PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Long Term Altrincham FC Support
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Long Term Altrincham FC Support  (Read 33552 times)

RedWhiteRedWhite

Re: Long Term Altrincham FC Support
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 12:32:42 PM »

Lets do it then. Really.

Moss Lane is free (corporates and local league cup finals aside) from 30.04.2011...schools finish middle part of July. Plenty of time in there to do this.
10 schools...squads of 15, would bring 150 players...plus friends and family of each player and not to mention supporters from the school.

The only hurdle is the willingness of the club to allow the games to be played on the pitch. Holding only the finals there would detract from the lure of the competition, and be completely against the objective of raising engagement with the club. I guess it's a case of...do we want an absolute carpet of a pitch 100% of the time...or do we want to try and get a few more fans and a potential young prodigy through the doors...in return for a bit of damage.

I think this idea has legs though...i never realised being Sepp Blatter can be so non-corrupt!

Butty

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »

The old saying about rich people staying rich, is that their wealth opens them up to investment opportunities and tax breaks that are inaccessible to normal folk. One of these perks is most definitely not, a non-league football club...even more so, given the current economic climate.

I agree with the comments about grass roots. Doesn't South Trafford College have a football programme we could be affiliated with? Back in my days at "Welly Road" we never played competitive football, only friendlies...what about Altrincham creating a local schools cup competition? Make it really competitive - champions leage style - have the lure of playing at Moss Lane, plus having ten schools and their families and friends come and watch, might get them hooked. (Ken can also take a look at some of the up-and-coming locals. Kieran Westwood went to Welly Road...and is now 1st choice keeper at Coventry City!)
I believe there already is a Trafford League at all age groups for schools/colleges, so I think the idea has already been covered, unless the club get involved with the existing league.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 09:48:43 PM »

Having given this some serious thought, I think we really need to consider what our collective ambition is for Altrincham F.C. in the future. Do we want to rediscover our past glories and challenge at the top of the conference whilst enjoying regular runs in the cup and trophy, or are we happy to drop down to conf north and maybe yo-yo between conf national and conf north periodically?

With our current resources (and I must acknowledge the amazing work done by everybody at the club 24/7 to keep us on an even keel financially) it is hard to see how we can ever be anything more than a bottom half conference outfit. I've been amazed by the last two seasons when we really over-achieved at times and it truly was a credit to everybody involved. Furthermore, I still believe we can turn things round this season and survive. However, our opponents in this league seem to get richer and richer each season and we appear to be getting left behind. So, do we try and bring new investment in (I emphasise "investment", not a sugar daddy splashing the cash) or do we accept that the past is the past and set ourselves more achievable goals based on the resources we have at our disposal?

I think we should always aim to be as high up as possible, that's a given, but if we harbour any ambition to be a top non-league side again I think it's going to take something pretty special to achieve it. However, if we want it badly enough there surely must be a way?

Please discuss.....
Come on Alty!

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »

I have a friend on the course and he tells me that the semi-pro standard part was completely abandoned and players and the manager were not involved at all as it was said they would be. The only connection with the club is that it is done at the ground. Also there was NO ability assessment meaning anyone who applied could get on the course.

I wasn't aware of this (my nephew's on the course) ???

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 10:12:23 AM »

Having given this some serious thought, I think we really need to consider what our collective ambition is for Altrincham F.C. in the future. Do we want to rediscover our past glories and challenge at the top of the conference whilst enjoying regular runs in the cup and trophy, or are we happy to drop down to conf north and maybe yo-yo between conf national and conf north periodically?

With our current resources (and I must acknowledge the amazing work done by everybody at the club 24/7 to keep us on an even keel financially) it is hard to see how we can ever be anything more than a bottom half conference outfit. I've been amazed by the last two seasons when we really over-achieved at times and it truly was a credit to everybody involved. Furthermore, I still believe we can turn things round this season and survive. However, our opponents in this league seem to get richer and richer each season and we appear to be getting left behind. So, do we try and bring new investment in (I emphasise "investment", not a sugar daddy splashing the cash) or do we accept that the past is the past and set ourselves more achievable goals based on the resources we have at our disposal?

I think we should always aim to be as high up as possible, that's a given, but if we harbour any ambition to be a top non-league side again I think it's going to take something pretty special to achieve it. However, if we want it badly enough there surely must be a way?

Please discuss.....

