News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tom Bailey

Author Topic: Tom Bailey  (Read 2830 times)

Alty365

Tom Bailey
« on: December 14, 2007, 02:19:16 PM »

Congratulations to Tom Bailey on receiving his cap from the Cheshire FA. Clearly the fact you have to play 10 games before receiving this award shows how well he has done. Surely a player of this calibre has a good future at the club? How long before he starts to break into the reserves/first team reckoning?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Bailey
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 04:01:14 PM »

I echo your congratulations.

However, the problem is the gap between Youth Team football and the BS Premier.

In recent years, the likes of Stephen Lunt, Kieran Lugsden, Lee Hendley and Ben Deegan were regular goalscorers for the Youth Team but never became first team regulars (for whatever reason).

Oh, and what has happened as regards the 'reserve team'?
Haven't seen a fixture/trial game mentioned for ages.     
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alty365

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 04:35:17 PM »

The lack of reserve games does worry me slightly. Having said that we no longer have a reserve squad so any games are effectively first team practice games. I expressed the concern earlier in the season that with no reserve team there is little or no chance of bridging the gap between youth and first teams. If we are to derive any real benefit from having a youth team this must be addressed.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 11:41:49 PM »

The lack of reserve games does worry me slightly. Having said that we no longer have a reserve squad so any games are effectively first team practice games. I expressed the concern earlier in the season that with no reserve team there is little or no chance of bridging the gap between youth and first teams. If we are to derive any real benefit from having a youth team this must be addressed.

Agreed. We have minimal backup if we get hit by more injuries.

Nevertheless, I think it was the Kiddie v Cambridge match where there were a good few teenagers playing (mostly for Cambridge - and they are doing well in the league). I would love to see us developing youngsters to this standard. I'd love to see more players of the calibre of Ian Craney & Lewis Chalmers progressing through the ranks. We have both the potential and the coaching talent.

altymad

Reserve Team
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 01:34:29 PM »

I think the club needs to invest a bit of money and time into making a reserve team for next season,
our youth team is one of the best we've had this season with most of theml ooking able to cut it at this level.
Come on alty thesekids are our future.

Narcissist

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 01:48:10 PM »

Agree. Whats the point of taking over Hale Barnes United if the players are just being brought up in an alty shirt until theyre 18 and then they go elsewhere because there's no realistic route to the 1st team and a contract.

Imagine an alty team with 5 or 6 lads from the immediate area who watched from the terraces. For me its an absolute dream. We are really close to making it happen too. dont let it go to waste!

Alex

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 02:04:19 PM »

the ressies were stopped this year because of the farse of a league they were in last year that had games being called off here there and everywhere. plus we were in the yorkshire section that had us playing the likes of bradfor park avenue etc. i think this years i dea of just having friendlies against league opposition is a good idea they just need to have more of them now we have the flood lights working.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 10:38:47 AM »

Why can't the youths play in the same league as the div 2 youths? (Whichever league that is) They seem to be good enough.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 05:19:07 PM »

Could we not have a reserve team competing in the Manchester League or the Mid-Cheshire League? The Witton Albion reserves compete in the Mid-Cheshire league,while Marine Reserves compete in the West Cheshire League.
They really should be beating teams like us

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 07:59:05 PM »

Could we not have a reserve team competing in the Manchester League or the Mid-Cheshire League? The Witton Albion reserves compete in the Mid-Cheshire league,while Marine Reserves compete in the West Cheshire League.

Didn't the reserves used to play in the Mid-Cheshire (as it was then) some years ago but pulled out as it wasn't tesing the team?
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Alty365

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 08:06:08 PM »

I appreciate the point regarding the lack of decent opposition and also the problems with the league we played in last season. However, the fact remains that to fully benefit from our youth team there needs to be a structure in place that allows them to break into "senior" football. The principal behind the reserve fixtures played this season is quite sound but we simply haven't played enough of them. We effectively don't have a reserve team anymore because the "reserve" games have only really featured first team players and a few triallists.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Tom Bailey