PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Can the Board help GH at all?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can the Board help GH at all?  (Read 6760 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: September 09, 2007, 02:02:31 PM »

I think that the main reason that a lot of Alty supporters are so frustrated at present is that we are dropping points that have been there for the taking:

Stafford Rangers (A): a silly defensive lapse gifts them an equaliser and then we have plenty of possession in the second half but no cutting edge whatsoever;

Aldershot Town (H): a hatful of chances created but not taken.....and what could have been a win - and should have at least been a draw - turns into another defeat;

Oxford United (H): the opposition were unimpressive but we fail to test their reserve keeper enough. A positive approach later in the second half brings a deserved equaliser but then yet more defensive chaos presents Oxford with two 'soft' goals.

It's glaringly obvious that we need to enhance our attacking options if we are ever to register a victory.

We read last week that GH had tried to recruit an unnamed striker on loan but that the proposed deal had fallen through due to financial restraints.

Seriously, is there not any way that the Board could help GH by releasing some funds to help him to bring in a much-needed forward?

Yes, I know the limited budget mantra off by heart but if we take no action, relegation will surely ensue.

The impression I get when talking to various Alty fans is that there is a perception (which may be incorrect) that the Board aren't really that concerned about whether we are relegated.

Yes, I'm sure that a new toilet block will look lovely.....but there will be far fewer people to use its facilities in the BS North!     

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
Re: Can the Board help GH at all?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 02:22:26 PM »

The impression I get is that the board steadfastly refuses to put the club into debt and will not spend money that is not there. However,  I also get the impression that if the money is there, it will be spent.  I do think the board cares whether or not we are relegated, but Conference National is not to be achieved at any cost.  I honestly don't think the money is there for players short of getting us back into debt.  Hence we are struggling. 

I think that the club is absolutely spot on in terms of spending money on new floodlights, toilet blocks, catering etc.  These are long term investments on infrastructure that have been sadly lacking in the past.  We are light years behind many clubs at this level in terms of our facilities.

GH made an interesting remark at the forum the other week.  "Does anyone think that how we are going about things is wrong?"  And nobody said no...  If we don't want a sugar daddy, or want financial stability, then we are going to struggle in this league with the club in its current financial state.  Simple as that.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »

Having loadsamoney doesn't stop players making genuine mistakes. The higher paid players can still make the same mistakes.
They really should be beating teams like us

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 02:30:39 PM »

I'm certainly not advocating a return to the profligate days of the Gerry Berman empire!

Plus, I don't know how far beyond our reach the terms of the recently mooted loan deal were.

However, can we not help GH out just a little here?

Has the recent departure of Rod Thornley reduced our budget?

I realise that signing any player is a gamble and carries no guarantees....but a little short term investment could well reap long term dividends if it improves the prospect of us surviving in the BS Premier.  

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 02:37:20 PM »

I'm certainly not advocating a return to the profligate days of the Gerry Berman empire!

Plus, I don't know how far beyond our reach the terms of the recently mooted loan deal were.

However, can we not help GH out just a little here?

Has the recent departure of Rod Thornley reduced our budget?

I realise that signing any player is a gamble and carries no guarantees....but a little short term investment could well reap long term dividends if it improves the prospect of us surviving in the BS Premier.  

I agree that we'll need to spend more to improve our chances of survival.  My point is that the money has to come from somewhere, and somebody has to guarantee it.  If it isn't there, where does it come from?  If the debt is called in, who pays it off?  Are you saying the board should put their hands in their own pockets?

louise1925

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 03:04:45 PM »

A new centre forward would help certainly, but I really do believe that we have a better squad than last year - opposition managers/fans seem to think so. Therefore, why are we struggling? Is GH getting it wrong? Is there trouble from within. It's all a little perplexing.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 04:07:11 PM »

I agree that we'll need to spend more to improve our chances of survival.  My point is that the money has to come from somewhere, and somebody has to guarantee it.  If it isn't there, where does it come from?  If the debt is called in, who pays it off?  Are you saying the board should put their hands in their own pockets?

I'm merely talking about the possibility of recruiting one player on a one-off deal for one month...not a huge investment in several players on ludicrous wages.

The Chequers End development money has reportedly been received, so all I am saying is that can a small supplement be given to GH to acquire a striker at this time?   

I suspect the answer will be no...