First of all, we still are a top non-league side.  We are, in my view, in our best state as a club off the pitch since the mid 80s. Our hard core support has held strong and whilst some have overtaken us, many more others have dropped down the leagues or had to reform. We deserve a great deal of credit for hovering around the same level.

We also need to remember that our greatest successes were in a different era where the structure and money flow in the game were very different.  The problem is the presence of many ex league clubs with far bigger resources than ours.  We can't control that and its very difficult to compete with it. 

Talk of "investment" is unrealistic.  Its about directors who'll put in significant sums of money without expecting to get it back.  In the current climate this is harder than ever.

For me, cup runs etc don't solve the long term problem unless you have the infrastructure in place to back it up. Plenty of clubs have had very good cup runs but fallen back down again very quickly.  Besides, getting a mega cup run is the equivalent of winning the lottery and you can't bank on that happening.

Long term the only solution is the build from the bottom up.  More interraction with schools, cut price season tickets for kids, more community events.  If there is one thing that this club badly needs (and this is no criticism of anyone who helps the club at the moment - they are giving up a hell of a lot of free time, money and effort which is more than I'm currently doing) then it would be a greater push of PR, marketing and publicity for the club in the town and wider area.  If we pay someone to do it then so be it because I honestly believe the potential is there.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 12:25:39 PM »

There has been a few things posted about getting schools / junior football teams involved etc. Unfortunately convincing the kids to come and watch Alty is not as easy as it may first appear......we should never give up on trying because the kids of today are obviously tomorrows  future. However the point I want to make is that getting local kids involved in playing / the community stuff and being supporter of AFC are vaguely linked. One does not achieve the other.

Please be aware that Altrincham FC currently runs many junior sides (successfully) in the local leagues......how many kids come and watch the club on a Saturday ? I don't know the numbers, but I suspect only a small group. Some volunteers / level 1 coaches running the junior sides are big Alty fans and will be providing lots of encouragement to the kids to come along on matchdays. It's not like nothing is happening already.

I am involved myself with a local lads team and there are others on this forum who also travel home and away who are involved at the same club as me. I know from experience that I cannot even get lads to come along on a freebie when tickets have been offered to our club. From age 11 - 16 there has been little interest. We 'advertised' it well too, but they just want to watch Utd or City on TV.
Sorry to be so negative, but it is a fact >:(

Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

fuertes

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 12:39:34 PM »

There has been a few things posted about getting schools / junior football teams involved etc. Unfortunately convincing the kids to come and watch Alty is not as easy as it may first appear......we should never give up on trying because the kids of today are obviously tomorrows  future. However the point I want to make is that getting local kids involved in playing / the community stuff and being supporter of AFC are vaguely linked. One does not achieve the other.

Please be aware that Altrincham FC currently runs many junior sides (successfully) in the local leagues......how many kids come and watch the club on a Saturday ? I don't know the numbers, but I suspect only a small group. Some volunteers / level 1 coaches running the junior sides are big Alty fans and will be providing lots of encouragement to the kids to come along on matchdays. It's not like nothing is happening already.

I am involved myself with a local lads team and there are others on this forum who also travel home and away who are involved at the same club as me. I know from experience that I cannot even get lads to come along on a freebie when tickets have been offered to our club. From age 11 - 16 there has been little interest. We 'advertised' it well too, but they just want to watch Utd or City on TV.
Sorry to be so negative, but it is a fact >:(

Completely understand what you're saying, but considering we almost always kickoff at 3pm on a Saturday, can't you convince them to come down in the knowledge they won't be missing either of the big two?

Or does the curse of the dodgy Scandinavian satellite dish strike again?

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 12:48:22 PM »

Unfortunately, my group are not interested in anything outside the Premier League........it the culture that TV and society has generated.

They believe NL football it too sub-standard to even consider watching. I once asked if they would come along to Stockport or Bury if I could get tickets....to a football fan like myself, who as a boy would go and watch Staveley Miners Welfare / Sheffield FC on a free ticket, then the response is depressing. I wish we could reverse the trend, but I fear the only way is to build-up a fanbase over many years by being successful (maybe like Wigan) :(
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »

My 2 lads go to BTH on a Sat morning where Chris Bullock and John Halfpenny run the Alty Under 8 and  below stuff prior to the proper teams taking over at Under 9. Chris quite often plugs the Alty game, and my gobsh*te son will always shout out who they are playing. When he was mascot I got him to tell Chris who had him stand up and tell everyone.

