Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ALTY LOOK FOR BACKERS (FROM OFFICIAL WEBSITE)
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ALTY LOOK FOR BACKERS (FROM OFFICIAL WEBSITE)  (Read 5624 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: ALTY LOOK FOR BACKERS (FROM OFFICIAL WEBSITE)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »

Theres loads of people of the recent past that have said "such and such has money and would put it in if such and such happened" etc, I wonder if those people will put their money where their mouth is now the door has been so publicly opened?............

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 10:59:35 PM »

Can I ask why you think someone ploughing money into the playing squad is unsustainable by the way?

Simply because once you've spent the money in this way, it's gone forever. It would be a short-term, not to mention short-sighted, "solution".

If the money were invested more wisely, the longer term benefits would far outweigh 4 seasons of big spending on the squad.
Come on Alty!

Aussie Bob

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 02:21:23 AM »

Having worked in retail in Hale in the distant past half the problem is with the 'rich" folks round Alty is that they are normally extremely tight and if making significant investment into a football club they would want

a) a return on investment 

or

b) total control

or

c) both a and b 

Still think the best way we will get significant income into the club is a cup run with decent crowds / prize money and the we could piggy back off that in trying to get more sponsorship and better profile ....

It would be nice as well to get the old support we used to from City / United fans on the days they played away ...with TV coverage these days its not going to happen though...

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 07:53:43 AM »

Having worked in retail in Hale in the distant past half the problem is with the 'rich" folks round Alty is that they are normally extremely tight and if making significant investment into a football club they would want

a) a return on investment 

or

b) total control

or

c) both a and b 

Still think the best way we will get significant income into the club is a cup run with decent crowds / prize money and the we could piggy back off that in trying to get more sponsorship and better profile ....

It would be nice as well to get the old support we used to from City / United fans on the days they played away ...with TV coverage these days its not going to happen though...

There lies the biggest stumbling block due to our close proximity to OT & Eastlands .. That plus Sky virtually televising all games plus mid week fixtures for us being on a Tues when the Champ Lge games are on will restrict attendance quite significantly...

It is a difficult situation.

Narcissist

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 08:31:40 AM »

So, if someone came along and said "I will give you £250K per season for 4 years  but you have to spend it on the playing squad, no more strings attached" you would decline that offer?

Can I ask why you think someone ploughing money into the playing squad is unsustainable by the way?

Whilst this 'gift' was paying for on field activity the money that would otherwise have been spent on what happens on the green stuff would be available to use for other things

ALTY 1981 explains my point pretty well ATS. But just so not to deny you I will add my thoughts.

I would not decline that offer, perhaps try to re-negotiate. Maybe 140k a year over 7 years? Is there any chance this offer would ever come to fruition? No, it seems somewhat ridiculous to me to pull me up on that and then back it up with such an unlikely proposition.

If someone puts money into the club and it is spent on the playing squad thus freeing up our usual playing budget to be invested in other things I would put it to you that it is exactly the same as someone putting money into the club that goes directly into other things???

Finally, going back to your kind offer from the mysterious millionaire, what happens in the 5th year when we suddenly dont have 250k towards the playing squad? We cancel all contracts and just go back to what we have? The new fans that have come along with the success on the pitch, they will accept this? How much would that million spent on playing budget increase the income of the club? Enough for it then to be able to continue at that level of investment on playing budget without the 250k?

My point was more geared towards someone coming along and keeping the infrastructure of the club in a similar position its in now whilst then investing 10k a week on players, making us go full time and giving us directors loans to fund it all before getting bored when they realise that in this league no ammount of money in the world can guarantee promotion.

Those are my thoughts. Feel free to counter, ignore, deplore or agree.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:53:16 AM by OGC Alty »

Jenga

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 12:15:50 PM »

I agree - for what it is worth.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Why invest?
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »

I think you have to bear in mind why you would invest in any football club. As mentioned b4, we slag off people on ego trips but really it's either that or looking for a return on the investment (which is where problems start). I think what you want is as someone has said elsewhere a board like the late 70s with very successful local people all working together to make it work.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 01:02:10 PM »

I think Alty1981 and OGC have good points...........they welcome investment but also want to avoid boom and bust and all the problems that can cause in the long term despite all the 'highs' during the boom years. Look at Grays.

As has been said before, what would be a great help would be some local football supporters with some spare capital. The return on their investment would not be cash. It would be satisfaction that something positive has been achieved eg a new stand or greater community involvement and local pride. It's sustainable investment.

We don't want big ego's and lofty FL ambitions, just need an improved playing budget to be on a par with other clubs and to be able to enjoy the occasional big cup run etc.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Why invest?
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 02:21:19 PM »

I think you have to bear in mind why you would invest in any football club. As mentioned b4, we slag off people on ego trips but really it's either that or looking for a return on the investment (which is where problems start). I think what you want is as someone has said elsewhere a board like the late 70s with very successful local people all working together to make it work.

I agree completely however the two main differences between the situation then and now are that then

a) we had quite a few good cup run which bolstered the kitty (something we have all been crying out for for a few years now) and

b) the amount of money needing to be 'invested' (i.e. donated) by board members was nowhere near what it would need to be today to make a significant difference.

Conclusion?  If the lads keep working on that 3rd round cup run, I'll carry on buying lottery tickets!  ;)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 02:32:12 PM »

I think it's worth pointing out that the search for backers is not solely about taking the club further forward; it is very important that we find people to provide much-needed backup and support to our hard-working circle of volunteers in order that we can at least continue to consolidate our position.

We can't rely on the same group of individuals forever and it's important that we look to strengthen the "team" wherever possible.
Come on Alty!
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ALTY LOOK FOR BACKERS (FROM OFFICIAL WEBSITE)