News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Poor, but won

Author Topic: Poor, but won  (Read 4128 times)

brian1925

Poor, but won
« on: September 07, 2013, 05:17:02 PM »

I don't want to knock 3 fabulous points, but i fear for us when we actually play a good team. We look lethargic and totally over reliant on a superb defence. Some pace needed urgently.
And 20 mins to get the car out of the car park with a gate of 800 ffs

thegazelle

Re: Poor, but won
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »

not complaining in the slightest we are top of the league after six games and the recurrent theme appears to be we played badly and yet we won . long may it continueand woh betide the team that meets us when we play well

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »

I was told the car park delay was to allow a clear run for the ambulance, although whether it had actually gone or not by game end I have no idea. Performance today was odd. Second half tactic seemed to be deliberately from letting Richman and Clee break forward. Unfortunately when the ball came up to Reeves and Perry there was no one breaking out of midfield for them to lay it back to. Rodgers seeme only capable of passing to opposing players. Good win, ugly win. I've seen every Alty game so far this season, including pre-season, and I've yet to see us look convincing. But hey, top of the league and unbeaten. Who am I to judge?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 08:23:58 PM »

As has been hinted at above, we'll have a better idea of our chances once we've met a few more teams from the top end of the table (and hopefully played poorly and beaten them!)  ::)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 09:04:34 PM »

As has been hinted at above, we'll have a better idea of our chances once we've met a few more teams from the top end of the table (and hopefully played poorly and beaten them!)  ::)
Another set of strugglers next week........but the visit to North Ferriby in a fortnight will show us our true worth.

markecky

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »

Today was a war, an absolute war and dogfight and we came through it and took the three points.

They were the biggest team I have seen in years and the tactic was clear, hammer the ball into our six yard box and gamble. 

We started well and played good football up until we lost Walshaw.  I like Kyle Perry but we don't need to start hitting more long balls when he comes on to him, we should keep playing our game, whip the ball in and let him win it in the danger area.  As soon as we started doing that then it was a real fight.  Two seasons ago we would have lost without question, last season we probably would have drawn and this season we have won it.

I really like Leamington and that tactic has clearly got the promoted but it doesn't make for a spectacle and we got drawn into it.  I've never seen a keeper who could kick it so far with such accuracy.

It was the longest match I have ever been to but three points is three points and they will beat teams there I am sure of it.

Leamington as a club was excellent.  The ground was small but all they need, great social, and all kept very tidy and smart.  Decent fans who had s sing and got behind there team.

Two downsides sadly, one absolute bellend of a car park steward who should realise he isn't a police traffic officer and learn some manners.  And one bloke shouting "Altrincham are sh*t" through a megaphone our of his car window was an odd end to the day.

However won't let them two tarnish their club.

That could be a massive three points at the end of the season even if I won't watch it again on DVD.

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 09:31:47 PM »

My first game of the season, up from the south coast and as others have said it was a poor game but a good 3 points. Back four were excellent - no idea how they didn't put away one of those goaline scrambles. Passing was poor by both teams.
I thought Alty were stating to get control after the goal but after Walshaw's injury we just couldn't seem to keep the ball for any length of time. I don't think Perry played badly but Walshaw seemed more willing to drop off and help the midfield.

I gave up on the car park and went into the bar until it had cleared.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »

I thought it was quite a reasonble and enjoyable game. I do however think we let them into the game and it would have been over had Reeves converted his one-on-one chance with their keeper in the first half. Our defence looked very good against a team that was very similar in style and physique to the Brackley side that bullied us out of a game only a few months ago. I agree that Walshaw gives us more and better attacking options, but defences at this level seem very uncomfortable handling Perry especially in the air. The biggest plus is that we are obtaining points in games that in the last two seasons we would have blown.

Hemel Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »

A great result considering and a cracking good London Alty day out.  Especially liked the bottles of Brake Fluid (Leamington FC's own brew) - is that something we could do?

bumble

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 10:54:13 AM »

A great result considering and a cracking good London Alty day out.  Especially liked the bottles of Brake Fluid (Leamington FC's own brew) - is that something we could do?

Id like to see an alty bottles beer being sold in the club and Costellos.

As for tbe game, not much to add without repeating whats already been said. I was adament that last minute save from Stu had gone in.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »

Indeed. Good beers and jukebox in the Woodside pre kick off and any club that lets you drink on the terraces gets my vote. Their ground a bit spartan but good clubhouse and the home fans seemed a good bunch. 3 points, clean sheet, job done. Hope Williams is ok, he was looking very solid. Think Lee will need to dip into the loan market.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »

much as I said we missed perry vs Histon.  We missed walshaw coming deep and setting up the play as he was for the first 30 mins
Bernard Taylors barmy army
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Poor, but won