PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Who do we keep next season?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Who do we keep next season?  (Read 17087 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Who do we keep next season?
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2011, 01:13:19 AM »

I said that in respect to ken not being here next season,i think ken is 100% the man for the job,and hope he stays in charge for a long long time

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2011, 07:27:08 AM »

I said that in respect to ken not being here next season,i think ken is 100% the man for the job,and hope he stays in charge for a long long time
Totally agree, we were dead and buried behind eastbourne and histon and without a squad to compete (or any money).  if he had taken over sooner perhaps we wouldnt have been beaten away at eastbourne and things would look different today.  Do you honestly believe that there are better managers with experience of BSN hanging about?  The issue has been the lack of depth in the squad to continue the second half or to respond when things go wrong, cambridge (h), fleetwood (a), FGR (a) prove this for me.l
Bernard Taylors barmy army

bigcol

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2011, 07:38:27 AM »

Erm and I quote from Wiki "McKenna steered TNS to three runners-up spots in the Welsh Premier League before winning three successive titles in 2004–05, 2005–06 and 2006–07, as well as adding FAW Premier Cup, Welsh Cup and Welsh League Cup successes."

I know WPL isn't the BSP but he has a great track record.  Posts like the previous one above will not exactly persuade Ken not to take the Luton job.

Any statto out there work out how many points we'd have, assuming he'd taken over at the start of the season?

taxi Phil

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »

There's not likely to be a queue of suitable managers if we lose Kenny. He's the man for me, and if he were to go I'd give Bimmo a shot at it if he wanted to.

Or perhaps we think Sam Allardyce might fancy a shot at it ? ? ?   ::)

bumble

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »

14.tam 2O -
15.eB 19 -
16.york 18 -
17.histon 18 -
18.cam 17 -
19.south 17 -
2O.hy 17 -
21.bath 16 -
22.barrow 15 -
23.fgr 11 - 34
24.ALTY 1O

16TH october - day after ken's appointment as manager

- how the table would look if you take out GH's reign at the start

17.hayes 34
18.FGR 34
19.barrow 32
2O.cambridge 32
21.alty 31
22.southport 28
23.tamworth 26
24.eastbourne 14
24.Histon 9

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2011, 09:33:57 AM »

I would definitely hope that Ken stays as manager.
However, in defence of GH, the way the fixtures were arranged did seem to be a little strange this season. We seemed to play the better teams at the start of the season, then the lower placed teams in the second half. It is by no means certain that if Graham stayed things would have been worse.

bighairedmike

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »

Erm and I quote from Wiki "McKenna steered TNS to three runners-up spots in the Welsh Premier League before winning three successive titles in 2004–05, 2005–06 and 2006–07, as well as adding FAW Premier Cup, Welsh Cup and Welsh League Cup successes."

I know WPL isn't the BSP but he has a great track record.  Posts like the previous one above will not exactly persuade Ken not to take the Luton job.

Any statto out there work out how many points we'd have, assuming he'd taken over at the start of the season?

Whilst I'm not saying that Ken isn't the man for the job (I hope you stay Kenny, I really do) TNS were the only full time team in the Welsh prem at that time. When he went to Cammell Laird that was a bit of a disappointment.

But here at alty he has shown exactly what he can do and I'm 100% behind him.

bigcol

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2011, 01:07:26 PM »

Thank you statto man :)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2011, 01:08:07 PM »

However, in defence of GH, the way the fixtures were arranged did seem to be a little strange this season. We seemed to play the better teams at the start of the season, then the lower placed teams in the second half. It is by no means certain that if Graham stayed things would have been worse.

As we all start with zero points at the start of the season, other than on reputation, budget or anticipation, we wouldn't know who was a 'better' team or a worse team and we have to play them all anyhow.

I seem to recall, and I can't find the evidence, that a good few folk seemed quite content to play the 'better' teams as you describe them at the start of the season anyway with what I anticipate you mean to be the 'easier' teams later on (Again you can't anticipate in any way who will be lower placed at any point in the season)

I do think also that, although the results are obviously important. it was the performances (or lack of) at the start of the season which caused most problem. Continuation of performances and confidence at that level may well have had us all but down by the end of March

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2011, 01:32:57 PM »

You aren't seriously stating that we weren't aware who the better teams would be when we started the season are you?
You then go on to contradict yourself by saying that people were happy to play these better teams (that you supposedly didn't know) early in the season anyway.
And of course we have to play all these teams sooner or later, my point was that GH had an extremely difficult start to the season. Luton, Darlington, Southport, Crawley, York, Mansfield and Kidderminster, not surprising that we had the rubbish start that we did.
As I stated I would love to have Ken back next year, I really don't think he would have had a better start than GH this year, that's all I was saying.
On the plus side, I agree with your 3rd line :) :)

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2011, 01:43:41 PM »

Would be nice if Paul Scholes did an Alex Stepney and came to play for Alty,just to finish his carreer properly and Maybe Giggs as well would be nice :D ::)
Harold

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2011, 01:45:10 PM »

No,

What I was saying is that we could only really have a (very) educated guess as to who the top teams would be. Until the season started and teams played some games we didn't really know. However having guesstimated that Crawley, Luton, Darlington etc would be up there it is true to say that some people were happy to play them early doors and get them out of the way as it were.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2011, 01:48:02 PM »

Hasnt scholes said he wants to play for oldham at some stage ?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »

No,

What I was saying is that we could only really have a (very) educated guess as to who the top teams would be. Until the season started and teams played some games we didn't really know. However having guesstimated that Crawley, Luton, Darlington etc would be up there it is true to say that some people were happy to play them early doors and get them out of the way as it were.

A prevalent theory at the time was that it was actually preferable to play Crawley Town early on in the season before their team of galacticos had enjoyed the chance to gel properly.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Who do we keep next season?