PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Leek v Brackley Tuesday
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Leek v Brackley Tuesday  (Read 6375 times)

Alty_best

Leak town Saturday
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 10:27:38 PM »

Leek Town 2-1 Brackley Town after extra time 1-1 after 90 mins. Att 236..
So Leek Town now visit Altrincham this Saturday. Alty currently have two player doubts; Nicky Clee with a tight hamstring and James Walshaw, who has had a bug.
Hope walshaw will get thourght this quick

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Leek v Brackley Tuesday
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »

Nice to see Anthony Danilyk back at Alty. Chuffed that Leek beat Turley's mob  and their plastic A Team fans

Jenga

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 01:13:41 PM »

This will be a tough but interesting game.

A good opportunity for us to progress and get Grimsby at home who bring 300 or so fans.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »

One of my fondest memories is a FA Trophy match against Leek in 72-73.  Leek had 3 shots on target and we found ourselves 3-0 down at Moss Lane.

Alty must have had over 50 shots on target that day before running out 4-3 winners; super Alan Wolfe netted twice with John Cooke and John Owens notching the other 2

We travelled to Southern League Telford in the next round, drew 2-2 and turned them over at Moss Lane 2-0.  I remember a trip to Buxton in the snow in january 73 for the game to be postponed.  I did not get to the midweek rearranged fixture that saw us go out 0-2.

The Leek game was only our second ever win in the history of the FA Trophy!

taxi Phil

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »

Under 1973 regulations, the Buxton pitch was playable......but the Sheffield based referee apparently inspected it accompanied by his son. The young man said "If it snows again, we're not going to make it home tonight."

Thus was the match postponed.......and I cadged a lift home on the team coach.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2013, 10:15:36 PM »

Under 1973 regulations, the Buxton pitch was playable......but the Sheffield based referee apparently inspected it accompanied by his son. The young man said "If it snows again, we're not going to make it home tonight."

Thus was the match postponed.......and I cadged a lift home on the team coach.

Phil, I didn't see the pitch, therefore cannot comment, but 2 things happened that day that I have not experienced....before or since.... that indicated to me that it probably was unplayable:-

1) The Kick Off was brought forward the day before to 2pm because even then they were 100% certain that the pitch would be unplayable by 4pm.

2) As I got off the 'Alty Supporters Train' at Buxton station around 2.10pm (the kick off time may have changed but the train time didn't), my fear for the game being postponed was heightened, on exiting the station, by the sight of an individual skiing down the high street!

January 20th 1973.....my 3rd Alty away game & we haven't had a supporters train to an FA Trophy match since, to my  knowledge?

I didn't see the replay, when I believe Peter Frankish had a nightmare in goal & our kid (who was 9 at the time) & I also grabbed a lift back on the team coach & then went to watch the team training at Moss Lane.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:27:19 PM by Brian Flynn »

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2013, 10:21:54 PM »

One of my fondest memories is a FA Trophy match against Leek in 72-73.  Leek had 3 shots on target and we found ourselves 3-0 down at Moss Lane.

Alty must have had over 50 shots on target that day before running out 4-3 winners; super Alan Wolfe netted twice with John Cooke and John Owens notching the other 2

We travelled to Southern League Telford in the next round, drew 2-2 and turned them over at Moss Lane 2-0.  I remember a trip to Buxton in the snow in january 73 for the game to be postponed.  I did not get to the midweek rearranged fixture that saw us go out 0-2.

The Leek game was only our second ever win in the history of the FA Trophy!

Bill......you have covered my article in tomorrow's match programme there :o

My first ever FA Trophy game & like you, it stands out as one of my fondest memories.

Does anyone remember what league Leek were in at the time? From memory, we have only played one other team from that league in the last 41 years.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:29:09 PM by Brian Flynn »

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2013, 11:49:53 PM »

Manchester league?

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2013, 11:52:18 PM »