PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Through the years!
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Through the years!  (Read 3646 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Through the years!
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:34:17 AM »

I note that Saturday is the 50th anniversary of the following Cheshire League game:

Altrincham 2 Wrexham Reserves 2

And in 1953 we had Altrincham 3 Wrexham Reserves 2

The only cup game we have played on this day was the coldest football match known to man:  FAC2 York City 0 Altrincham 0

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Through the years!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:41:58 AM »

I reckon Tow Law was definitely colder and Ryhope CA possibly so

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:48:28 PM »

I accept the Tow Law challenge but reject Ryhope: I thought it was relatively warm that day in Sunderland.

York Alty

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 02:18:51 PM »

Tow Law was bitterly bitterly cold.  That's the coldest game I've been too.  Was certianly warmer than Ryhope.

thegazelle

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 04:31:09 PM »

Tow law it is for me but what about having to boing boing at maidstone on a snow covered day

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 05:08:58 PM »

General Chemicals 0 Alty 3 in the 91/92 season was the coldest Alty game i ever went to. World's Yoldest!!

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »

I can remember one winter when we played macc away.....the first game my dad ever took us home ealy from coz we were in danger of hypothermia and we sat in the car outside the moss rose trying to hear what was going on in the match until full time from the crowd noise.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 08:15:09 PM »

Grantham away in the FA cup in the 60's for me. I believe I've already told the story on here about having to stand a a slight crouch to prevent my kneecaps going up and down with the cold?! (but it IS true!)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 09:07:04 PM »

The Cammell Laird defeat was also on the nippy side!

taxi Phil

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 10:22:36 PM »

Goalless draw at South Liverpool in the Seventies, when the pitch was like corrugated iron and I'll never know how it was passed fit ! Needed three brandies to thaw out before I could start home !

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 10:35:58 PM »

I remember us playing Telford in the late 90's I think Green was our striker.. That was a bitterly cold night.  It was in the days of when Bobby Gould worked for Sky sports.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 11:20:47 PM »

Northwich at the Drill Field on New Years Day 1995 (just before we played Spurs) was freezing, I recall snow on the ground outside and the pitch looked rock hard, how it went ahead I'll never know, Chris Sharratt IRC got our last minute equalier in a 1-1 draw. In the same vein the legendary 3-2 win at Macc about a year later when there was literally huge mounds of snow piled up all around the pitch and the 250 or so in the away end couldn't quite believe their eyes as stabby backilroy's men got a well deserved beating after his typically underhand tactics in getting the game on. In more recent times Stafford in the play off season was weird, how was that pitch passed as playable?!

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 09:14:29 AM »

Northwich at the Drill Field on New Years Day 1995 (just before we played Spurs) was freezing, I recall snow on the ground outside and the pitch looked rock hard, how it went ahead I'll never know, Chris Sharratt IRC got our last minute equalier in a 1-1 draw. In the same vein the legendary 3-2 win at Macc about a year later when there was literally huge mounds of snow piled up all around the pitch and the 250 or so in the away end couldn't quite believe their eyes as stabby backilroy's men got a well deserved beating after his typically underhand tactics in getting the game on. In more recent times Stafford in the play off season was weird, how was that pitch passed as playable?!

I'm sure George Oghani was playing in pumps that day!

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 09:28:26 AM »

I agree the 3-2 win at macc was cold but so worth it, I think Dean Pritchard got the winner ? Working in Glasgow I saw St Mirren v Dunfermline it was so cold everyone went to the bar having whiskey and stayed, the terrace was deserted.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 09:32:33 AM »

You need to drink whisky in Paisley just to get over the fact you're in Paisley (but its not as bad as Irvine, which is so bad the 2nd team in the town is called Vics - a bit like Northwich)
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Through the years!