News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stockport go into administration

Author Topic: Stockport go into administration  (Read 4366 times)

Alex

« on: April 30, 2009, 03:50:12 PM »

From the Beeb

League One Stockport County have gone into administration.

John Titley and Paul Reeves of Manchester-based accountancy firm Leonard Curtis said they had been appointed as joint administrators.

Titley said: "We are keen to work with the board to explore all possible solutions to ensure the club's future prospects are protected.

"We are extremely hopeful we will find a buyer for the club and are already aware of expressions of interest."

Stockport have been fighting to avoid the option of administration but their level of debt, with one creditor owed £300,000, has made it unavoidable.

The club face a 10-point deduction by the Football League.

HallamAlty

Re: Stockport go into administration
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:00:18 PM »

Wow, not really a shock I suppose.

And to think only a few years ago they were doing great at the top of League One (the Championship now) and having huge derbies with City.  I used to get free tickets from school and would go to see them, when Alty weren't at home of course!  It was an incredible atmosphere, and they were great days.  It's sad news today, but it's been coming for a while.

Good luck to them in the future.  I'm a Stockport lass and it would be terrible to lose the club from the town.  The celebrations after the Wembley win last season were fantastic.  Just a year later, how different things are... 

Jenga

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 04:18:22 PM »

The state of Football in this country and probably worldwide is a farce.

Longman

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:17:09 PM »

Completely agree.

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 05:24:14 PM »

Completely agree.

The same could be said about most small and medium buisness also at present
Come on you red and white........

gunners11

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:04:10 PM »

i cannot believe it stockport county no way they are a good team .WHY STOCKPORT WHY . i am in shock sorry guys very upset .

Jacko

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:11:37 PM »

living opposite the training ground seeing some of the usual happy faces change to stone said it all for me,

think its actually going to be a case of how many can stay afloat not whos going into admin from now on, sad >:(

markecky

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »

i cannot believe it stockport county no way they are a good team .WHY STOCKPORT WHY . i am in shock sorry guys very upset .

Ermmm..spending more than they earn?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »

Ermmm..spending more than they earn?

Failure to fill in the correct tax code? What's the big fuss anyway. For some reason the 10 points deduction is this season - meaning they'll stay up unless they lose their next game and Carlisle win by 17 goals (oh and Northampton and Brighton BOTH win).

In August they'll agree a CVA which will net them another 15 point deduction which at worst will see them get relegated from league 1 the following May if at all. But they'll have saved paying back %75 of the money they owe.

There's nothing to worry about.

Even less to feel sorry about glad we never jumped into bed with Sale though..Jebus!

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 11:06:10 PM »

I was in Brighton yesterday and County's match against relegation Albion on Saturday was advertised in the Seagulls club shop window as SOLD OUT.
Stockport will struggle next season and are fortunate that they will not be relegated this season.

Stockportalty

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 10:01:50 AM »

I share the sentiments of HallamAlty, I have to, I'm her Mum, but added to that I grew up living on Hardcastle Road - the road Edgeley Park is on, so I have seen the ups and downs at close hand over the years, the times when they were at the bottom of the old division 4 - when Alty may have replaced them in the league, and as Hallam says the time they were up near the top of what is now the Championship and we were all worrying about what would happen if they went up, the ground is certainly not built for premiership football and there is no room for expansion. It is a really sad day for the town, hopefully somebody will come along and help them out, they, like us have the problem of all the big money being channeled a few miles up the road to either Old Trafford or Eastlands.

York Alty

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 12:57:46 PM »

the days of clubs going in and out of admin are drawing to an end I feel.  Some will continue to do so but more and more wil find it impossible to carry on.  We will see more of the Halifax & Scarborough situations whereby they reform far lower down the pyramid.  That brings about all sorts of possibilities (and some problems) for better run clubs.

We shouldn't laugh (well go on then have a bit of a giggle), we've been so close to it and worse ourselves.

Hats off to Canvey Island who took demotion three or fours years back as they knew they couldn't afford the cost of national football.  Wise decision monkey.

Alex

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 01:10:31 PM »

i have always liked stockport and looked out for there results (allies against the M*cc and all that). 

hope they get the mess sorted soon, as i'd hate to see them go under.

HallamAlty

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 05:00:43 PM »

I share the sentiments of HallamAlty, I have to, I'm her Mum

Feel free to disagree with me on any topic you like Mum  ;D

Although you're quite right on this one - I used to live sitting in the living room at Grandma's listening to the cheers and knowing exactly what was going on up there!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team