Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best Loan player alty have ever had? and of course the worst ever?????
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Loan player alty have ever had? and of course the worst ever?????  (Read 5882 times)

Jacko

following on from the other thread, i liked shotton, i bet we've had a few bad ones too, Brown wasnt too good last season on loan

RocketDan

Re: Best Loan player alty have ever had? and of course the worst ever?????
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:35:32 PM »

Shotton is by far the best loan player we've had.

bigcol

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:46:35 PM »

Shotton is by far the best loan player we've had.

+1 for that.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »

Keith Russell on Loan from Blackpool before we signed him (then crap when we did, and I think our highest ever purchase at £15,000 ???... Other non league teams take note) I doubt a loan player has ever scored so many goals for us ? (19 goals in 20 games).. I prepare to be proved wrong....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:00:53 PM by gazwarrington »

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »

Must agree with Keith Russell as the best, a class act who only went " crap" when pushed out on the wing.   

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 10:17:17 PM »

Shotton may be the best player i've ever seen in an Alty shirt

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 10:18:27 PM »

Shotton for me , but Conners could be a candidate  if he continues his present form

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 12:42:24 AM »

keith russell was the best alty player i've had the priveledge of seeing on loan... my hero for a season... then we signed him and he flopped like a sumo wrestler in a diving contest

RocketDan

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 01:23:54 AM »

The Worst ever?

Maybe James Dean... Scored a 30 yeard screamer away (at Salisbury?), then proceeded to stand around with his hands in his pockets for the next 6 games.

Teasing us with an amazing flukey goal his silky skills, and then not delivering, or even bother to trying.

Alex

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 03:30:04 AM »

Ryan Shotton, during that season he arrived with little fan fair on his first stint as people were caught up in the whole logan thing but by the time his second coming came away at v•cs he was just simply a terrace hero.

Worse that I have seen that right back at kettering this season just not upto it.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:51 AM »

You have to be quite kidding don't you?

Now I love Ryan Shotton for all the reasons we've been through here before and I'm following his progress closely (and proudly) but there's a degree of romanticism about him here that manifests itself in your statement.

When he played for us his efforts were tremendous but his performances were very good. Don't get me wrong, for an 18 (?) year old kid on loan to us it was way beyond what we'd expect but he didn't keep us up. It was obvious he had some quality and indeed he may go on to play regularly in the top flight in which case an element of your quote may be correct - he may become the best player to have worn an Alty short - but he's not the best player I've seen play for us.

You could argue that performance wise he was behind Colin Little and Greg Young that season.

I don't want to sound harsh because he is one of my favourite players but I wouldn't say he was better (for Alty) than other young players we've had like an early Ian Craney or perhaps a better example a 17 year old Nicky Daws. And that's before we start moving into the realms of Showler, McKenna, Swindells, Barrow, Johnson, Little etc

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »

As for best an worst ever, Russell was incredible in his initial loan spell. I think the problem with him was that we went to a level where defensive were actually organised and you had to do more than just be quick and run onto the ball and finish. See also Leroy Chambers (particularly with offsides).

Felt sorry for Andre Jones, he just about managed to acquit himself at Kettering but it was a clear example of how different first team BSP football is compared to reserve team/academy football.

He was however a cut above some of the dross that came and went (either on loan or otherwise) during the dismal 1996/97 season whose names bypass me ( I liked Sammy Ayorinde though!)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »

Sammy Ayorinde... Always like to remember him as a goal scoring machine and far better than what he was... When in fact I don't think he scored that many.

Narcissist

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »

You have to be quite kidding don't you?

Now I love Ryan Shotton for all the reasons we've been through here before and I'm following his progress closely (and proudly) but there's a degree of romanticism about him here that manifests itself in your statement.

When he played for us his efforts were tremendous but his performances were very good. Don't get me wrong, for an 18 (?) year old kid on loan to us it was way beyond what we'd expect but he didn't keep us up. It was obvious he had some quality and indeed he may go on to play regularly in the top flight in which case an element of your quote may be correct - he may become the best player to have worn an Alty short - but he's not the best player I've seen play for us.

You could argue that performance wise he was behind Colin Little and Greg Young that season.

I don't want to sound harsh because he is one of my favourite players but I wouldn't say he was better (for Alty) than other young players we've had like an early Ian Craney or perhaps a better example a 17 year old Nicky Daws. And that's before we start moving into the realms of Showler, McKenna, Swindells, Barrow, Johnson, Little etc

To be fair ballers, if you had only been watching alty since the season we had Shotton on loan he may well be the best player youve seen in an alty shirt, arguably. We didnt all get to see Showler, McKenna, Swindells, Barrow, Johnson, Little etc play for Alty. The lad did say best player 'he'd ever seen in the shirt'.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 11:46:03 AM »

To be fair ballers, if you had only been watching alty since the season we had Shotton on loan he may well be the best player youve seen in an alty shirt, arguably. We didnt all get to see Showler, McKenna, Swindells, Barrow, Johnson, Little etc play for Alty. The lad did say best player 'he'd ever seen in the shirt'.

Yes I did think that actually but carried on with the diatribe regardless, natch.... Althogh imo that would still put him behind Young and Little (certainly Col that season anyway)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Best Loan player alty have ever had? and of course the worst ever?????