PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 It was 31 years ago today....
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: It was 31 years ago today....  (Read 10135 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: It was 31 years ago today....
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »

Ah but how many of us turned up on the monday at Ewen fields for our 0-1 reverse in the NWFL?  (Me, me I did!!)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »

Ah but how many of us turned up on the monday at Ewen fields for our 0-1 reverse in the NWFL?  (Me, me I did!!)

Mr Guru,

Didn't that NWFL fixture at Hyde United take place on the Tuesday after our victory at Wembley though?

I thought that we played our final league game of the season at home to Runcorn on Monday, 1st May 1978?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

thegazelle

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »

i went to hyde with george and his bobble cap on the train, lots of robbies in the pub by the ground

Aussie Bob

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 01:56:39 AM »

that was a great day out ...does anyone remember the match programme being very biased towards Leatherhead ? It annoyed the hell out of me at the time ...

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 05:54:26 AM »

Great day out,i remember shaking the hand of some Leatherhead fans after the game,very friendly atmostphere all round.
Harold

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 08:59:02 AM »

Cult - I stand corrected.

I was at the Runcorn match too!

I did turn up at Hyde 3 times during the season for the NWFL match - postponed on each occasion.  A long walk from Denton for Hyde station I'll tell you.  On one occasion, Hyde were training on the pitch as if to make the point in no uncertain terms that they felt the match weas playable.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »

Cult
I am not too sure but I think there were 2 coaches from the Moss Hotel that went to Wembley.
I helped arrange the one that had the lads that drank in the Vault. Its so long ago that I cant remember some of the lads.
I recently met a Leatherhead fan who remembers that day well as he was drunk out of his skull by 10pm that night - I told him that most of us were that way by 10am that morning!!
Shortly after the Trophy Final Hissing Sid embarked on a barring spree and banned quite a few of the lads in the Vault. I didnt get barred as I avoided going in the Moss for about a week until his mission was over. What annoyed Hissing Sid was that he couldnt control us, even though he constantly reminded us that he was previously landlord of a notorious pub in Ancoats, I think called the Black Bear. I bet he has long since departed this world. I went past the Moss before the Stevenage game and it looked like the Vault no longer exists?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »

Cult
I am not too sure but I think there were 2 coaches from the Moss Hotel that went to Wembley.
I helped arrange the one that had the lads that drank in the Vault. Its so long ago that I cant remember some of the lads.
I recently met a Leatherhead fan who remembers that day well as he was drunk out of his skull by 10pm that night - I told him that most of us were that way by 10am that morning!!
Shortly after the Trophy Final Hissing Sid embarked on a barring spree and banned quite a few of the lads in the Vault. I didnt get barred as I avoided going in the Moss for about a week until his mission was over. What annoyed Hissing Sid was that he couldnt control us, even though he constantly reminded us that he was previously landlord of a notorious pub in Ancoats, I think called the Black Bear. I bet he has long since departed this world. I went past the Moss before the Stevenage game and it looked like the Vault no longer exists?

Redhill Alty,

I'm trying to dredge up some names of those characters who used to frequent The Moss and who were also on the coach down to Wembley that day...

Keith Jackson
Les Cunnliffe
John Pimblott
Alan Dean

Ring any bells?

Wasn't Hissing Sid's son a corny DJ by the name of Keith Fane, who remarkably went on to land the job as the stadium announcer at Old Trafford?

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

JackSwindells No 1 Fan

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 09:14:13 PM »

What a great day, still have my rossette sadly it is mispelt ALTRINGHAM FC, anyone else still got one of those?

Kingy's celebration (shirt-off) was the icing on the cake 3-0 up yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 09:19:29 PM »

I remember some cardboard car "stickers" with a glue strip like on an envelope each end. I think we had them for Wembley and also the election bid but I can't recall the slogans.

