PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Should we copy Southport
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should we copy Southport  (Read 6385 times)

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Should we copy Southport
« on: September 07, 2016, 11:08:22 PM »

I see on the website that Liam Watson has joined the Board at Southport as Operations Director, working with the manager in recruitment of players etc.

After everything that has been said over the last week or so, should we consider copying this and bring Graham Heathcote onto our Board in this role and enable Grahame Rowley to concentrate on the Community Sports Hall and that side of the club?

Obviously Jim Harvey would have to be happy with such an arrangement but I wonder if it would be a good idea in light of what's gone on over the last few weeks/months.

Thoughts?

Bath Alty

Re: Should we copy Southport
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 11:09:52 PM »

door stable bolted horse etc etc

taxi Phil

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 11:24:14 PM »

I don't think using Southport as a model for anything would make much sense.

bumble

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 11:38:18 PM »

I dont think its the worst idea.

Perhaps not a manager but someome whose been in the game a while with a remit to advise on football decisions.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 12:44:52 AM »

A fundamental weakness of Alty has always been not making enough room for those who have previously been involved with the club.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 07:06:09 AM »

Why would an experienced manager like Harvey need support and guidance from a director on footballing matters? Harvey will have his own assistant, coaches etc. to deal with that.

The operations director, director of football or whatever you call him would still have other directors and a chairman to report to and liaise with anyway.

More trouble than its worth in my view. 

roytonmike

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 07:28:48 AM »

In a word - no.

York Alty is back

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 07:43:33 AM »

Waters being muddied. No thanks.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 09:45:39 AM »

Why would an experienced manager like Harvey need support and guidance from a director on footballing matters? Harvey will have his own assistant, coaches etc. to deal with that.

The operations director, director of football or whatever you call him would still have other directors and a chairman to report to and liaise with anyway.

More trouble than its worth in my view. 

Agree, but what we do need is someone with a lot of footballing pedigree on the board who is not taking an interest in day to day matters but does take an interest in the bigger decisions, like if the manager needs to go, who to appoint, how many coaches we need etc, the footballing structure of the club, the budgets we set for first team, reserves, coaching staff, youth etc.

Today, from the outside looking in does anyone really look at the decisions we've made as a club in the last 12-18 months regarding footballing matters and think 'there's a club with a solid philosophy and a good idea of how to achieve success'? No way, we look like a clueless sugar daddy having a crack at running a football club except without the big bank account to mask all the amateurism.

Is it too much to ask to acknowledge weve made bad decisions and we want to find a way of avoiding repeats of it? You can't learn as you go along in football. It'll be too late before we've got a clue.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 11:39:29 AM »

We did this with Stan Allen many years ago.  It caused our manager to leave

roytonmike

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 11:49:46 AM »

We did this with Stan Allan many years ago.  It caused our manager to leave.
... and, if my memory serves, contributed to our relegation. The year was 1999, the month December, and the debacle followed almost immediately on a 6-1 League Cup win at Vics. Please let's keep the structure simple - too many cooks, etc.

Teasierbeaver

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 12:53:22 PM »

We've just been relegated and we're at the bottom of the league. We haven't won a game in 5 months.

I'm all for giving Jim Harvey time to bed in, he deserves it after all, given what he is walking into in terms of playing staff and morale.

However, if appointing the right manager 6-7 months too late is enough for us to think the board are back on the right track then i'm pretty certain we'll be disappointed again before too long.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 01:41:34 PM »

Steve Burr named as new southport gaffer

Frosty

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 04:00:55 PM »

Buuuuuuuuuur

Jimmy

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 04:16:08 PM »

We've just been relegated and we're at the bottom of the league. We haven't won a game in 5 months.

I'm all for giving Jim Harvey time to bed in, he deserves it after all, given what he is walking into in terms of playing staff and morale.

However, if appointing the right manager 6-7 months too late is enough for us to think the board are back on the right track then i'm pretty certain we'll be disappointed again before too long.
indeed we certainly need someone on the board who is more clued up about football
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Should we copy Southport