PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Accrington and the Tax Man
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Accrington and the Tax Man  (Read 4305 times)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: September 02, 2009, 06:12:24 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/accrington_stanley/8234063.stm

selected quotes:-

"Accrington Stanley have been given eight weeks to pay back £308,000 to the Inland Revenue or face closure......... after being served with a winding up order in May for unpaid taxes "

"Chief executive Rob Heys told BBC Radio Lancashire: "Over the last few weeks the Revenue have become pushy and want their money back, which is fair enough."

beggars belief..

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Accrington and the Tax Man
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 07:36:15 PM »

No wonder their ex-chairman bailed out.

Where is he now? Helping out a club not so far from here?  ::)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Altyant

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 08:21:21 PM »

Didnt the report also say they want to pay two thirds back and then, try and the pay the rest at another point?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 09:21:49 PM »

I normally wouldn't say this about any rival club, Macc and Vics included, but I actually wouldn't be remotely upset if that horrible club and it's "club that wouldn't die" flag were to disappear altogether.

Some of the most objectionable and rude people I have ever come across in football, from their directors right down to their fans, with all the charm and grace of a pubic louse!

It was always quite obvious to me that they couldnt fund their football league revolution on crowds of 1100 without cutting corners somewhere. It's time to pay what they owe or face the consequences!
Come on Alty!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 09:28:48 PM »

Lets be honest I don't know a single clued up Alty fan who wouldn't find Accrington going under anything less than totally hilarious. A truly hideous excuse of a football club.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:08:23 AM »

Accrington Stanley!!

Who are they ??

gunners11

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:11:17 PM »

who would go up if accrington fold oxford mansfield or luton or do they relegate accrington in the bsp or bsn so they can get the money they needed it is a lot 308.000 .i think accrington should go down and stay there bsn not bsp see you lot later gunners11

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »

I don't want accy to fold!!!!!

I want to watch them to stay alive and sink disgracefully back from whence they came from and laugh at their dwindling attendances back to the 150 mark which is where they were when we were first unfortunate enough to come across them.....wouldn't it be delicious to do the double over them and send them down last day of the season?

Folding would be too mercilful and we'd be faced with the prospect of the club that wouldn't die 2009 plc reforming in the BSN coz they're such a big club and sooooooooooo popular amongst the footballing fraternity.

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 11:31:58 PM »

The original Accrington club folded in 1890.

The next one, the original Stanley, in 1961.

The phrase, I believe, is "going down for the third time". In which case there won't be ANY team to play in ANY league. Pass the Kleenex..........

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 12:15:47 AM »

Why don't we commission a giant football shirt in their colours and then have " Tax Man £308k" inscribed on it in preparation for when we play them again....?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 12:34:18 AM »

Why don't we commission a giant football shirt in their colours and then have " Tax Man £308k" inscribed on it in preparation for when we play them again....?

God that's so sharp you'd best be careful you don't cut yourself reading it!...nice one.

thegazelle

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 01:58:35 AM »

lets be honest they lived the dream for a few years but their new fans could have been alittle more gracious on the way up.
whats the saying about being able to look the people the people you trod on on the way up in the eye when your on the way back . i for one will take great delight in rubbing their feckin noses in it. any way most of the hornbloweresque type chaps will be watching burnley these days

non league and were proud of it

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 02:05:26 AM »

We could always accidently loan 'em an ineligible player and so nowt once we find out our error......well not say owt to Stanley, that is, but maybe inadvertently tip off a relegation rival once the player has clocked up a few games

Then again, it would not matter, the shambles that is the FA and Conf are now 'letting' big teams 'off' when this happens..........not bitter
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

taxi Phil

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 08:06:54 AM »

We could always accidently loan 'em an ineligible player and so nowt once we find out our error......well not say owt to Stanley, that is, but maybe inadvertently tip off a relegation rival once the player has clocked up a few games

Then again, it would not matter, the shambles that is the FA and Conf are now 'letting' big teams 'off' when this happens..........not bitter

I trust we won't be "rivalling" them this year, but The Whingeing Gloucestershire Tw*ts come readily to mind !

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 06:54:39 PM »

I remember a few mocking noises from over there a few years back about our own bucket collections.  I'm not usually one to revel in a club's struggle but it was clear that what they were doing was unsustainable and the collective heads were buried in the sand along with cheap digs at us.

No doubt the milk ad will be rolled out and they'll get something to see them through short term. But they are the footballing equivalent of Children in Need and I wish them a painful return to the local leagues.

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team