News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Alty on Non-League Football Show

Author Topic: Alty on Non-League Football Show  (Read 2900 times)

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »

Just listened to Monday nights' BBC Non League Football Show, where Halifax's plight was discussed along with the implications for relegation / promotion down the Pyramid - starting with us.

One of the contributors was Stuart Hammond of the Non League Paper who amongst other pronouncements declared:-

(i)    "ask many fans and they'd prefer to see teams promoted (than re-instated)"
(ii)   "if you were to ask Graham Heathcote or Geoff Goodwin they'd rather go down and re-group"
(iii)  "Stalybridge or Southport would stand a better chance (than us)"

I think we can leave aside the opinions of this dim-wit who fails to address (or wishes to ignore) the points made on here as regards funding playing success by amassing large debts whilst having no ability to re-pay them. What is of concern is the repetition of his paper's story this Sunday, which although refuted by Grahame on here, Mr Hammond feels free to air on national radio albeit not directly quoting either Graham or Geoff.

As an Alty fan I'll believe our charman and manager over a hack anyday (sorry Connor). However, the fact that this viewpoint is being widely broadcast isn't  likely to make GH's job of recruting BSP standard players for next season any easier, never mind soothing our fears - particularly a few days before an open fans forum.

Can I ask that following the forum, where I'm sure the Board and GH will confirm we want to be in the BSP and compete positively, that the club issue a formal press statement confirming such (and send a copy to Mr Hammond!).

For info' here's the link - our bit is abour 30 mins in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/london_aod.shtml?london/nonleague

markecky

Re: Alty on Non-League Football Show
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:40:03 PM »

I had a conversation with Geoff Goodwin last night.  I don't want to steal his thunder as he will explain to people on Thursday but he most certainly does not want us in the Conference North.

He rang me to say that  he was trying not to appear like he was glad Halifax had gone bump...which of course he isn't.

The questions were completely loaded, for example..

"So Geoff...you must be delighted that Halifax Town have gone and you have stayed up"

to whiich Geoff replied

"No I'm not delighted at all...I didn't want to stay up at the expense of someone losing their club..."

which they translated to not being pleased we had stayed up.

Slaughter him for many things if you like but not that as he is gobsmacked at how it came out. 

I'm not sure what he plans to do but I agree a counter statement should be issued.

markecky

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 03:09:52 PM »

60 views and no comments?

Alty365

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 03:42:03 PM »

It is encouraging to hear that Geoff does want to be in this league and I would find it bewildering if he did not. It will be interesting to see what he has to say on Thursday night and despite the opinions I have expressed thus far on a number of matters I will keep an open mind until then.

It does appear, on the basis of your conversation last night, as though the person who conducted this interview is guilty of some shameful "twisting" of the truth. We will get everything straight from the horse's mouth on Thursday night and that is what we should base our opinions upon in this instance.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »

Well maybe people are leaving it till the meeting and don't want to be going all negative again.

For what it's worth, I find it VERY hard to believe that he did not say something along those lines to NLP ..... if he did not then he should be taking action against NLP. What makes it hard to believe for me is that he's made these sort of noises in the past (like last season). No smoke without fire and all that, and I can see the startings of a raging bush fire.

I think there's a certain amount of telling people what he thinks they want to hear, but if he made no such comments then action should be taken and a STRONG statement made to the media, because as JTH quite rightly points out, this is very damaging to how we appear as a club (as if we don't have enough to be going on with).

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 04:15:17 PM »

I find that a bit insulting to be honest mate.  I'm not an impressionable child.

I know before the article he was glad of the reprieve, speaking positively about a proper pre season this time etc etc  and even said a few times "people think I don't want it but I do".

I'm not his spokesman so we'll leave it to the meeting.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »

Well maybe people are leaving it till the meeting and don't want to be going all negative again.

For what it's worth, I find it VERY hard to believe that he did not say something along those lines to NLP ..... if he did not then he should be taking action against NLP. What makes it hard to believe for me is that he's made these sort of noises in the past (like last season). No smoke without fire and all that, and I can see the startings of a raging bush fire.

I think there's a certain amount of telling people what he thinks they want to hear, but if he made no such comments then action should be taken and a STRONG statement made to the media, because as JTH quite rightly points out, this is very damaging to how we appear as a club (as if we don't have enough to be going on with).

UG,

Indeed....and therein lies the problem.
His previously expressed comments about not being upset at the prospect of a relegation to the Blue Square North (e.g. at Fans' Forums) coincide with the tone of this recent article in the NLP.

Do Alty not have a Press Officer to co-ordinate relations with the media and issue club statements in response to these types of questions from journalists?

As we have seen in recent weeks, PR skills are not overflowing at Moss Lane.  
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

altrincham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 04:30:30 PM »

What message do these alleged comments put out to young/new  supporters and possible future Altrincham players  >:(

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 06:20:32 PM »

I find that a bit insulting to be honest mate.  I'm not an impressionable child.

I know before the article he was glad of the reprieve, speaking positively about a proper pre season this time etc etc  and even said a few times "people think I don't want it but I do".

I'm not his spokesman so we'll leave it to the meeting.

My humblest apologies Ecky as that was FAR from what I intended, but realise it could have been worded better. I NEVER thought for one minute that you are an impressionable child. It's so easy to misread textual input as no intonation or immediate explanation is available. I DO NOT think that you are gullible, but do feel that GG needs a few lessons in PR or needs to leave such statements to someone who is more PR savvy

My main point was that GG SEEMS to be consistent in a feeling of not being that arsed about being in the Conference national and SEEMS to be more than happy to be at BSN level. These are not isolated comments. Hence why I find his statements now hard to believe...there is NO consistency here.

All he had to say was something along the lines of:

"I'm delighted that Altrincham will be playing in the BSP next season and that we now have virtually the full close season to prepare. Hwoever, I am extremely saddened about the goings-on at Halifax and would not wish that on any other club. We wish them all the best in their future endeavours and our thoughts are with them and their supporters at this time."

Not that difficult really IF that is how you actually feel.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:27:57 PM by Uncle Globnasty »
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »

At the end of the day, Geoff, Graham etc. have got this club back to the Conference, which I feared we may never see again in past years.

In a sense it doesn't really matter too much what Geoff said as long as he's not planningt otell the Conference to give any reprieve to Stafford instead now. If we stay up, we should all pull together and try and make the best of it.  And at the end of the day we are a solvent club who would expect to stay up next season with a very respected management team (don't underestimate the pull of Graham Barrow with his experience and contacts) and I think we will be able to get the players we want as far as is possible for a club in our position.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 08:00:11 PM »

Do Alty not have a Press Officer to co-ordinate relations with the media and issue club statements in response to these types of questions from journalists?

Jeesuz Cult, you're a dry one at times!  :D
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team