JOLLY BUTCHER TIMP
- 1 (10%)
THE SWANN ALTY
- 0 (0%)
THE PELICAN
- 3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BEST PUB IN ALTRINCHAM AND TIMPERLEY  (Read 7563 times)

Altyroo

Re: BEST PUB IN ALTRINCHAM AND TIMPERLEY
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 02:14:44 PM »

Having lived in Wales for 6 years now i dont really know what the pubs are like now. When i lived over there  my regular watering hole was the Wendover in Baguley, living over the road helped. When living in Timperley i was a regually seen in the Hare & Hounds, only ever went in the Quarry Bank once and i only lived 2 minutes down Bloomsbury Lane.

RocketDan

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »

Le Trappiste, sadly it is now closed.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 08:03:43 PM »

The Hare & Hounds was our old fave - my dad & I would enjoy a pint or two in there of a Saturday lunchtime

NorthernMonkey

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 11:23:28 AM »

Le Trappiste, sadly it is now closed

Yeah real shame.

No fan of the Navigation - much prefer the Packet of the two.

I'm bobbins with pub names, but what's the one opposite the Victoria - always seems ok. The one near Alty's ground has some nice eye candy...

Stamford and Griffen are ok up in Bowden.

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 11:49:15 AM »

Not really qualified to give an up-to-date judgement, as I now live in West Yorkshire (Ripponden), but I do have fond memories, from my Sale days, of calling in at the Deedar takeaway in Broadheath (now the Saffron, I think), ordering a chicken madras with pilau rice, bombay potatoes, popadams (sp?), pickle tray etc and asking them to delay it by half-an-hour or so while I went further along the road to the Railway, which, in those days, was a Boddingtons house. The ale and the curry were both of the highest order, and there was always someone to talk to in the Railway, a proper pub. Another equally fond memory is of the time before the sad demise of the Wilsons brewery, when the Orange Tree came as near to perfection as you could hope to in a pint pot. Freshly pulled, it would look like a pint of milk to begin with but would then settle, layer by layer like a Guinness, until you were left with the smoothest pint of bitter you could possibly wish for. Also liked the Wilsons in the Woodcourt in Brooklands and couldn't believe my eyes a few years ago when I drove along Brooklands Road and saw the Woody had been knocked down and replaced by flats. Scandalous. Last time I was in that Broadheath takeaway, by the way, it was called the British Raj, and the madras was still spot on.

fuertes

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 12:00:11 PM »

There's a few I like(d), depends on my mood.

For out-and-out weirdness, I quite like the Cheshire Midland. We once went in there to see a fisherman with the full regalia sat on his own seriously racing through a pint. Then a woman at the bar just randomaly started singing at full volume - this was the middle of the day. Then a couple came in and challenged me and my step-Dad to a game of darts. We're not that good, can reliably hit the board but little more, but accepted their challenge in the expectation they would rinse us. They were absolutely DREADFUL. The woman missed the board more often than she hit, and we raped them. Very odd experience, but kind of fun!

I used to like the Hare and Hounds when I had mates living in Timperley. I think they've gone for the gastropub vibe now though haven't they?

The Bull's Head in Halebarns is quite nice, nice outside section in summer.

We do lack pubs with a really good variety of ales though. I know the Old Market Tavern and the Orange Tree have a few, but it's brilliant when you go into a place with half a dozen or more.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »

For those old enough to remember, one of my favourite pubs which is now long gone was the Axe & Cleaver which was at the bottom of what was Kingsway. (If memory serves me well) A mighty fine pint was served in there.

We also used to go in the Unicorn in those days and the Stonemasons in Timperley.. I did once have the honour of getting barred from The Packet back in the 70's.  You had to go some in those days to get barred  ;) :D  The Hare & Hounds was good before they turned it into a Eatery... :(

We sometimes call at the Griffin for something to eat & a drink  when we now come to watch Alty...

Best barmaids in Alty... Has to be Jen & Helen..

bighairedmike

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 12:36:44 PM »

There's a few I like(d), depends on my mood.

For out-and-out weirdness, I quite like the Cheshire Midland. We once went in there to see a fisherman with the full regalia sat on his own seriously racing through a pint. Then a woman at the bar just randomaly started singing at full volume - this was the middle of the day. Then a couple came in and challenged me and my step-Dad to a game of darts. We're not that good, can reliably hit the board but little more, but accepted their challenge in the expectation they would rinse us. They were absolutely DREADFUL. The woman missed the board more often than she hit, and we raped them. Very odd experience, but kind of fun!
I used to like the Hare and Hounds when I had mates living in Timperley. I think they've gone for the gastropub vibe now though haven't they?

The Bull's Head in Halebarns is quite nice, nice outside section in summer.

We do lack pubs with a really good variety of ales though. I know the Old Market Tavern and the Orange Tree have a few, but it's brilliant when you go into a place with half a dozen or more.

That is quite possibly the best quote I have read on here ever. Although I wouldn't let the word spread too much...  ;D

tottenham alty

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »

Is this the Belgian beer bar nearAlty market?

if so thats a shame  :(

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 12:04:01 AM »

It has either re-opened or will do shortly under the name of 'The Belgian Bar Cafe'.

NorthernMonkey

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 01:22:49 PM »

Ahh glad that it's reopening.

Another couple of decent spots are the vine up past dunham, and don't mind a pint in the wheatsheaf, orange tree or the market tavern either.

Don't mind wandering up to the place at Alty Golf club either, on a nice day.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 BEST PUB IN ALTRINCHAM AND TIMPERLEY