PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Question for the more "mature" Alty Fan
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question for the more "mature" Alty Fan  (Read 4781 times)

bighairedmike

Re: Question for the more "mature" Alty Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 02:48:55 PM »

Do you still have the programme for it Daycare, i'd like to see that! ;D

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 04:55:21 PM »

I don't remember there being any wooden supports at the Chequers End so either my memory is failing me or they had disappeared by 1972/3 season which was my first in terms of going to every home game.I had been to Moss Lane on about 7 or 8 occasions between 1967 to 1972 but wasn't familiar enough with the ground to remember if there were wooden supports present during this time.One enduring memory is of sitting on the grass verge literally a few feet from the goal at the first match I attended against Ellesmere Port around 1967 (won 2-1....Swindells last minute winner.....a header from a corner).

Regards
Saga Alty

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 05:23:18 PM »

Quite a contrast to how we see it today...

Am sure Google's imaging has been updated, as i dont recall the ground ever being this clear...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&ll=53.383396,-2.335094&spn=0.001465,0.003616&t=k&z=18&om=0

Great little ground!

And if you scroll back this is what Moss Lane looks like to an alien from outer space.  ;D

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&ll=53.383396,-2.335094&spn=0.001465,0.003616&t=k&z=18&om=0

EDIT: D'OH! You know what I mean just scroll back.

Two other things that cacth my eye from the modern picture.

1. You can still clearly see the work done from the drainage the season before last and

2. Why don't we ever make any use of the bit at the top of the Chequers terrace near the popular side, this is visible as the green bit. I always think it would be a good place to have either a portacabin away bar / food hut or just simply toilets as opposed to the sad to say slightly unsatisfactory arrangement we have now. i.e. Portacabin toilets right next to a food van, nice  :-\

EDIT (AGAIN): Actually, it's quite easy to find the ground having done this, once you can identify 2 landmarks and surrounding settlements it can be done quite quickly.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 05:36:56 PM by Ballers »

Bear Town Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 08:57:34 PM »

you can also see how the hoardings down 3 sides of the ground are pretty straight...until you get to the Golf Rd end  ;D

Daycare Dan

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 10:20:46 AM »

only one though,

yeah daycare mabe on sunday you can recall to us the first time you saw the famous red and white stripes in 1903
  leave the old man alone! :(

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 03:34:03 PM »

I don't remember there being any wooden supports at the Chequers End so either my memory is failing me or they had disappeared by 1972/3 season which was my first in terms of going to every home game.I had been to Moss Lane on about 7 or 8 occasions between 1967 to 1972 but wasn't familiar enough with the ground to remember if there were wooden supports present during this time.One enduring memory is of sitting on the grass verge literally a few feet from the goal at the first match I attended against Ellesmere Port around 1967 (won 2-1....Swindells last minute winner.....a header from a corner).

Regards
Saga Alty

I definitely remember them being there in the CSC final second leg vs Witton (3-1 ... 3-2 on agg) because the red shale we used to stand on was washing away by that time and, as it had rained earlier in the day, each of the "stepped terraces" was filled with water in places!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Question for the more "mature" Alty Fan