PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Throphy Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Wrexham Throphy Match Thread  (Read 12527 times)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wrexham Throphy Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2023, 10:41:12 PM »

As usual, we made pretty hard work of it against a second string Wrexham side, but we certainly deserved the win after pretty sustained pressure all second half.

We're so bloody wasteful with our set pieces - one short corner came to nothing, and one didn't even make it on to the pitch. We need more players taking gambles in the box, we seem to have a lot that flash straight across.

Byrne flapped a couple of times leading to their first goal (and his distribution was terrible today), and Jones was alarmingly slow across the ground for their second.

I thought Pringle did well when he came on as usual, getting things moving in the final third - replacing Jordan who was pretty anonymous again.

Goodson didn't look out of his depth at all, would be good to keep him around the fringes of the first team.

Kaja got a good hour under his belt and will hopefully get sharper as he gets more minutes - what a surprise it was to see him on the teamsheet tonight!

Marriott / Lundstram class as always - I certainly would have given one of those lads the MOM award but maybe I just have really high standards of CCC these days.

Huge credit to the ground staff for getting the pitch ready given the shocking weather we've had all week.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2023, 10:46:00 PM »

Pleased for Parky and the lads to get through and have a bit of a cup run this season, our record in the Trophy has been far too poor for years now, so hopefully we get a decent draw next round and keep it going.

The extra funds should also help add to the forward line / new wingers.

Thought we should have been 2 or 3 up in the first 20 mins, to be fair to Wrexham their line-up might have not known each other too well at first, then again our forwards probably don't know each other that well either.

Pleased with our pens and the Ollie Byrne save, our record on pens not being clever in recent times.

"Pitch invasion" by the 12 year olds with no school tomorrow was daft, frankly.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2023, 10:50:12 PM »

Good job no-one at the Club can read a weather forecast
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2023, 11:09:33 PM »

Weird game that. Make no bones about it, it was Wrexham's number 12-23 we played against but they would still make a half decent CN team in their own right. I'd take any (and I mean any) of their front 3 - surely Dalby and Jones aren't content to be bench warmers.
From 1-8 we are ultra competitive but it was embarrassing watching Jordan (a Conference North player) and a blatantly unfit Kaja, labour for a good hour. Dinanga tried hard, but made up one of the least effective forward lines I have seen at Alty for a while.
Goodson, Pringle and even the much maligned Jennings vastly improved us when they came on.
Home v Dorking next please.

AltyNotFaulty

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2023, 11:11:49 PM »

We could and should have been 2 or 3 up after 20 mins… Our forwards are miles off it and need a lot of game time. I’m gonna guess we may be forced to play at least one of them, but please PP, don’t ever play Hulme & Dinanga together again unless for the reserves for fitness. Kaja needs time, but I thought Jennings did really well when he came on. We need some quality signings if we are to lose Con-Clarke as well. If there is no quantity forwards or wingers, we may as well loan 3 more defensive players and play 6-3-1 and see the season out.

The kids tonight need sorting, I left the ground embarrassed!

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2023, 11:16:45 PM »

Deserved winners but many questions raised.

Byrne at fault for both goals, Hulme, kaja, Dinanga way off whats needed for survival. No natural 10 to replace Conn-Clarke.

On plus side both full backs ok, Baines, Marriott and Lundstram were quality. Great debut from Goodson.

Money needs spending wisely
Full time and proud of it

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2023, 11:36:26 PM »

Fantastic win, doesn’t matter what side Wrexham put out they are a big scalp & for the lads to come back at the death then win it on pens (in front of the Wrexham fans) shows big balls, absolutely delighted. The ifs, buts and maybes of the players is for later but we are in the hat & we’ve done the multi-millionaires, superb.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2023, 02:33:11 AM »

what was the handbags between the parkinson family about at the end?

From the snippets that I heard after the game, it would appear that a person/persons on the Wrexham staff has/have reportedly forgotten how to lose graciously and with respect for their opponents.

I have rarely seen (our) Phil Parkinson so infuriated after a game and emulating full 'Graham Heathcote red mist mode' à la Torquay United at Moss Lane in March 2008!   
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2023, 03:00:11 AM »

Weird game that. Make no bones about it, it was Wrexham's number 12-23 we played against but they would still make a half decent CN team in their own right. I'd take any (and I mean any) of their front 3 - surely Dalby and Jones aren't content to be bench warmers.
From 1-8 we are ultra competitive but it was embarrassing watching Jordan (a Conference North player) and a blatantly unfit Kaja, labour for a good hour. Dinanga tried hard, but made up one of the least effective forward lines I have seen at Alty for a while.
Goodson, Pringle and even the much maligned Jennings vastly improved us when they came on.
Home v Dorking next please.

Excellent synopsis.

So pleasing to end a rather deflating week for those Alty diehards amongst us who are already suffering Colclough withdrawal symptoms on a relative high.

Our highest home FA Trophy attendance since that ill-starred Wycombe Wanderers semi-final second leg back in April 1991.

£5,250 prize money duly trousered plus some relatively handsome gate receipts and, hopefully, some decent additional revenue accrued via the live streaming of the fixture.

I suspect that game could well comprise Wrexham's last ever FA Trophy tie (for which their supporters would no doubt be thankful).

Incidentally, did Reece Hall-Johnson's penalty achieve a higher altitude than that Virgin Orbit rocket managed the other day..?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 03:02:04 AM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2023, 08:48:08 AM »

Given they'll probably have enough in the tank to get past Maidstone (like Wrexham did against Scunny), maybe a home draw against Notts might not be too bad given they'll take the same approach as Wrexham (but still bring plenty through the gate).

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2023, 09:04:25 AM »

Don't tempt fate for heavens sake!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2023, 09:09:30 AM »

Don't tempt fate for heavens sake!

Let's face it, we could win or lose against anyone from this point onwards - the league has shown us we're competitive against everyone bar the 'big three' - and two of those are already out.

Solihull / Barnet would probably be the biggest nightmare.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2023, 11:29:57 AM »

Especially away

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2023, 12:25:47 PM »

Leiston and Coalville both going well in their division. Can we have Hungerford at home please?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2023, 01:13:45 PM »

When's the draw for the next round? Is it this evening or Monday afternoon perhaps?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wrexham Throphy Match Thread