News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 My fears for Ebbers game ........

Author Topic: My fears for Ebbers game ........  (Read 2815 times)

le bignose

« on: April 16, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »

After Saturdays impressive performance, i think a thread was posted about sticking with the same team due to the attacking style of play we possessed and by doing so WINNING the game cos if it !!

It was followed but a good response from Ecky, in which he said i think we will go with the 11 who started the game that day. And thas my fear .........

If you look back and reflect, the ONLY reason we won that game was cos of the balls shown by GH to chance and ATTACK!! I have critised GH previously for his lack of tachincal awareness and negative approach. But on that day he didnt do a single thing wrong!! But until those chances folks, we werent in the game and staring defeat in the face. If we had carried on with that team, maybe a couple of changes but not as attacking minded i would have put my house on it that we would have still lost.

Now, ok, we're away from home, so an eliment of caution is always required, BUT does it warrent the same team to start. NO

Does Mr O'Neil start, does Shots start up front, what formation, lane back in the team ???................. questions only GH has control over but one thing is for sure, and echoed on a number of posts on here since we entered this dog fight ............ WE HAVE TO ATTACK TO WIN THIS GAME!!! And saturdays performance showed without a shoadow of doubt we're capable of doing that, cos one thing GH should realise now WE CAN PLAY A DEFENSIVE FORMATION COS WE CANT CONTAIN A TEAM AND HOPE TO WIN

GH you must go out positive, take the game to them. We have it all to play for they dont !!! COME ON BOYS YOU'VE SHOWN GREAT SPIRIT !!!

markecky

Re: My fears for Ebbers game ........
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:41:14 PM »

I think this point has us split 50/50

For me we should start similar to Saturday.  Its worth remembering that we may have scored on a couple of occasions in the first half but for last ditch block tackles and a weak header from Senior.

I just worry that if we set our stall our with Shotts up front...we have no Plan B.

Some may say we won't need a plan B..but a dodgy pen on 18 mins and a deflected goal on 30 and we are 2 down.  No option to change.

For me, we should start 4-4-2 with Shotts up out sleeve.

Comments welcome as ever.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »

Alty to win 2-0, Rogers and Howard (or was it King) and the players to throw their kit into the crowd

le bignose

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »

no totally agree ecky, its always gonna be split and for this game how bloody important is it we get it right though!!

I personally wouldnt start with shotts up front purely cos he is a breath of fresh air and completely disorganises any back 4 when he goes up and thats our secret plan, unless ebbers manager reads our forum ha!! Its a nice option to have though hey!!

But it has to be a 4 4 f**king 2 formation, without question. If we go one up front then fool us and we're asking to concede im affriad. WE have to go at them.

One important thing as well, even thou Senior wasnt firing on all cylinders on satdi, he has to start. His movement, runs off the ball offer more than anything Joe does for us up front. His link up play with Little is something special and we have to play to our FULL strenghts and this is the way for me!!

louise1925

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »

I personally WOULD start with Shotts up front. It is the only time we looked remotely threatening against Salisbury. We do have a quality right back in Chris Lane and decent impact players in Joe and Carlos on the bench. We should not abandon caution quite yet, but the best form of defence is attack. Let's give the tall Ebbsfleet defenders something to think about as soon as possible, to put them on the back foot rather than waiting until we are behind.

le bignose

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:19:28 PM »

I personally WOULD start with Shotts up front. It is the only time we looked remotely threatening against Salisbury. We do have a quality right back in Chris Lane and decent impact players in Joe and Carlos on the bench. We should not abandon caution quite yet, but the best form of defence is attack. Let's give the tall Ebbsfleet defenders something to think about as soon as possible, to put them on the back foot rather than waiting until we are behind.

Some great ponits to consider there .............. the best form of attack quote - pity GH hadnt thought about that sooner, especially at home, but hey positive threads an all  that now i know !!

Yer the thing is i would have Laney in the starting 11!! the guy was on form beginning of season then dropped wasnt he????!! He's back in the fold now and shows his class again, but does that warrent Shotts up front?? I think the only reason Shotts does well once pushed up is cos we are thowing caution to the wind. Its completely different starting up there and playing to a game plan. We throw shotts in the mix to mix it up a bit and thats what he does ......... we aint seen him there from the start and thats why i wouldnt go for that option from the off!!

baldrick

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 02:25:06 PM »

I would start with Little and Senior up front. Shotton could probably do a good job in any position, but he is a defender and he is needed as cover for the increasingly dodgy looking Tinson.

le bignose

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:30:35 PM »

I would start with Little and Senior up front. Shotton could probably do a good job in any position, but he is a defender and he is needed as cover for the increasingly dodgy looking Tinson.

finally someone else seeing it and im not going insane!! ;D.  Id agree we have shotts holding up the defense to start

Defo Little and Senior up front. Joe on the bench, and foryou Joe lovers, i say this cos for me the guy is a genuine threat coming off the bench. When starting i cant give any reason why he keeps his position and what he offers to the team. But hands up, off the bench he can change it for us.

So there's the o'neil threat from the bench, theres the option to push shotts forward. Hopefully both Stockport lads are ok, are they?? and we got a chance in my eyes!!

4 4 2 please Graham !! and the above!! i know thats my personal view so obviously not everyone will agree ..........

highwayman

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 02:37:01 PM »

I've posted my thoughts on here already after last Saturday's exhilarating second half turnaround and my initial thoughts for the "Must Win Game" Ebbsfleet were ALL OUT ATTACK from the off, take the initiative, get ahead and hope Ebbers don't have the stomach for a fight.

I thought we looked anxious and nervous in the first half last Saturday, especially when we went behind and things didn't go for us in front of goal. Once we got level, confidence flowed back into the team.

We had our slice of luck on Saturday with our first goal when Shotts went up for the ball with their goalie and the defender. The ref could easily have given a free kick against Shotts or the ball may not have fallen as conveniently for Shotts to hook in when he was on the ground (what amazing awareness, by the way!)

But on considerered reflection, I may be changing my mind.

Last Saturday was also a "MUST WIN GAME" and GH was bold enough to go with Plan A and then throw Shotts up when things weren't going our way.

So, maybe starting with Shotts at the back and seeing how it goes with the option for Plan B is how GH will go again on Saturday.

Oh I don't know. That's why GH manages and we fans pontificate.

As I said before...it's going to be interesting!

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »

The way the table looks I think a point on Saturday might prove vital, therefore I can't see Shotton starting anywhere but centre half.
Full time and proud of it

baldrick

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 05:39:50 PM »

A point won't be enough. Two wins are needed.

Lew Needham

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 10:53:47 AM »

Whatever he plays I just hope its attacking. 90% of times we go a goal behind then change to an attacking formation or mentality we score. Its not rocket science we are not the best at trying to contain a team as they always seem to break us down so lets take the game to them. Ebbsfleet are ood but we are so capable of beating them.

Senior & little's awareness is unbelievable the way they know where each other are without looking is class, they must start each game. Its not always formation regarding attacking its unleashing the shackles of midefileders to break forward and all our midfielders are capable of scoring.

O'Neill is a bench player I'm not sure why but when he starts he contributes nothing. I think that maybe he is easy to work out. So for like 10 minutes he is good but when a defender works him out he can't adapt- just a thought.

All i know is we must start with Little & Senior and the midfielders need to break forward more. Also Shotton would be great upfront but he gets tired really quick so can't play up there all game. Shotton as striker is defintiely a plan B!!

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 02:05:40 PM »

We started attacking against Halifax and loo where that got us, I think caution for the first half and a change just after half time if we are struggling.

Come on Alty
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team