PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Matchday coverage
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Matchday coverage  (Read 4207 times)

Robin Reliant

Matchday coverage
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:31:26 AM »

Copied directly and unashamedly from the main site, for those who haven.t seen it ......

MATCHDAY COVERAGE

Many Altrincham fans who cannot get to games use the excellent Radio Robins live commentary service. But a sizeable number of people also used to log on to this website's Live Matchday Update service during each game. For the last 20 games of last season, this service was provided via the Cover It Live service, which was a free facility available to all internet users.
Now, however, the Cover It Live company, based in the USA, has been taken over and has introduced charging based on the number of viewers. Only 25 clicks are to be allowed free of charge from 1 July 2012.

The official Cover It Live statistics show that, over the 20 matches covered in this way last season by the Altrincham FC website, there were:

Average Reader Clicks per Game: 650
Average Reader Duration: 50min
The company will not classify Altrincham FC as a "not for profit organisation"; Cover It Live have told me, "We have reviewed your request and unfortunately your organization does not fit our criteria for this status. Examples of non-profits for our purposes are organizations registered as 501(c)(3) in the U.S. or similar certification worldwide working directly with a charity such as the American Cancer Society, etc, or when used for educational purposes in the classroom at K-12 schools, colleges, and universities".

At the level of usage which this Altrincham FC Live Matchday Update service attained in 2011-12, the cost this season for the Alty website to provide this service would be in the company's top charging band, which is US$149 per month, an amount that neither I nor the club can absorb.

So, for 2012/13, the Updates will revert to the former format of live text, updated via FTP (File Transfer Protocol) rather than via Cover It Live. This means there will still be free updates throughout each game but, because it is a bit more cumbersome to transmit them during each match, there may be fewer of them than was the case last season e.g. perhaps an update every couple or minutes instead of more than one a minute as was the case last season. I am sorry for this but I hope that you can appreciate why it has happened.

For the same reason, (i.e. so that charges are not incurred), I have taken down the links to the 20 matches which were covered last season using Cover It Live

For 2012/13, as previously, team news will be displayed from up to half an hour before kick-off, depending on availability of line-up information. Live coverage of the game will then follow throughout the match.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Matchday coverage
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:36:59 AM »

Why not just start a match day update Twitter account?

Only having 140 charachters isn't great but it's a very simple solution.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Robin Reliant

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 10:42:34 AM »

Thank you John for your tireless work, which is most appreciated by the "exiles" in particular.
I preferred the old matchday update format,although having to manually update the page could be a bit of a pain!
Another benefit of the updates is being able to "watch" the match from the start, when coming in late.
My patchy broadband connection sometimes made Radio Robins sound like Norman Collier, so I had both systems on side by side, and will continue to do so.

To Jimmy Hill, some of us oldies don't have smartphones and Twitter.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

Could it not be done via a "chatroom", which would effectively be just a slightly more primitive version of the cover it live thing?
Come on Alty!

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 12:30:35 PM »

Thank you John for your tireless work, which is most appreciated by the "exiles" in particular.
I preferred the old matchday update format,although having to manually update the page could be a bit of a pain!
Another benefit of the updates is being able to "watch" the match from the start, when coming in late.
My patchy broadband connection sometimes made Radio Robins sound like Norman Collier, so I had both systems on side by side, and will continue to do so.

If you can get on the internet you can get on Twitter! It's just a website...
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

bumble

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 12:44:06 PM »

Why not embed twitter into the website updates page?

John could either simply use twitter or someone could update using twitter, whilst john does the occasional longer update

I did a quick search to see what was out there....

G-snap might be worth looking at? Very Basic version of cover it live, but would allow constant updates from John and allow other memebers to contribute (like on cover it) with out the cost

I'll continue searching
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:03:44 PM by Stoke Alty »

Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »

Hear hear

Butty

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »

Why not just start a match day update Twitter account?

Only having 140 charachters isn't great but it's a very simple solution.

Don't we already have one?

York Alty

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 10:15:09 PM »

Hear hear

and me...

York Alty

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 10:16:44 PM »

many thanks to all who bring us the joy of RR, match day updates in whatever format and all the other ways of making Alty exiles feel that bit closer to Moss lane on match days.  You make a huge difference.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 10:55:36 AM »

Echo the sentiments of those praising all who provide us with news of all things Alty.

Here's a link to a page that discusses alternatives to Cover It:

http://zombiejournalism.com/2012/05/free-alternatives-to-coveritlive/

Twitter is not out of the question even for those who do not wish to sign up as Jimmy Hill stated, you can embed a widget on your webpage.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

bumble

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 12:33:43 PM »

http://cbox.ws/index.php

Another either free option or an option for premium at $2.00 a month

FJT1980

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 02:35:57 PM »

I've got a crazy idea......go to the game

bumble

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »

Okay, we'll all nip over from different continents.

Shut up NCCK - A real fan would  :D

Altyroo

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »

As people cannot make it to every game  like myself ( distance and cost) the coverage has been excellent. Would it be good to keep people upto date via Twitter, Facebook and the club website. Just some examples.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Matchday coverage