PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 England euro 2012 thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: England euro 2012 thread  (Read 47751 times)

whopper

Re: England euro 2012 thread
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 10:06:08 PM »

Christ! Do people on here live in a church or something :D

john terrys just a dirtball but its not like he's a murderer or rapist like some sportsmen, lets put it in perspective...maradona is a cheating little druggie but in his hayday i would of defied anyone to not pick him on morales alone, thats football im afraid

York Alty

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 10:24:14 PM »

You'll not find me in a church!

Fully accept the point that players get picked because of their skills, (so long as they're not serving a prison sentence).  That's not going to change soon.  I just wish there was somebody with the nadgers to say to repeat scumbags like Terry that enough is enough.  John Terry isn't fussed about a fine, he's not too bothered about his public image by the way he behaves (though I think he had a secret super injunction????).  The only thing that can affect his life in a way that would make wake him up is not being able to represent his country.  It may even do him good.

oh well - back to the real world.

whopper

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »

Sorry to troll on as usual but are we gonna have the games on in the bar like old times?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:23:33 PM by dangerbeak »

Hamilton

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 11:25:04 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18081125

Ferdinand to be left out of squad, Terry to be included???

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 11:25:35 PM »

Sorry to troll on as usual but are we gonna have the games on in the bar like old times?

Perhaps we can have another beer festival ?    ???    Hic !!!  

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 11:28:57 PM »

We need to look forward and hence, no matter what they have done in their careers of varying lengths the following, amongst others, should not appear in an England squad ever again

Terry
Ferdinand
Lampard
Cole (A)
Cole (J)
Gerrard
Scholes
Johnson (G)
Crouch
Defoe
Bent (D)

The front two for the games where Rooney is unavailable should best reflect the percieved weaknesses of the opposition and may involve Andy Carroll, Danny Wellbeck, Daniel Sturridge and Grant Holt

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 11:41:23 PM »

I don't really rate Terry, but if Ferdinand isn't going who else is there?

Lescott has done ok this season I suppose, and Cahill isn't bad but neither are that far ahead of Terry and neither have his experience.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

fuertes

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 08:54:45 AM »

Well, we all knew Ferdinand and Terry wouldn't both be in the squad. But I thought Terry going and Ferdinand staying was the least likely option, notwithstanding Hodgson's preference for 'no nonsense' defenders (Hangeland, Hughes, etc).

The positive stuff about Terry in this thread is largely bollocks. His powers have been on the wane for years, and even at his best his was massively overrated by media idiots talking about 'captain marvel', 'die-hard spirit' and worst of all 'passion'. The fact is he's slow, positionally naive and at times impetuous.

I accept a sprinkling of experience is required even if you're looking to the future with a young squad. But John Terry? Oh dear.

whopper

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »

I would say terry is up there with most of the centre backs for the contenders for the trophy, mertesacker with germany, chellini for italy etc,not forgetting the guys in the champions league final, proof there that he is a good player

RocketDan

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »

We need to look forward and hence, no matter what they have done in their careers of varying lengths the following, amongst others, should not appear in an England squad ever again

Terry
Ferdinand
Lampard
Cole (A)
Cole (J)
Gerrard
Scholes
Johnson (G)
Crouch
Defoe
Bent (D)

The front two for the games where Rooney is unavailable should best reflect the percieved weaknesses of the opposition and may involve Andy Carroll, Danny Wellbeck, Daniel Sturridge and Grant Holt

Scholes has been the best player in the premiership in 2012.

if he wants to play, he should be the first name on the team sheet.

whopper

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »

Dan, yaya toure devoured paul scholes consistantly in the league :)

brian1925

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »

Agree with ATS about leaving out all the past failures. How about,
Hart, Richards, Baines, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Shelvey, Oxade, Walcott, Young and Rooney/Wellbeck plus Sturridge, A Johnson, Carroll, Kelly n Ruddy
Shame many of our quality young players are injured,Walker, Rodwell and Wilshire
Would probably get hammered, but at least it's fresh and new. Honestly don't think I could stomach Barry, Lampard and Gerrard failing again.

Altyrocket

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 01:14:11 PM »

England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

fuertes

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 01:15:34 PM »

Hardly a top drawer front line...

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »

Grant Holt should be in the line-up

also what are the chances of a few wba players turning up? Nicky Shorey for example?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 England euro 2012 thread