But like you say, you'd think you could get a bigger following from them but no one seems that bothered.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 09:03:03 PM by beaker141 »

Dynamo Joe

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 04:01:18 PM »

I believe Paulton Rovers, who had a televised tie against Norwich last year spent the money on a training ground which they could use and also rent out to other clubs, so something like that could improve our infrastructure long term.

Peter McGuigan, the Morecambe chairman, has just done something similar for them. OK so their facility is adjacent to the football ground, something we'd struggle with unless you fancy taking on a load of fork wielding allotment holders, but still....

And he lives in Bowden too....

bumble

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »

After the suggestion that few turn up from the alty juniors set up - I'd like to say that in my (ex) team - 8 out of the 15 have attended so far from my memory.

I am one of those ex-Alty Junior players, who due to the free tickets and free season ticket am now a huge fan, every week I attend home and away games (every one bar Bath and H/Y). I used to go in the main stand every week , however it wasnt the best atmosphere, then one game I stood in the Golf Rod end and the difference in enjoyment was HUGE.
  i love attending games, and I know many of the players from my age group(alty juniors) do attend most home, and  some away games. I see a lot of young alty juniors players there as well.

Thanks to 4 free season tickets - the club has a life long supporter so based on the maths alone - a loss in £200 (four junior season tickets) - has resulted in an extra ticket bought this year - an extra fan on most away trips - and all the season ticket money in the future.

Back to the topic in hand - I think the leaflet/letter idea ( I already deliver leaflets, yellow pages, phone books, and newspapers) and I am more than happy to do anything along those lines. In fact any event I would be more than happy to help organise. I also think the idea of building the fan base is great - like I said, the club now has me as a fan not done to the odd free ticket but two/three season tickets.
Back to the question at hand.....

After mulling it over I have come up with the following:

Short term - gimmicky things such as a free mince pie may work ? if ever supporter who regularly comes, bought a pack of mince pies ( as little as 89p) we could give these out at half term or a turnstile

If you were there on Saturday (and although it was mocked) you would have noticed, throughout the game you were reminded if you bought a program and “Player X” did something then you would win a “Big ass Burritto” - it wouldnt bring many fans in but I think its something we could look at implementing – as a way of increasing the advertising – if its with the match sponsor or something in the program. “ a free Mars bar if Stewart (or James) keeps a clean sheet (yes unlikely currently) or “free glass / half pint at _________ if we _______” ?

- Get the schools involved - in a similar system to the "Local Club system"  - not every football fan play football at an age - perhaps invited them to come early ? they have a system in primary school where for every half term all the subjects must be linked - ie (humanities,PE,science,maths,English and technology i think )  SPORTS ---> maths, difference in scores, geography where world cup teams come from - usually tied into a trip at the end.

-I remember back in primary school every winter/summer fair - the club would donate a family ticket as a prize to the "nail in the board game" -  I won one year - the idea of the whole family involved - something for them to do together and cheap
- After the last blank FL/prem week i spoke to my uncle ( a united season ticket holder) and he came down with a few mates paid a fiver entry, and at the family do the next day all he talked about was how much he loved it - he now attends when united dont have a game on Saturday and he isn't working - perhaps we could do more of these ie. when city/united arent playing on a Saturday?

My other idea is a little controversial which will have people moaning  - but i thought id throw it in to the mix (its proven to work)

PAY WHAT YOU THINK DAY (or over a few weeks - towards the end of the season maybe?)

It is proven that people (on average) pay more or what its normally worth -

Three Examples:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4196448/You-decide-how-much-meals-are-worth-restaurants-tell-customers.html
and
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/mansfield_town/8492556.stm]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/mansfield_town/8492556.stm
and
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7037219.stm
However Id tweak it slightly in - you pay on the way out- people come in through the turnstiles- then people leave the same way paying on what they think the days worth?

Sorry for any spelling mistakes

bighairedmike

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 05:15:43 PM »

After the suggestion that few turn up from the alty juniors set up - I'd like to say that in my (ex) team - 8 out of the 15 have attended so far from my memory.

I am one of those ex-Alty Junior players, who due to the free tickets and free season ticket am now a huge fan, every week I attend home and away games (every one bar Bath and H/Y). I used to go in the main stand every week , however it wasnt the best atmosphere, then one game I stood in the Golf Rod end and the difference in enjoyment was HUGE.
  i love attending games, and I know many of the players from my age group(alty juniors) do attend most home, and  some away games. I see a lot of young alty juniors players there as well.