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 04:20:03 PM »

I'm merely talking about the possibility of recruiting one player on a one-off deal for one month...not a huge investment in several players on ludicrous wages.

The Chequers End development money has reportedly been received, so all I am saying is that can a small supplement be given to GH to acquire a striker at this time?  

I suspect the answer will be no...

I guess it would all depend on how much of that Chequers money is left - information which I doubt the board would divulge.  I would suspect that if there is any money left, it will be spent.  But unless we know the figures there's little point speculating on what money is available.

Ideas 4 Alty

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 05:20:31 PM »

When you look at the number of people who came in the Noel White Suite both before and after yesterday's game I think it's ludicrous to suggest that the board would not want to be in this league or that they wouldn't be bothered if we were relegated.

I doubt we'd have been bought a nice new plasma screen telly to show the England game to a few Alty fans and 5 die hards from Solihull Moors.

samba

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 06:51:01 PM »

All very true.  I think the fact we're investing in the future is great; if the bar gets extended, which I had heard was the plan, it'll be great for earning money in the week.  However, I do think our lack of willing to invest money in the club is going to hurt us.

I won't pretend to know how to run a football club, or know what's best, so I won't criticise.  I'm sure everyone's doing as good as they can on the board, and I'm very proud of the fact we're run properly and aren't in debt.  But it would be nice to see a little money made available.  Surely the 85k sentanta money can help towards that?

altyf

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 08:04:38 PM »

Even if we raised the funds and resources, we still have to actually find a player, we all know how hard it is to attract players to this club on part time wages and when we havnt won a game and reside in the relegation spaces. Graham does a top notch job attracting the players he does to this club and it would be great if we could get that striker but theres more than just gathering the funds.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 08:49:40 PM »

When you look at the number of people who came in the Noel White Suite both before and after yesterday's game I think it's ludicrous to suggest that the board would not want to be in this league or that they wouldn't be bothered if we were relegated.

But our Chairman has aired this view publicly, hence my concern.

I doubt we'd have been bought a nice new plasma screen telly to show the England game to a few Alty fans and 5 die hards from Solihull Moors.

Alas, I fear that your quoted scenario will become horrible reality unless things change.

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 09:02:18 PM »

It's glaringly obvious that we need to enhance our attacking options if we are ever to register a victory.

We read last week that GH had tried to recruit an unnamed striker on loan but that the proposed deal had fallen through due to financial restraints.

Seriously, is there not any way that the Board could help GH by releasing some funds to help him to bring in a much-needed forward?

Yes, I know the limited budget mantra off by heart but if we take no action, relegation will surely ensue.

The impression I get when talking to various Alty fans is that there is a perception (which may be incorrect) that the Board aren't really that concerned about whether we are relegated.

We do posses a good looking quality striker at the moment - he's on international duty. Hopefully with berkely back in the next couple of weeks will offer a more positive attacking option. Looking at the results, we have not scored in ONE match (Grays). Thats better than this time last season. attackingly (?) weve not really seen the best of either potts or logan (theyve not played 90 mins yet). Im sure with a bit of tinkering this squad is perfectly capable of securing another season in this league. Whether GH is capable of playing the guys in their best position at the right time is another discussion.

As for money, it is my understanding that most of the sultana money has been spent on the new lovely floodlights, and it seems that the wage budget has been increased (surely lane, tinson, clancy, logan, berkely, whalley, sedgemore, senior are on more money than those players who have left?). However if we do get a new forward (another rabbit out of the hat perhaps?) then who would be dropped/ released? The squad IS better than last season. Jim Smith said so, so it must be true!!!

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 09:04:07 AM »

We can talk all we like about the Chequers money, the Setanta money etc.  All I will say is that the board will know this club's financial situation better than anyone on the terraces, and I am 100% certain that if there is money available for players it will be spent on players.  If its not being spent on players it probably isn't there. 

Ideas 4 Alty

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 09:09:56 AM »

We can talk all we like about the Chequers money, the Setanta money etc.  All I will say is that the board will know this club's financial situation better than anyone on the terraces, and I am 100% certain that if there is money available for players it will be spent on players.  If its not being spent on players it probably isn't there. 

100% agree. It's all very well saying things like "until things change", but realistically what things can change? The only way we're going to make any money is by having a cup run, but in order to do that you need to win games. It's a vicious circle isn't it.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team