PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Worcester Match Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: Worcester Match Thread  (Read 24207 times)

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 04:17:12 PM »

I'm not suggesting you don't do it or even that you can control yourself. I groan as much as anyone else.

It's not "our" fault the team aren't doing well but its certainly become a contributary factor.

Why does any pundit talk about "silencing the crowd"  The crowd is the twelfth man but only when they are contributing positively.

Negative vibes do exactly the opposite.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 04:20:03 PM »

Most patient fans in non-league and again get a kicking - nice.  We used to be the Man utd of non league football, at the moment we are more likely the Bolton, soon to be the portsmouth.  Probably best if we all stop caring
Bernard Taylors barmy army

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 04:32:06 PM »

So is Wilkinson still out then?  Him for one of Lawrie or Miller if not.

Ashley Alty

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 04:40:52 PM »

Is Wilko injured?

roytonmike

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 04:45:04 PM »

re Greg Wilkinson - he was 'iced up' after last Saturday according to the physio's piece in Tuesday's programme, & wasn't in the 16 that evening, though the impression was given then that he had been expected to be available. Make of that what you will.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 05:09:59 PM »

I only didn't select Greg because I think we can only afford two out of him, Lawrie and Miller and I've just seen a bit more of the other two this season.

andrewflynn

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 06:40:47 PM »

5-4-1:

Marsh

Miller, Moult, Goodall, Richman

McWilliams, Hall, Thomas, Heathcote, Patterson

Deasy

For all JH wants us to "play to our strengths" as a good attacking side, we didn't actually create a clear cut chance against BPA on Tuesday. Our goals were long range. We are a bad football team, so I'd much rather see us set up to be defensive, frustrating and tight in the hope we can grab something.

Much improved, battle well but fall to a 1-0 loss. 22 away fans.

roytonmike

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 06:45:59 PM »

I only didn't select Greg because I think we can only afford two out of him, Lawrie and Miller and I've just seen a bit more of the other two this season.
I would agree that if all three are fit we can only find space for two of them; if Wilkinson is fit he gets one of those places for me simply because he can pass a ball to another player in a similarly coloured shirt more often than the other two combined. I presume the new loanee - of whom I confess to knowing nothing - will go into central defence. Either Cyrus or Hall could make way - for me it's as broad as it's long. For my money we have to have two potential ball-winners in midfield, which implies Richman & Moult (Goodall might qualify if he weren't so slow). Maybe Lawrie could play behind Reeves (Marsh is still in my honest opinion not match fit enough to start - he was blowing by half-time on Tuesday)? I wonder whether Cain might be considered as a left wing pure & simple, with the aim of getting to the by-line & putting low crosses into the box to see what might happen (crosses above head height being counter-productive).
I hope my journey tomorrow will prove to be necessary!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:49:04 PM by roytonmike »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 06:46:21 PM »

Just to be clear, I am not blaming the fans for their actions. It's just a natural reaction to some terrible performances.

It does put extra pressure on the players shoulders though and sometimes teams do perform better away than at home as a result. 

If you are going on Saturday I hope  you have as much opportunity to cheer as BPA did. I also hope you know more than one song :-)

We could always attempt a version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZuxwVk7TU

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 07:12:09 PM »

Just to be clear, I am not blaming the fans for their actions. It's just a natural reaction to some terrible performances.

It does put extra pressure on the players shoulders though and sometimes teams do perform better away than at home as a result.  

If you are going on Saturday I hope  you have as much opportunity to cheer as BPA did. I also hope you know more than one song :-)

We could always attempt a version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZuxwVk7TU

I'm all for more of this sort of thing.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 07:37:20 PM »

Most patient fans in non-league and again get a kicking - nice.  We used to be the Man utd of non league football, at the moment we are more likely the Bolton, soon to be the portsmouth.  Probably best if we all stop caring

It's not a kicking. It's an observation. I just hope that tomorrow with far fewer of us there to groan, they'll run a bit faster, pass a bit better and maybe grow just a bit in confidence. It needs to start coming from somewhere.

Having a wholesale clear out is totally realistic so the guys pulling on the shirt have got to turn it around. There were signs on Tuesday but it didn't last long.

Andy@Worcester

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 08:39:52 PM »

Slightly off topic I know, but for anyone travelling to the game tomorrow, and who has a car and doesnt mind a moderate diversion on the way home via Derby, and likes blues/rock guitar, then I have a free ticket going for this gig at the Flower Pot in Derby  ...

Its basically Rory Gallagher's original band members, Gerry McAvoy and Ted McKenna with a Dutch guy who plays like the late Rory (as if anyone could) ...

http://www.seetickets.com/event/band-of-friends/the-flowerpot/981846

If anybody would like the ticket, please post on here, and I shall bring it to the game and leave it for collection in the front office (usually manned by Graham 'Benny' Hill) at the Victoria Ground. Dont make the mistake I did, though ... the event is for over 18s only, due to it being licensed premises ...  If more of you want to go than one, I guess other tickets may still be available for purchase online...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:41:44 PM by Andy@Worcester »

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 09:15:50 PM »

I stay in a hotel opposite the Flower Pot all week as I work in Derby.  It is one of a surprisingly high number of excellent pubs in the city.

taxi Phil

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 10:35:09 PM »

I stay in a hotel opposite the Flower Pot all week as I work in Derby.  It is one of a surprisingly high number of excellent pubs in the city.

Derby is one of the best cities in England for a real ale pub crawl.

Not going tomorrow as I've had a week off and I'm skint. Which is a pity, as that gig would be right up my street.

Bath Alty

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 11:57:47 PM »

Sorry we won't see you tomorrow Phil,  Dad's got his driving license back from the medical people so it's first game of the season tomorrow
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Worcester Match Thread