Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The most ridiculous match conditions ever!
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The most ridiculous match conditions ever!  (Read 6233 times)

whopper

« on: December 11, 2012, 08:45:02 AM »

I seem to remember us beating kidderminster in a game at moss lane in and chris senior diving into a pool of water at the side of the pitch, and this wasnt a celebration it was sarcasm!

I think also a very foggy burton defeat at moss lane didnt even see a goal!!

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The most ridiculous match conditions ever!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »

An unlikely 2-3 win at Macc when they shifted tons of snow to get the game on as we were poor at the time and they were desperate for the 3 points as they were closing in on the title. I work with Marc Clancy who played in that game, and we often discuss it.I remember the supporters coaches genuinely struggling to get up the hill on the other side of the airport tunnel.I think that's the last time we beat macc away from home

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »

An unlikely 2-3 win at Macc when they shifted tons of snow to get the game on as we were poor at the time and they were desperate for the 3 points as they were closing in on the title. I work with Marc Clancy who played in that game, and we often discuss it.I remember the supporters coaches genuinely struggling to get up the hill on the other side of the airport tunnel.I think that's the last time we beat macc away from home

I remember it well, 95-96 season IIRC. I was there behind the goal with my old man and the snow was piled high on all sides of the pitch. The 1-0 at Stafford in the Play off promotion season was pretty bad too, we had to drive the A roads all the way to Stafford cos the M6 was a shambles that day. Believe Super Col notched the winner.

Nom de plume

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 11:02:27 AM »

The ice rink that was Molyneux in January 1966. No-one could keep their feet and Jack Swindells looked as if he'd got skates on. The ref's decision to let that game go ahead was scandalous. We woz robbed! >:(

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »

The Drill Field, Boxing day 1994, not long before we played Spurs away in the cup. A white pitch with green lines due to fairly heavy snowfall and an orange ball with players slipping all over the place.

Come on Alty!

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »

The Drill Field, Boxing day 1994, not long before we played Spurs away in the cup. A white pitch with green lines due to fairly heavy snowfall and an orange ball with players slipping all over the place.

Was just going to mention that game. Neil Hardy slipping on his ass, I'm sure the players were wearing trainers

JDN

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »

It was boxing day 1995, the season after Spurs

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »

It was boxing day 1995, the season after Spurs

It was a farce, the game never should have gone ahead.
Come on Alty!

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »

Stafford get 2 mentions here. The Boxing Day 2005 game at theirs, where the whole pitch was covered in snow except the areas,centre circle and the lines. And the New Years Day game of the same season at ours that was abandoned after half an hour due to a heavy downpour the started at half 2.

Non-weather affected match conditions, Paces attempt at cutting the grass in 2001 (?) made sure that game was never going to be a football match!!
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »

Didn't Chris Sharrett score in that game at drill field? Ended 1-1? And we played spurs the following week?

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »

Those were the days my friend,
we thought they'd never end,
Snow and Ice for ever and a day,
it made your toes turn blue
and gave you colds and flu
those were the days oh yes those were the days,

na na na na na nah

everybody ..... ??

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 01:12:15 PM »

Didn't Chris Sharrett score in that game at drill field? Ended 1-1? And we played spurs the following week?

It may have been arctic weather two seasons on the bounce but I remember the one with Sharratt scoring late on being 94/5. George Oghani had pumps on I think!

JDN

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 01:30:03 PM »

It may have been arctic weather two seasons on the bounce but I remember the one with Sharratt scoring late on being 94/5. George Oghani had pumps on I think!
2nd January 95, just before Spurs, no snow that day. The following season boxing day 95 snow covered pitch

taxi Phil

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »

And in honour of tonight's postponement, the disgraceful surface at Droylsden a few years ago, which looked as as if a tractor had been driven over it. Stevie Hawes sent off, a crap night.

Altyroo

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »

A very Foggy Runcorn, Canal Street, Couldnt see the other end of the pitch. Abandoned needless to say. Early 90's.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team