News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Luton fans

Author Topic: Luton fans  (Read 4111 times)

Dougals Dad

Luton fans
« on: October 17, 2009, 06:22:01 PM »

Did anyone see this: "The match ended with a fleet of police vehicles at Moss Lane after a small number of Luton Town fans invaded the pitch."

The commentators on the radio (who were pretty good btw) commented on their being no police (must be used to a police presence at Kenilworth Rd). Do we have to pay for any police?

baldrick

Re: Luton fans
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 06:46:01 PM »

I saw five police cars outside after the game, but apart from a few people hitting the advertising boards there was no trouble.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:53:28 PM »

Just what our club needs, a nice bill from the local constabulary! (no pun intended)
Come on Alty!

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 07:13:22 PM »

I saw five police cars outside after the game, but apart from a few people hitting the advertising boards there was no trouble.

Would you not consider encroaching onto the pitch committing a criminal offence 'no trouble' ?

baldrick

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 07:55:27 PM »

Would you not consider encroaching onto the pitch committing a criminal offence 'no trouble' ?

Not really, no. You obviously haven't experienced much trouble at football.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »

i do think it is a bit naive not having a police presence for the ex league clubs coming in large numbers

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 08:16:27 PM »

Due to events in earlier years many things in football grounds are now criminal offences. Pitch encroachment is one, however in a common sense world there is a million miles between a few fans getting a bit giddy and celebrating and someone threatening a player or attempting to get to opposing fans. Unfortunately due to the volatile nature of football and football supporters there is not a grey area, but to be honest although I wasn't there today a bit of exhuberence is not the same as an aggressive invasion. Like its not as if we've ever been on the pitch away especially in lower leagues is it?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »

There was an obvious change in the demeanour of a (small admittedly) proportion of the Luton Support when they sussed out that there was no Police presence at the ground.

Amongst the Stewarding staff there is now a substantial amount of experience and, having identified this change of demeanour, it made sense in my view to request Police support whilst the situation was still under our control.  I'm not for a second suggesting that it would have got out of our control but surely it is safer to be 100% certain?

Interestingly enough, having gone in small numbers into the Luton end, the Police didn't send any of their number away, in fact more arrived.

Well done to the Stewarding Staff

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:00:38 PM »

That was the 4th club this season so far with a plus 500 following Chester AFC Wimbledon Mansfield and now Luton, Before any match takes place there is consultation between the clubs and police. The police were called today (By myself) because after the pitch invaision the stewards tried to eject the said perpetrators and were threathen by about another 6-7 of there mates (It was only a small number of Luton fans 30-40 who wanted to cause trouble.) and were worried for there safety and of others.
Most of you wouldn't have seen the first pitch invasion when are penalty was awarded.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:02:11 PM by Darren »
@AltyDaz

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 10:19:20 PM »

Yes, agreed, well done stewards, its good to see the professional job done at Moss Lane, and without any unnecessary drama too.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »

The intrusion by a few Luton fans onto the pictch was spotted and mentioned by the Radio commentators.

nimega

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 01:50:04 PM »

Our stewards are great.

I was sat in the family stand and had a good view of what was happening. They stopped people entering the away stand from the family stand as a precaution, which was probably slightly over-cautious but sensible strategy (i.e. its best to be over-cautious if uncertain).

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Luton fans