PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Interesting point
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interesting point  (Read 5919 times)

brian1925

Interesting point
« on: September 05, 2010, 09:19:34 AM »

Just noticed that Forest Green drew 0-0 with Southport today. Both teams seem to have defended reasonably well this season. Southport drafted in centre half Robbie Williams from Accrington and Forest Green brought in Luke Jones from Mansfield, one of our targets. Either one of these players could have replaced Greg Young. If it was merely a question of finance, how come we ended up with Marc Joseph and Michael Welch? Surely, we could have saved money on wages for these two and paid decent wages out for a proper replacement for a key departing player. It's the same with Michael Carr, who could have replaced Tom Kearney in midfield. Instead we are outbid by Nantwich and end up with Holmes and Holsgrove. Not sure if it's really a case of lack of finances, or just plain bad judgement by our manager. It's not even hindsight. For example, most of us noticed that Marc Joseph wasn't up to it and that Michael Carr did well in pre-season.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting point
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 10:55:07 AM »

Jones went for full time football, a 2 year contract and a club house to live in

Butty

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 01:08:01 PM »

Also it may not be as simple as that- whilst I garee with what you are saying, if one of our signings gets injured, we would be screwed.

joe

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 06:00:45 PM »

Also it may not be as simple as that- whilst I garee with what you are saying, if one of our signings gets injured, we would be screwed.

There has to be better defenders out there than Joseph though,even in Sunday league football! He was poor all through pre season yet instead of trying to find someone else we persisted with him and eventually signed him!

Jenga

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 06:10:17 PM »

I said from word go that I didnt like Joseph, and i say again I would like to see him replaced by Holmes in the back three.

John W

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »

For example, most of us noticed that Marc Joseph wasn't up to it and that Michael Carr did well in pre-season.

Cousin lives in Nantwich and he reckons that Carr's on £400/week.  As Carr lives in that area, bit of a no-brainer really.

watcher

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »

"Cousin lives in Nantwich and he reckons that Carr's on £400/week.  As Carr lives in that area, bit of a no-brainer really"

Hi all, Nantwich fan here. Theres not a chance that michael carr is on that sort of money. I know for a fact that our top earner is £250 a week and thats our main striker. Carr is probably around that but he has refused to sign a contract so i dont know if that would change the amount we pay him. Also i was told he had a big arguement with your manager about only playing 15 minutes in pre season games and wanted regular footbal which we could offer him.Must say he could play alot higher
We have also signed former alty player danny adams, who i must say is a class act. Not the quickest of players but wins every tackle and never gives the ball away,You can see why hes made a decent living out of the game and played as high as he has.
Hope you turn things around soon, as our local conference club always like to see you doing well

bigcol

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 12:57:32 PM »

Shows the difference in levels though: it was agreed that Danny wasn't BSP standard anymore when he was on trail in the summer.

altyshop

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 07:17:42 PM »

Totally agree with the 1st post
we could all see Joseph was not up to the BSP standard,yet GH still signed him,nothing against the player,he tries but just isnt good enough.
Being truthfully honest Joseph is not the only player who has signed this season and has not been as good as any of the players.
GH and KMc are 100% responsible for who we signed and who we released,we can accept 1 or 2 mistakes (just look at Sir Alex with Veron,Kleberson etc) but to sign Joseph and Twiss on a contract is extremely poor judgement,plus the decisions to release some of last season players ar poor......i know finances are tight but just look at southport who cant afford mega money like ourselves but have signed good,solid,experienced players who might not be the most skillfull player but can peform at this level and be hard to beat and solid.
I hate to say it but the management take full responsibility of the players at this club

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 08:10:09 PM »

Totally agree with the 1st post
we could all see Joseph was not up to the BSP standard,yet GH still signed him,nothing against the player,he tries but just isnt good enough.
Being truthfully honest Joseph is not the only player who has signed this season and has not been as good as any of the players.
GH and KMc are 100% responsible for who we signed and who we released,we can accept 1 or 2 mistakes (just look at Sir Alex with Veron,Kleberson etc) but to sign Joseph and Twiss on a contract is extremely poor judgement,plus the decisions to release some of last season players ar poor......i know finances are tight but just look at southport who cant afford mega money like ourselves but have signed good,solid,experienced players who might not be the most skillfull player but can peform at this level and be hard to beat and solid.
I hate to say it but the management take full responsibility of the players at this club

You and a few others on here have peculiarly short memories.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

brian1925

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:08 PM »

Michael Carr would have been a great signing for us, especially since we were so depleted in midfield at the start of the season. He has a proven Conference National record and is a quality box-to-box midfielder. It begs the question, as so many of us noticed his quality in pre-season, why wasn't he given more of an opportunity to play?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Interesting point
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 10:07:59 PM »

I didn't see his quality in pre season. His proven conference record might be the same as Michael Twiss's. I reckon he might have got more games in pre season if he hadn't f**ked off to Gateshead to try and earn a full time deal there halfway through his trial period with us.

matnvfcmad

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 10:15:52 PM »

Surprised you didnt make a move for Carrsy you seem to with all our ex players ::)

altyshop

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 10:19:06 PM »

I thought Carr would have been a decent signing,and if Nantwich could afford him then we surely could.
I also thought Adam Nowland looked decent also,but pre-season is very different to a BSP league game. What i cant get my head round is Doran & Carden leaving...Both had alot to offer and i though when they played last year they both peformed well,i dont know the story behind Dorans departure but Carden looked sharp last season,was skillfull and a good passer of the ball and in pre-season, yet was released at the end of pre season-very strange decision for me that one,especially as that is what we are crying out for now???

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 10:39:03 PM »

Surprised you didnt make a move for Carrsy you seem to with all our ex players ::)

Seeing as how we're nearby and we actually pay people their wages instead of robbing them blind, it made good sense for them to make the switch......
Come on Alty!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Interesting point