Somewhere in the loft I still have a tasselled Wembley 78 pennant.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 09:36:03 PM »

What a great day, still have my rossette sadly it is mispelt ALTRINGHAM FC, anyone else still got one of those?

Kingy's celebration (shirt-off) was the icing on the cake 3-0 up yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I would loved to have seen the ref try and give him a booking for it at that point in time!!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 11:58:48 PM »

I remember some cardboard car "stickers" with a glue strip like on an envelope each end. I think we had them for Wembley and also the election bid but I can't recall the slogans.

SW,

I seem to recall that those car stickers were emblazoned with the slogan "GO WEMBLEY WAY WITH ALTRINCHAM FC" and the date of the final.

Later versions for other occasions included:

(i) ALTRINCHAMPIONS (to mark winning the Alliance Premier League title in 1979/80);

(ii) ROBINS EAT YORKIES (when we played York City in the FA Cup in 1981).

thegazelle

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 02:25:54 AM »

Redhill Alty,

I'm trying to dredge up some names of those characters who used to frequent The Moss and who were also on the coach down to Wembley that day...

Keith Jackson
Les Cunnliffe
John Pimblott
Alan Dean

Ring any bells?

Wasn't Hissing Sid's son a corny DJ by the name of Keith Fane, who remarkably went on to land the job as the stadium announcer at Old Trafford?

indeeed keith fane was sid and irene's son .Sid long gone he died a couple of years after they moved to cleveleys probably mid eighties

the above names were lounge drinkers, corner nearest the gents.
I cant remember many from the vault except Albert etc .warbie fromthe garage. you say it was rough redhill but i worked here for two years and cant recall a serious fight maybe a bit of boisterous banter

lounge names old john girven
Charlie and malcom  Hewitt, walter snow old george that worked at lucas's,  Howard Cartwright,Dave the mechanic from warbies, ? Coe from the newsagents at the ground (alex was his sons name the vickers from Lilac road, beasants Tony,  was in charge of the slow and easy last new years day,Brian Kelly from the butchers on hermitage was never far from his bar stool on the corner  god i am straining so hard i will have to visit the samll room. after hours 1/2 the altrincham police force

you cant mention the old moss without talking about the steakand onion barms from the pan that was never washed

Sid taught me one maxim i still use to this day.

You have to picture him, after time, park drive in side of mouth, 1/2 toby in hand ." so yer going to fancy catering college lad remember this, they wont teach yer this,

TITS sell beer"

RIP SId and irene I look back at you both with great affection and thank you for some happy days and nights.

Simon Arron

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 07:18:40 AM »

RIP SId and irene I look back at you both with great affection and thank you for some happy days and nights.
Seconded. Irene chucked me out of The Moss not long before my 18th, even though I only had a soft drink,  but employed me a few days after my birthday. The after-hours advice I remember from Sid was "never drink dark mild", certainly not in The Moss, anyway, given some of his recycling techniques... I think bitter was 23p per pint in the lounge when I started, or 22p in the vault. Hemeling was the expensive stuff, at 41p, but I don't recall many people drinking it.

With regard to Sid's marketing technique, was Jackie the barmaid we worked with? She was very fond of The Shadows' Cavatina and quite often sloped off to stick 10p in the jukebox. I seem to remember that she eventually received a straight red from Sid for some offence or other.

Returning to Wembley, is it my imagination or was Steve Watson busy throwing up over a policewoman's foot when Alty's second went in?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 09:59:03 AM »

SW,

I seem to recall that those car stickers were emblazoned with the slogan "GO WEMBLEY WAY WITH ALTRINCHAM FC" and the date of the final.

Later versions for other occasions included:

(i) ALTRINCHAMPIONS (to mark winning the Alliance Premier League title in 1979/80);

(ii) ROBINS EAT YORKIES (when we played York City in the FA Cup in 1981).

Later version? I had that in the back of my Standard 10 in the '60s mate! (I've still got it actually)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 It was 31 years ago today....