News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Manchester 10K Run

Author Topic: Manchester 10K Run  (Read 1933 times)

Jenga

Manchester 10K Run
« on: February 25, 2013, 12:48:39 PM »

Dear All,

As many of you will know I am running the Manchester 10k on the 26th May 2013.

I was getting out of breath getting upstairs, eating three or four take-aways a week and have not done any exercise for almost 20 years. I have now been training almost 2 months, have not had one take-away and can now run for 22 minutes and cover about 4.25km per run – my knees seem to be saying otherwise though, and this already meant 2 sessions of physiotherapy to nurse my knee ligaments!

There is still a long way for me to go, but each week I am able to run further. Tonight’s run is for 25 minutes, with an additional 5 minutes walking either side of the run. Hopefully by the end of next week or the week after I will be able to run 5k. You will of course see my hobbling around the office for a while to come yet.

Now that I am confident of achieving my goal I have set up my “justgiving” webpage. If anyone would like to sponsor me I would be very grateful, even if it is just £1. Please visit my own just giving page at http://www.justgiving.com/John-Jenkins4 .

I have decided to run for St Ann’s Hospice who provide care for terminally ill people, their families and carers - http://www.sah.org.uk/

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:51:06 PM by Jenga »

thegazelle

Re: Manchester 10K Run
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »

as a morbidly obese individual i can only understand what you are going through . i got to the stage where i couldnt walk 50 yards but played golf in 90 degree heat yesterday admittedly with a buggy but only allowed on the outside of the course the way i play golf thats still a 4 or 5 miole walk . i am proud of myself for fighting back this far but truely admire your devotion to do this . Brilliant .

Hamilton

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »

Not really done the excercise bit, my work can be quite energetic, but a complete change of diet and I've lost 4 stone.

No choccy, sweets, cakes, biscuits.....

I MISS CHOCOLATE!

Baldrick

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:52:20 PM »

I considered doing something like this as a warm up to the London Marathon. But i was very surprised to see they charge an entry fee. As it is for charity i think it should be free to enter.

Jenga

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »

I considered doing something like this as a warm up to the London Marathon. But i was very surprised to see they charge an entry fee. As it is for charity i think it should be free to enter.

I am running for St Anns hospice so they do subsidise it a little for their runners.

Any sponsors would be truely gratefully received folks, even if just £1, the training is hard work but it worth it when you see the sponsor money coming in.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »

Ii will agree with Jenga on this

The sight of your sponsorship total rising even by a single pound makes alll the sore feet and chafing insignificant (well it helps)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Manchester 10K Run