Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today I saw the playoff champions in action...
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Today I saw the playoff champions in action...  (Read 5239 times)

roytonmike

Re: Today I saw the playoff champions in action...
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 05:39:59 PM »

Can't agree with the title of this thread. While Gainsborough are a decent team, I don't rate them as highly as I did either Guiseley last August or Stalybridge in October - or Hyde last August, come to that. I felt they were worth 6 or 7 out of 10 overall, as they weren't totally secure in defence and wasted several chances in attack. Unfortunately what they were up against was barely worth 4/10. The defence is far too easily turned and beaten by a long ball over the top - I agree with the reservations expressed over Hawes (to my mind his signing on for a third month is not a positive); we operated without any meaningful midfield yesterday, and launching long balls out of defence towards the assembled aerial might of Redshaw & Reeves is frankly counter-productive. We have to start playing through the midfield again, which means finding some players who can keep and then pass the ball in that area, rather than chasing around like a headless chicken. One last point of concern - even if everyone is fit we can only just raise an adult XI of our 'own' players (I can get it to fourteen if you include Broomes, Summerskill & Tolson!). I feel sure it is not a good thing to rely on loanees to the extent that we are doing. Sorry - end of moan!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:36:21 PM by roytonmike »

VofD

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 06:36:45 PM »

Whilst I thought Gainsborough were decent (the centre backs were quality) I thought it was quite frankly more a case of our shortcomings making them look like worldbeaters.

Story of our season. >:( >:( >:(

taxi Phil

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 07:51:42 PM »

Also, if you look closely at their record AWAY from home it's actually very much like ours ! That slope gives them an advantage at home and it's there that they gain most of their points. I fully expect to beat them at Moss Lane, and I'm not even convinced that they'll MAKE the play-offs, let alone win them !
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Today I saw the playoff champions in action...