Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What's your favourite ever journey home from an Alty game?

Author Topic: What's your favourite ever journey home from an Alty game?  (Read 3455 times)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

For me there have been quite a few memorable trips home from Alty games over the years. Travelling back on the team coach (extremely drunk) after winning the CSC in 2005 was a good one and any journey home after wins against Macc and Northwich feature very high on the list. The trips back from the playoff games at Nuneaton and Kettering were great too with the adrenalin still pumping from close-fought victories.

However, I'd have to say the journey back from the Playoff Final victory at Stoke in 2005 was the most special I've experienced. Just the pure elation as it began to sink in that we were finally back in the Conference and the anticipation of some huge celebrations when we got back. Unforgettable!   ;D
Come on Alty!

The Red Baron

Re: What's your favourite ever journey home from an Alty game?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 12:59:35 PM »

I must say that the journeys back, for me, are never as good as the journeys there!
I will say that my WORST journey back was when I drove down to Weymouth and back in a day on the last day of last season. Hell!

My best this season would have to be the train back from Wrexham - just such a good feeling!
Luton on the coach was quite good, due to a renewed sense of optimism!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 01:53:55 PM »

By the time we set off back its usually a case of getting in and rechecking what the score actually was on Ceefax! hic.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Jezza

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »

I just have lots of memories from the NPl days about getting into the car in far flung dumps at 4.45 with freezing cold feet that hurt when the heater started taking effect...either a depressed just lost or happy contented we've just won feeling.....sports report and the classified results read by james Alexandra Gordon.....reading the pink once we'd stopped at a newsagents.

Just started a new job where i often drive past the big cooling towers around Doncaster on the M62 and the signpost to Goole was particualrly poignant!

Funnily I remember the trip to Wembley first time more than the return.

Coming back from Stoke was pretty special.....old enough to appreciate the enormity of our achievement.

joe

Whats your favourite
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »

Dagenham away the season we went three nil up early on to virtually secure our Conference status. We got absolutely soaked,Ecky took us home via Southend but no one was arsed due to the fact we'd won. 

andrewflynn

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 07:07:28 PM »

Train home from Northwich the 07-08 season

Alty FC Idol

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 08:33:48 PM »

Histon away this season, funniest ever trip to a petrol station!  :D

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 09:28:49 PM »

Quite a few favourites over the last 43 years!

Very hung over after Gravesend winning the Alliance first time..

Listening to the 3rd round draw (1978 Spurs) on way back from Droylesden in Northenden

On A449 on way back from Worcester in phone box ringing George Heslop at Ml to find out we'd won the Alliance again.

On way back from Bangor a million years ago - rough game we lost i think.. Gazelle drops kecks in chippy at llandudno Junction and staff all burst out laughing!

Tear stained eyes all the way home from St Andrews 1986

Getting home at 4.30am from Spurs 1978   wnr to work at 8 snet hoke for being asleep at desk by 10!

plus many more...

so many so good Alty til I die!

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »

Strange as it may sound, coming back on a Double-Dekker Godfrey Abbot bus from Nantwich after we had won in the FA Cup around 1973/4.
Then the time that I came back from Gainsborogh on the team coach sat with Gerry Casey and Joey Pritchard, while GH slept on the back seats.

Coming back from Gravesend was memorable in 1980 as was the very slow train back from Spurs in 1979.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:01:27 PM by RedhillAlty »

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 11:26:14 PM »

Posted on: Today at 06:48:31 pmPosted by: joe 
Insert Quote
Dagenham away the season we went three nil up early on to virtually secure our Conference status. We got absolutely soaked,Ecky took us home via Southend but no one was arsed due to the fact we'd won.   

Ah yes,the famous 'Jungle is Massivvvv' journey home!!!

That's got to be up there. Obviously the Stoke journey, just repeating people 'have we actually just done that' and Nuneaton, where we were waiting at the ground for half an hour as Rosie lost his keys jumping around celebrating (which were found).
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

thegazelle

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 01:25:06 AM »

A million good memories

Back from birmingham, copper walks on to the bus as we are about to set off cracking champagne thought we were goingt o get nicked only for him to say its all right lads carry on i am a villa fan.went down hill from there but i can recall forcing  the VIPs from shearings to do the dambusters with the seat head covers (anti maccassars )on their heads.

SC**thorpe first time"we want our mini back" second time finding out we were going to get liverpool when we won the replay ( we knew we would win the replay)

Boston the semi we lost but when they poured us of a t the ground a bloke walking his dog got confused and thought we had won because we were so p!ssed

wembley 79
wembley 82 dave baders legless " feck off thats douglas baader(admittedly that was outside the chesh but the journey home led to it)

goole to the bulls head in 35 minutes

chorley ( waking up at mobberley "Pete pete wake up................... is mobberley after hale"

Cheltenham one year dancing on the tables in tewksbury

Selling the pub in Penkridge to a family of yanks on the way back from Chelttnham another year

Setting the fire extinguisher off (mr tootill) at rhyl v Macc (alty postponed at bangor) and getting mossy the blame

Playing skittles  !!!!!! weston zoyland

even the bad defeats were sometimes good anyone remember the pub on the moors after losing 6-1 at burnley we won 6-0 at pool against the burnley fans and claimed an over all victory once more table dancig and early hours of the morning drinking was involved ( thank you miss Barker) The late great Henry Burke (RIP) was in the same car

Lancaster to Hawes i 1978 free beer because Phil Hall got change for a twenty when he only gave the guy a pound ( beer was 25 pence) with  acrazy rally driver in charge of the minibus)

Having no train to catch back from barrow on a very wet tuesday night and Kingy letting us come home on the team bus

Having to literally look up the score in the paper the next day after Northwich one year (Still the most drunk i have evr been in my life) all day in the chesh then eight pints of old tom in the  windmill and the smoker before the game .handing out flowers from the garden at the swan to lorry drivers on the a556,

MY GOD i know us oldies go on a bit about the past but they were fecking fantastic times ( wipes a tear from the corner of his eye)and those are the trips home i can remember.
Its amazing the people you can get to sing oh do you like me baldy head...................................and laugh at chicken jokes

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »

Grays away on a Tuesday night, a couple of seasons ago, was a bizarre experience.
They really should be beating teams like us

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 02:03:52 PM »

getting back to london after the birmingham game, a bus full of brum skins but we couldnt stop laughing, train back to london with loads of brum laughing all the way

droylesden - again glad to make the coach alive but then drawing tottenham
rotherham #2 on the special train (special train imagine that)

Altyroo

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 04:57:12 PM »

Coming back from Fisher Athletic on a tuesday night after an FA Trophey replay ( god knows how many replays that one took), springs to mind. Us in a clapped out old mini bus following the team bus on a mini tour of london sights. It was nearly midnight as well. That was the week we went to Fisher twice and Maidstone all within 7 days. oh what a week.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 What's your favourite ever journey home from an Alty game?