PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 We've got to learn and quickly
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: We've got to learn and quickly  (Read 18846 times)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: We've got to learn and quickly
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2014, 08:45:16 PM »

What did Gillespie bring to the game when he came on ? Very little in my opinion, which probably sums up his season so far...........he has become another Michael Twiss and I expect we are unable to offload him and his wages to allow others to be brought in before May
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Jenga

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »

Just a point to you guys who think my comments is crap, even though i stand by it. If the ground is poor and the players struggling to move it, play it on the other side of the pitch, that is all i am saying. Maybe Clee had different studs on perhaps or perhaps everything in the supporters eyes is simple maybe. I didnt know about the comment saying the ground was rock hard, but i believe that gives my comments some credit.

Or perhaps still i talk sh*te all the time and know nothing.

Anyway whatever.

Happy Xmas.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »

As others have said, without Cav and Simon we lacked any midfield aggression and a poor Nuneaton bossed us in the middle of the park. However, we lost the game because their keeper had a cracking game and Reevesy missed a sitter he would normally have put away in his sleep.

Brian, I'm not sure which sitter you're referring to (the later one I presume) but Reevesy does not put those away in his sleep. I didn't think he'd score as he misses more one on ones than he puts away.

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 09:10:39 PM »

What did Gillespie bring to the game when he came on ? Very little in my opinion, which probably sums up his season so far...........he has become another Michael Twiss and I expect we are unable to offload him and his wages to allow others to be brought in before May

To be fair I thought Gillespie was brought on too late, when the whole team had pretty much given up. He hasn't been given the opportunities that Twiss had but only Lee knows why. Not a criticism of Sinnott more sticking up for Gillespie.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »

Thought we were a little insipid, but nothing that awful.

Reeves had three very good chances; the one on one in the first half (Clee then missed a great chance off the rebound), the header and the one on one near the end. When you add in Lawrie's header I make that four/five chances that were disappointing to miss.

If we'd scored one of those at 0-0 Nuneaton would have gone to sh*t. Unfortunately we didn't. These things happen, Reeves has off days.

The only odd thing is that we seem to have a weird problem about winning when we're favourites. We've probably only won one game when favourites this season which is just bloody odd.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

roytonmike

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »

Today shows how important Richman & Cavanagh are to our midfield; Densmore's energy and crossing ability was also missed. My understanding is that Richman & Densmore were absent thru illness & Cavanagh thru a knee problem. In the absence of those three we were woeful in midfield in terms of winning the ball - Williams was the only player in that department with any pretensions as a ball-winner & even those are dubious. Lawrie & Crowther were their usual selves - Crowther all the more so; Reeves had a bad day at the office (when you give him time it usually presents a problem whereas when he acts on instinct it usually works). Sadly, today reminded me of both our visits to Nuneaton - we played down to their level - except that we didn't really rally in the closing stages. Perhaps when people review today's performance & result they will understand why my expectations for the season were (and are) conservative?

Jimmy

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »

Even after today I can't understand your low expectations mike but like me you have seen us struggle at this level  before

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2014, 11:06:49 PM »

We did OK in the first half and had the chances to go in at half time well in front. We didn't take them (and their keeper fully deserved their MOM award) and obviously at HT Nuneaton are thinking we're still in this, came out and improved (a bit) on their first half efforts and nicked a goal. We huffed and puffed but quality was a bit lacking today. Yes it's frustrating that we can't do better against lower teams but today we missed a few key players and still created by far the better chances. OK we didn't put them away but possibly one of those days and their keeper did deserve MOM. Let's not be too despondent, looking forward to a better performance on NYD.

Addendum: People often bitch about refs but it did seem that 6 mins added time was a bit generous, although even then we didn't score.

By the way the Vergers ringpiece has now fully cleared up bringing comfort all round. Unfortunately his wife's Mary became "inflamed over Christmas" and taken on a hue of beetroot, hopefully the same antibtiotics will work wonders as for the poor (now recovering) Verger. Merry Christmas and happy new year!

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2014, 11:20:04 PM »

Not a lot Sinnott could do with 3 big players missing. but putting Clee on the right to accommodate Crowther no way.

We wernt much worse than we were at Chester.

As for Crowther, utter waste of space and wouldn't win a 70-30 challenge
Full time and proud of it

Jimmy

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2014, 11:34:47 PM »

Found it just as strange when crowther came off clee still didn't go to the left

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 12:32:53 AM »

To be fair I thought Gillespie was brought on too late, when the whole team had pretty much given up. He hasn't been given the opportunities that Twiss had but only Lee knows why. Not a criticism of Sinnott more sticking up for Gillespie.

Ok, my frustrations after today's game are getting the better of me here. It is probably unfair of me to single out just one player today and a late(ish) substitute at that.

I still think though that the squad needs a shake up - I am sure most of the teams below us will strengthen in the new year. I suspect that Alfreton will do enough to stay up.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Jimmy

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 12:54:57 AM »

I think we will stay up however it would help to have a better forward and a bit of life on the right the forward even if we play 1 upfront you need someone better on bench than Gillespie and perry in general squad not to bad

taxi Phil

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2014, 01:01:53 AM »

I think we would have actually won the match but for their keeper. But that does nothing to dilute my view that, yet again, we have lost to a desperately poor team. They were crap when they beat us at their place, and if anything they've deteriorated since then.

Perhaps the whole squad, including Sinnott and Tolson, should be analysed by a psychiatrist to find out what on earth goes wrong on days like this. To lose to one of your relegation rivals at home is bad enough. We've now lost to three of them, and have dropped 14 points out of 15 to the current bottom three clubs. Telford will be confident of taking three points when they come here on that basis alone.

It is fortunate that the bottom four are as poor as they are.....I think it would take a disaster of mammoth proportions for us to be relegated. But I'm desperately unhappy tonight.

I would definitely dispose of Crowther and Gillespie at the earliest opportunity, but then where do we find any better replacements ?

Full marks to today's ref however, who spoke to the Nuneaton bench near the end I suspect about the time wasting. I said to Hash and Bury Alty that I would add 6 minutes, and the ref obliged.

M17

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 11:36:05 AM »

Found it just as strange when crowther came off clee still didn't go to the left
clee wasn't even though on the right he was in the centre circle

Jimmy

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »

That Is a fair point but it doesn't make it all right as terry hall once said
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:59:14 PM by Jimmy »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 We've got to learn and quickly