News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Robbie Williams, a theory.

Author Topic: Robbie Williams, a theory.  (Read 2395 times)

seasonticket

« on: September 21, 2011, 11:05:06 AM »

Last night at Colwyn Bay Robbie Williamswas one of many contenders for MOTM.
I am begining to think that he has been a better player inthe past than many gave him credit for.
The theory ( which I know will attract some adverse comments, but I would be interested in what others think).
It was said by some he was made to look good by Young. Young leaves and does not reproduce his Alty form.
Marc Joseph arrives and looks very poor. His form improves and Robbie Williams' form goes down.
Last night Williams marshalls the defence, wins most things in the air and scores a goal.
Could it be that he helped Young to look better and lost his form while covering for Joseph?
After last nights performance I hope he stays longer than his one month loan.
OK shoot that down in flames. I just wonder

fuertes

Re: Robbie Williams, a theory.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:01:39 PM »

Last night at Colwyn Bay Robbie Williamswas one of many contenders for MOTM.
I am begining to think that he has been a better player inthe past than many gave him credit for.
The theory ( which I know will attract some adverse comments, but I would be interested in what others think).
It was said by some he was made to look good by Young. Young leaves and does not reproduce his Alty form.
Marc Joseph arrives and looks very poor. His form improves and Robbie Williams' form goes down.
Last night Williams marshalls the defence, wins most things in the air and scores a goal.
Could it be that he helped Young to look better and lost his form while covering for Joseph?
After last nights performance I hope he stays longer than his one month loan.
OK shoot that down in flames. I just wonder

Not the worst theory I've ever heard.

I don't think it's ever quite as simple as "a makes b look good, b makes c look bad". I just think it's a case of Young and Williams being a good match for each other. Either, when paired with a less compatible centre back partner, looks dodgy.

Anyway, I always quite liked Williams and I'm pleased to see him back.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »

Surely the fact that he is now playing in a lower league should be a key element in your theory though?

That's not to belittle him but rather to acknowledge that he should, indeed, look more effective at this level and his occasionally erratic distribution might well be less of an issue in this league, as the opposition don't tend to retain possession as efficiently.

Incidentally, do we know if AFC Telford have granted us permission to play him in the FA Cup?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 01:14:38 PM »

Surely the fact that he is now playing in a lower league should be a key element in your theory though?

That's not to belittle him but rather to acknowledge that he should, indeed, look more effective at this level and his occasionally erratic distribution might well be less of an issue in this league, as the opposition don't tend to retain possession as efficiently.

Incidentally, do we know if AFC Telford have granted us permission to play him in the FA Cup?

yes, they have
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:02:23 PM »

Very mature and effectoive performance, he was very supportive of and helpful to Fearon at right back.

RocketDan

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »

I've got a theory about Robbie Williams...........

the closer he is to wales the better he plays.

Clean sheet away at Wrexham in the fa trophy, goal at Chester Away, goal last night.

just suffers when we travel east!

B. 4D

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:30:41 PM »

yes, they have
and that his loan period finishes on the next Wednesday!!!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team