News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Second Generation

Author Topic: Second Generation  (Read 5121 times)

Alex

Second Generation
« on: December 09, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »

So my earlier thread about the 80's and the picture of shaun Densmores dad playing for us got me thinking, are there any other generations of players to play for the club (as in brothers, fathers & sons etc).

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: Second Generation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 03:34:49 PM »

The heathcotes and stranges spring to mind in terms of brothers. Joe and mike Fagan are the only other father and son I can think of.

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »

John and Andy Owens.

eightiesrobin

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »

John King's nephew (Jeff King) is in the first team squad. Played in a CSC game last season.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 04:51:15 PM »

Father and son:

Phil and Kyle Wilson.

John and Steve Aspinall.

Dean & Jamie Greygoose (although I don't think that the latter was anything other than an unused substitute).

Brothers:

Jeff and Steve Johnson.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:56:43 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

bighairedmike

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »

If you're including trialists then the Chalmers Brothers both played for us.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 12:51:56 AM »

We could start a thread of football league games featuring father and son in the same team playing in the same game

When I did pub quizzes the answer was always David Herd of Manchester United (and Urmston Car Sales) fame

Anybody know any more..........or even if this one true ?
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 01:13:45 AM »

We could start a thread of football league games featuring father and son in the same team playing in the same game

When I did pub quizzes the answer was always David Herd of Manchester United (and Urmston Car Sales) fame

Anybody know any more..........or even if this one true ?

From an old article in The Guardian:

FATHER AND SON UNITED

"How many professional footballers have had their sons become professional footballers?" asks Henry Read. "Has a father and son every played at a professional level together, either in the same team, against each other or neither."

Darren Ferguson, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Neil Mellor, Paul Dalglish, Nigel Clough, Frank Lampard Jr, Jamie Redknapp, Michael Owen, Paolo Maldini, Michael and Brian Laudrup, Jordi Cruyff ... the list of sons whose fathers were well known professionals just goes on and on and on.

However, special mention must go to the Summerbee clan who, as Thomas Robson points out, boast not two but three generations of pro footballers in the family ranks: journeyman grandfather George, superstar son Mike and rejected-by-Sunderland grandson Nicky. Indeed, so impressed was author Colin Shindler with one of Maine Road's favourite family's achievements that he felt compelled to write a best-seller about them, entitled Fathers, Sons And Football.

However, it was the second part of Henry's question about father-son combos playing together that prompted the most interesting response.

Many of you pointed out that Eidur Gudjohnsen replaced his father Arnor, a fellow striker, during Iceland's game against Estonia in 1996. Alas, the Gudjohnsen's never quite made it into the on-field XI at the same time. According to Lindberg Simon, they were both supposed to start in the following international but Eidur broke his ankle and was unavailable for selection.

Meanwhile in Finland, writes Antti Lassila, one recent father-son duo to play in the same team are "the Russian-born Aleksei Jeremenkos of HJK Helsinki, who played regularly together during the last Finnish season."

Quite a few people also name-checked Alec Herd and his son David, who played together for Stockport County in the 1950s, although Kalyan Bose thinks Herd the Younger may not have been a professional at the time, but an amateur or apprentice. Hats off, Kalyan - that's the kind of pedantry we love here at The Knowledge.

As if that wasn't enough, Mike Price rowed in with the George Easthams, who lined up for Ards in Northern Ireland, as well as player-manager Ian Bowyer and his son (no, not him), who played together for Hereford United in the early 1990s.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 01:59:57 AM »

I think the Herds may also both have played cricket for Timperley too.

Jimmy

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 06:20:27 PM »

3 generations of hateleys now as mark hateleys' lad Tom is playing in Poland

taxi Phil

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 08:25:29 PM »

Was Josh Mitten related to ex-player manager Charlie ?

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 08:50:56 PM »

Anyone remember when the Matlock squad contained about four players called "Fenoughty"?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 09:09:49 PM »

Anyone remember when the Matlock squad contained about four players called "Fenoughty"?

Tom, Nick and Mick

PaulClementsLaments

• Regular First Team
  • I wish I was a spaceman...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 09:13:07 PM »

An Alty nemesis, Jeff Barmby Scarborough and Goole striker of the 70s - his son Nick played for several Premiership sides in the 90s (Everton, Spurs, Hull) and his son Jack was at Manchester United and is now at Leicester I believe.

Paul

thegazelle

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 09:18:18 PM »

a mate of mine  was a  cub reporter for the lancashire evening post and regales me with a story where he had to lsend in the match report from lancaster v matlock where matlock won 10-1 the scorers were fenoughty n 3 fenoughty d  2 fenoughty x 1 fenoughty f 1 or something like that .
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Second Generation