Thanks to 4 free season tickets - the club has a life long supporter so based on the maths alone - a loss in £200 (four junior season tickets) - has resulted in an extra ticket bought this year - an extra fan on most away trips - and all the season ticket money in the future.

Back to the topic in hand - I think the leaflet/letter idea ( I already deliver leaflets, yellow pages, phone books, and newspapers) and I am more than happy to do anything along those lines. In fact any event I would be more than happy to help organise. I also think the idea of building the fan base is great - like I said, the club now has me as a fan not done to the odd free ticket but two/three season tickets.
Back to the question at hand.....

After mulling it over I have come up with the following:

Short term - gimmicky things such as a free mince pie may work ? if ever supporter who regularly comes, bought a pack of mince pies ( as little as 89p) we could give these out at half term or a turnstile

If you were there on Saturday (and although it was mocked) you would have noticed, throughout the game you were reminded if you bought a program and “Player X” did something then you would win a “Big ass Burritto” - it wouldnt bring many fans in but I think its something we could look at implementing – as a way of increasing the advertising – if its with the match sponsor or something in the program. “ a free Mars bar if Stewart (or James) keeps a clean sheet (yes unlikely currently) or “free glass / half pint at _________ if we _______” ?

- Get the schools involved - in a similar system to the "Local Club system"  - not every football fan play football at an age - perhaps invited them to come early ? they have a system in primary school where for every half term all the subjects must be linked - ie (humanities,PE,science,maths,English and technology i think )  SPORTS ---> maths, difference in scores, geography where world cup teams come from - usually tied into a trip at the end.

-I remember back in primary school every winter/summer fair - the club would donate a family ticket as a prize to the "nail in the board game" -  I won one year - the idea of the whole family involved - something for them to do together and cheap
- After the last blank FL/prem week i spoke to my uncle ( a united season ticket holder) and he came down with a few mates paid a fiver entry, and at the family do the next day all he talked about was how much he loved it - he now attends when united dont have a game on Saturday and he isn't working - perhaps we could do more of these ie. when city/united arent playing on a Saturday?

My other idea is a little controversial which will have people moaning  - but i thought id throw it in to the mix (its proven to work)

PAY WHAT YOU THINK DAY (or over a few weeks - towards the end of the season maybe?)

It is proven that people (on average) pay more or what its normally worth -

Three Examples:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4196448/You-decide-how-much-meals-are-worth-restaurants-tell-customers.html
and
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/mansfield_town/8492556.stm]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/mansfield_town/8492556.stm
and
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7037219.stm
However Id tweak it slightly in - you pay on the way out- people come in through the turnstiles- then people leave the same way paying on what they think the days worth?

Sorry for any spelling mistakes

All great suggestions. Have a goodwin. However, with the pay what you think idea its best not to let people pay on the way out. If they saw a crawley for example then they'd be less inclined to pay anything. Do it on the way in is a better way I reckon.

bumble

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 05:21:45 PM »

It works both ways , if you pay on the way out, its fairer for all (i think) - as

1) people ma be unsure what to pay, and therefore less ?
2) if they pay £10, then we play rubbish, they'll leave annoyed and less likely to return

Paying on the way out:

they will pay (if we're worse ) less, however wont feel annoyed and mayb more likey to return?

The game we pick wul be CRUTIAL to the success of this i.e non manchester club on thesaturday, and someone we play well against, or are likeley to draw/win against

Butty

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 06:04:59 PM »

It works both ways , if you pay on the way out, its fairer for all (i think) - as

1) people ma be unsure what to pay, and therefore less ?
2) if they pay £10, then we play rubbish, they'll leave annoyed and less likely to return

Paying on the way out:

they will pay (if we're worse ) less, however wont feel annoyed and mayb more likey to return?

The game we pick wul be CRUTIAL to the success of this i.e non manchester club on thesaturday, and someone we play well against, or are likeley to draw/win against

If the performance is useless, then they probably wont come back anyway- best to make the money and leave them be. The other problem with this is that away fans have to pay the same as home fans (or so I believe) this means that the scheme has to be on offer to them, and may only generate a few pounds as they would be inclined to take the piss

bumble

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 06:13:35 PM »

That is true about away fans - however, when we go to away games, we dont get any freetickets in the paper and such...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Long Term Altrincham FC Support