PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 These players ain't free you know....
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: These players ain't free you know....  (Read 6414 times)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
Re: These players ain't free you know....
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 08:31:01 PM »

It is a shame, as I say, that the fan is an innocent victim.

Some are and some aren't.

remember some Grays fans saying that who cares where the club is financially they can just reform as Grays 20xx if the money goes ? (I DO)

Or how many fans do we pre-warn but they come over all 'big time' and then want sympathy when it all goes wrong ?

Sorry but some situations are OBVIOUS and probably half the teams in this league SHOULD NOT be full time but are, to me thats gaining an unfair advantage and cheating week in and week out. Some of the money that the likes of Rushden, Cambridge and the likes are losing is just ridiculous

Altysmiffy

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 08:46:11 PM »

It is flattering that you visit our forum so much.

Not really mate, i visit all teams forums and websites as i update and write for many myself, and like to keep abreast of the situation at every club. Im sure it wasn't a problem anyway?  ;)

Au contraire. WE all enjoy intelligent & knowledgable discussion, not to mention the input of someone from a different club.

Altyant

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 08:57:28 PM »

Talking to one of your fans after our game the other Tuesday, he said one of your directors was on the Conference board and it was most likely Crawley would not be playing in the Conference next season, whether they're in the bottom four or not.

Does anyone know anymore about this? (He says, clinging to hope! ;))

It is flattering that you visit our forum so much.

The trouble with all this controversy is i is people like you who are the losers. The fan supports the team & the players on the pitch, but cannot affect what happens to the club behind the scene. Alty fans have been very very patient as the club have eroded away their debts, but have been more than handsomely rewarded since.

For the sake of football at this level, no team should be allowed to get away with poor financial management (if we can call it that) as teams like Weymouth, for instance, have found. telford, for instance, are first in line for the next edition of "Where are they now," and Boston, with their own variety of "bad financial management," got away with murder and shouldn't have, but no club should be able to get into a position where this can happen.

Must admit I totally agree - have a Goodwin

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 11:48:55 PM »

Some are and some aren't.

remember some Grays fans saying that who cares where the club is financially they can just reform as Grays 20xx if the money goes ? (I DO)

Or how many fans do we pre-warn but they come over all 'big time' and then want sympathy when it all goes wrong ?

Sorry but some situations are OBVIOUS and probably half the teams in this league SHOULD NOT be full time but are, to me thats gaining an unfair advantage and cheating week in and week out. Some of the money that the likes of Rushden, Cambridge and the likes are losing is just ridiculous

If they can cover their loses though then it can't really amount to cheating, surely?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:55:11 PM by Jimmy Hill »
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 09:36:15 AM »

Depends how you cover losses ?

If you cover losses by not paying back people in full then yes that is cheating as far as I'm concerned.

markecky

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 10:31:13 AM »

Chris. would it fair to say that in recent weeks you have gone off Tuesdays?

Ashley Alty

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 11:11:24 AM »

But the Crawley fans know all of this and want the club to be relegated, that way, they might get rid of these idiots and get on with normal football and rebuild their once proud club.  Fans are staying away from home matches in their droves, they won't even visit the bar at the ground as it puts money into the owners pockets.  When we were there recently, a Crawley Town fan of my acquaintance stood on his own for the match as none of his regular match buddies go to home matches until the Brothers Grim move on.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 11:30:36 AM »

Thats is a VERY good point and yes Crawley fans do indeed seem to be realistic and understand what supporting a club is about (barr the full on band) and are not happy about the situation.

I did enjoy the "Going Down" chant towards us in the 1st half at their place when infact they could save us (or another club) from that partiular fate.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 02:49:22 PM »

GRAHAM ON FINANCES
In today's NL Paper Graham Heathcote is quoted on the subject of punishments for financial irregularities. He said, "For me, the biggest mistake is docking clubs only ten points if they go into administration. Ten points for a high-flying club is a slap on the wrist. It becomes a calculated risk that they can lose their debts and still be OK. They should be relegated at least one division. That would make clubs sit up and take notice. At the moment the Conference rules will not stop people chasing the dream and putting their existence on the line. We were £700,000 in debt but the new board have eradicated most of that [without going into administration]. Because we balance the books, we cannot be extravagant like other clubs". The article adds that "Kidderminster chairman Barry Norgrove also backed the scheme".

Well said Graham

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 04:59:29 PM »

Chris. would it fair to say that in recent weeks you have gone off Tuesdays?

Haha! And Saturdays.....!

We're lucky we have no remaining midweek games left, we haven't won one all season.

ChrisVessey CUFC

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2007, 05:14:31 PM »

GRAHAM ON FINANCES
In today's NL Paper Graham Heathcote is quoted on the subject of punishments for financial irregularities. He said, "For me, the biggest mistake is docking clubs only ten points if they go into administration. Ten points for a high-flying club is a slap on the wrist. It becomes a calculated risk that they can lose their debts and still be OK. They should be relegated at least one division. That would make clubs sit up and take notice. At the moment the Conference rules will not stop people chasing the dream and putting their existence on the line. We were £700,000 in debt but the new board have eradicated most of that [without going into administration]. Because we balance the books, we cannot be extravagant like other clubs". The article adds that "Kidderminster chairman Barry Norgrove also backed the scheme".

Well said Graham

I find it hard to disagree to an extent, but at Cambridge we were severely financially mismanaged by people who have fled the club. Why should we, the fans, or the new regime, have to suffer for peoples ills who are no longer there? Why shouldn't there be something in punishing the likes of the people that cause this bad management? As altysmiffy said further up, its always the honest fans that suffer. Cambridge have never been a 'big spending' outfit with some bank roller, so i don't like how we get lumped into the same category as Rushden or Crawley.

There's no way Cambridge could be deducted points again and relegated on the strength of not being able to cover our losses because of our previous board. We've tried cutting costs to the max but a crippling £200k rent per annum means we either continue to lose money, or cut costs to an extreme that it could finish us off.

I haven't had (nor expected) much sympathy from the likes of altysmiffy or gazwarrington on this subject, but i just hope you understand that theres a million reasons why certain clubs have to continue losing money to an extent. It's not always black and white 'cut costs now or else!'. If we win the battle to buy our ground back again, then we can get on an even keel, until then we have to keep going as we are. If we don't get the Abbey back, then we're f**ked anyway. But we have to give it a shot.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 These players ain't free you know....