PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham's league record since Aldershot Town
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Altrincham's league record since Aldershot Town  (Read 5262 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Altrincham's league record since Aldershot Town
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2023, 12:47:02 PM »

Milli Alli was one such player (like Elliot Newby) that was on Stockport's periphery not too long ago, and doing well on loan with Chorley at the time.

Him and Tyrese Sinclair on the wings would be something pretty special...

andrewflynn

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2023, 01:07:02 PM »

I'm afraid I don't share in the optimism that many of our better-performing loanees are likely to be here next season. First and foremost Maxi Oyedele is destined for far bigger next season than a return to Altrincham, but Tyrese Sinclair is contracted at Rochdale through next season and would command a big fee and wages. I can see him landing himself a move to League 2 club, it's the Elliot Newby scenario all over again.

Chris Conn-Clarke is one that there is going to be a lot of expectancies around but he signed a new deal shortly before his Waterford loan and it would be a big shock if we managed to prize him away, in my opinion. Then you've got the likes of Miles Welch-Hayes and Kyle Ferguson who certainly feel a little more achievable but both would have to take a significant pay cut to come and play here permanently.

I know it's a pessimistic post towards the end of a season that has given us real cause for optimism but I'm still painfully aware of where we are budget-wise and the (lack of) pull that our club has to attract these marquee players on a permanent basis.

600k in Seeders, best part of 100k in player sales, above average 2k crowd. We should be targeting being a top-half club next season (no lower than 14, maybe troubling POs for a few weeks).

I agree it has to be the target so we're aiming higher than last season, but I do think it would be a very significant achievement if we finished top half next season.

It would require very skilful use of a budget that remains comfortably bottom half at this level (us, Wealdstone, Gateshead, Maidenhead, Dorking, NLN & NLS play-off winners all the lower spenders.) Phil Parkinson and the club are doing an unbelievable job with the resources that we have.

Seedrs was never for the playing budget, it's capital to help us generally maintain full-time football (and all of the operational costs that come with it) while our organic revenue streams play catch-up. It doesn't mean we can, or should throw big transfer fees around. Every piece of business we make has to be astute, it's done us well so far.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2023, 03:13:27 PM »

I'm afraid I don't share in the optimism that many of our better-performing loanees are likely to be here next season. First and foremost Maxi Oyedele is destined for far bigger next season than a return to Altrincham, but Tyrese Sinclair is contracted at Rochdale through next season and would command a big fee and wages. I can see him landing himself a move to League 2 club, it's the Elliot Newby scenario all over again.

Chris Conn-Clarke is one that there is going to be a lot of expectancies around but he signed a new deal shortly before his Waterford loan and it would be a big shock if we managed to prize him away, in my opinion. Then you've got the likes of Miles Welch-Hayes and Kyle Ferguson who certainly feel a little more achievable but both would have to take a significant pay cut to come and play here permanently.

I know it's a pessimistic post towards the end of a season that has given us real cause for optimism but I'm still painfully aware of where we are budget-wise and the (lack of) pull that our club has to attract these marquee players on a permanent basis.

I think I agree with pretty much all of this. Of the loanees I can only realistically see Welch-Hayes staying with us.

Tyrese performs like a player who is enjoying himself at Alty and faced with an uncertain future at Rochdale (who knows how relegation will impact on them) it would probably be in his best interests short term to sign for us (but money talks).

PP will look at the number of goals we have conceded and will need to weigh up whether Kyle Ferguson is a gamble worth taking given that he's still pretty much in preseason mode at present.

Someone earlier mentioned players like Kurt Willoughby (Chester) and Connor Hall (Chorley). Now, they are definitely players we should be aiming to sign.

Realistically, we may as well forget about signing Stockport players - they seem to end up at either Oldham or Halifax, clubs clearly higher up the food chain than we are.

Either way, the obvious problem remains - yet another large turnover of players. Is this just something we are going to have to learn to live with or will we ever be able to break out of the cycle?

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2023, 04:24:40 PM »

Agree with Andrew on most of this:

I think saying we could easily aim for the playoffs next season is very unrealistic and would be an unbelievable achievement should it happen. Aiming for a top half finish and becoming a more consistent and settled side, however, is an achievable goal but difficult enough to be considered excellent progress in my opinion.

As for loanees, of course I'd love Maxi to stay with us but fear his performances will probably earn him a loan to at least a League 2 side next season.
Tyrese Sinclair has also proven he's extremely capable at this level and so I'd expect Rochdale to firmly have him in their plans considering the upheaval they're about to experience being relegated.

Chris Conn-Clarke is a very interesting one. Before his move to Waterford I'd have said there would be no chance of us ever seeing him return but it seems it's not gone too well for him over there to the point where he isn't even making their starting 11. We know how good of a player he is so perhaps a lack of confidence, poor management or not fitting into a system has contributed to this. As a result there may be less immediate interest in him from football league sides so there's potential for him to hit the ground running with us at the start of next season. I'd still be surprised if it did happen having said that.

As difficult as this season has been at times, the squad have gained invaluable national league and big game experience and I agree with Phil when he says this will only make us stronger as we go on. A couple of shrewd signings and being able to retain key players from this year and I'll be very optimistic of continued improvement next campaign.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2023, 05:21:49 PM »

Agree with Andrew on most of this:

I think saying we could easily aim for the playoffs next season is very unrealistic and would be an unbelievable achievement should it happen. Aiming for a top half finish and becoming a more consistent and settled side, however, is an achievable goal but difficult enough to be considered excellent progress in my opinion.

As for loanees, of course I'd love Maxi to stay with us but fear his performances will probably earn him a loan to at least a League 2 side next season.
Tyrese Sinclair has also proven he's extremely capable at this level and so I'd expect Rochdale to firmly have him in their plans considering the upheaval they're about to experience being relegated.

Chris Conn-Clarke is a very interesting one. Before his move to Waterford I'd have said there would be no chance of us ever seeing him return but it seems it's not gone too well for him over there to the point where he isn't even making their starting 11. We know how good of a player he is so perhaps a lack of confidence, poor management or not fitting into a system has contributed to this. As a result there may be less immediate interest in him from football league sides so there's potential for him to hit the ground running with us at the start of next season. I'd still be surprised if it did happen having said that.

As difficult as this season has been at times, the squad have gained invaluable national league and big game experience and I agree with Phil when he says this will only make us stronger as we go on. A couple of shrewd signings and being able to retain key players from this year and I'll be very optimistic of continued improvement next campaign.

Chris Conn-Clarke will almost certainly be back in Waterford's team this week, having served a one match ban for his sending off, then having time off while his partner had a baby.

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2023, 05:31:45 PM »

My main worry is another club coming in for our management duo.   You have to think they are on lists of league clubs looking for new management.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2023, 06:10:34 PM »

I'd like to think they are committed to taking us as far as they can.
There's plenty of room for progress at Alty and they deserve the credit for making it possible.
There'll be plenty of time for them to move up to another challenge in a few years when we're in league two and a championship or league one club comes knocking.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

altyusa

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2023, 08:09:48 PM »

Love your optimism Saughall!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2023, 08:25:03 PM »

Love your optimism Saughall!

Hopefully, it's foresight! 😉 😎

😂😏
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2023, 08:37:11 PM »

Funnily enough, Connor Hall is at the City game with Lewis Baines this evening.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Altrincham's league record since Aldershot Town