News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Conference - has the standard changed?

Author Topic: Conference - has the standard changed?  (Read 2765 times)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:06:28 AM »

Thinking back to that great team we had in 1990/91 (even further back for older fans) I often wonder how the great Alty sides would have faired in this "professional era" of top flight non league football.

What does everyone think? I can't help thinking McKenna and co. would have given the Oxfords and Torquays something to think about!

Can we ever hope to scale those kind of dizzy heights again at Alty? I would love it if we could have those kind of days here again. I was only 9 years old when I saw that team dismantle Barnet but the memories are still vivid.

This new generation of fans that proudly wear the red and white shirts deserve their chance to experience those kind of days. Who knows, maybe we can finish the job this time!  :)

Come on Alty!

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Conference - has the standard changed?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:28:44 AM »

I remember watching us at Liverpool, with the two Grahams playing. We gave Dalglish, McDermott and Co. plenty to think about that day.
That team would have easily made promotion out of this league.
Maybe it will happen again, I certainly hope so!!

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »

With our defence from this year add a Paul Showler lucky find from Trafford for example and a blow out signing of a Ken mckenna/Daryl Clare type and yes I think we would be a contender.

Problem would be
a) finding the ken mckenna 30 a year scorer who actually
1) signs
2) plays his heart out

and then
b) that's the team very little cover and an injury to a key player and we're done for and also the squad would again tire toward the end especially as we'd be bound to have a few cup runs.

But I agree a quality side with key players like a 30 goal a season strikr and an unstoppable winger would give the full timers a run for their money as they always did in the glory years when the top non league sides came up against the 4 th division rubbish!

thegazelle

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »

may be some class in midfield in king heathcote barrow esque type way

baldrick

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »

With automatic promotion/relegation there is no such thing as non league football anymore. The BSP is division five in a different name. The standard is higher now than it was ten years ago but it will level out as former league teams are forced to sell players to make ends meet. It is possible that Altrincham will one day achieve league status, but that is not necessarily a good thing.

Jenga

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 07:18:29 PM »

I believe we are a long long way off league status.

However we have closed that gap massively over the last 12 months.

If we continue the way we are we may some day make promotion. However it is then another thing to maintain league two and above status.

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 09:53:12 PM »

For me in the 70s and 80s Non League had more skill than current League 2, plenty of players who could have played in League 1 and a few who would have ben in the Championship. The main diff was fitness though, part time more skill but less speed.... now BSP is less skill but faster.

Overall its just very different so hard to compare teams/players.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 10:22:30 PM »

I agree. The game nowadays is often played at a frenetic pace but without the higher league skill that goes with that style of play; hence, we often get games resembling pinball where the goals come not so much from a good effective build up but more from mistakes and lucky ball position after it breaks free. Why else would Histon be so successful in this league.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 10:53:13 PM »

I agree. The game nowadays is often played at a frenetic pace but without the higher league skill that goes with that style of play; hence, we often get games resembling pinball where the goals come not so much from a good effective build up but more from mistakes and lucky ball position after it breaks free. Why else would Histon be so successful in this league.

Because all their players stand in John Innes No2 Grow Bags rather than actual football training.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 08:11:15 AM »

With the influx of overseas players into the Premiership and Championship, home grown players have less opportunity at big clubs and settle for lower league or top non-league clubs so they continue their dream of pro-football. This has meant more players and more clubs, hence so many full time clubs now in non league.
Our team of the late 70's early 80's with a couple of more class players added would probably have challenged for the second tier in the league - they were that good. However had we got in the League we would have stayed part time and this could have caused a revolution in the old division 4 with a part time team being better than full time outfits. This scared the likes of County, Bury, Crewe ect... Automatic promotion has not only benefited non league clubs but also gave a lifeline to struggling league clubs. Under the old re-election systems clubs that were kicked out of the league did not get back in.
What had not changed is that we are still probably the best part-time side in the country - just like we were in the 60's, 70's and early 80's. The difference is that we are now playing in a league that is now predominently full time. Its the Division that has changed more than us as a club.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 09:53:22 AM »

The 70s/80s team would have been one of the major forces in this league even today.Most league 3 and 4 teams(yes folks it was div 1,2,3,4)(for the younger people)really did fear us.you only have to look at our cup results to see that.Yes Alty are not the force they were,but you never know whats around the corner,all it needs is a good cup run,United away in the 3rd round a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford and the replay at Moss Lane shown on TV,you never know.
Harold

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 10:43:32 AM »

I think it is very difficult to measure teams across a time divide. I'm pretty sure the 78-82 team(s) would have been up there but it was a different game in those days. It was more physical for sure, how many cards would Kingy or Stan Allen get these days? I also don't think tricky wide players like Barry Howard would get as much freedom today, formations have changed as have tactics. five across the back in the old days was as rare as a Vics league win.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 12:26:08 PM »

but also those players would almost certainly not be part time in the current era. in those days you could earn as much and more as a part time player and having a job, hence tv's obsession with plunbers and butchers come the fa cup. there is no doubt in my mind that several players of the great teams could have played at least 2 leagues higher, which would now be a very good living.
there is very little point in trying to compare across generations but i would say that i agree that the quality hasnt improved that much, its the levels of fitness, the speed, the tactics.
when i started going again a few years ago colin little immediately stood out as having a little more class (ie time and space) than almost everyone on the pitch, but in that way he is a throwback to the days of players perhaps too good for the level.

sw is right that stan allan woulnt last 5 minutes theses days. or half the 78-82 side for that matter

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 02:36:07 PM »

I reckon Kingy would have been carded before he even made the tunnel with this antics at our opponance's dressing room door.
Harold
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team