PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ALTY APPOINT NEIL YOUNG
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: ALTY APPOINT NEIL YOUNG  (Read 38797 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: ALTY APPOINT NEIL YOUNG
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »

I can't help feeling that it was an error of judgment to include those paragraphs relating to the chairman's reported experience at Braintree within the press release that announced the appointment of Neil Young.

If the chairman wished to make an issue about any perceived incident(s) with some of the club's paying supporters, then I think it would have been more appropriate if he were to have submitted a separate statement for inclusion on the Altrincham FC website rather than shoehorn such comments into a piece which should have comprised nothing other than a entirely positive account of the advent of a new era for the club.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Sheffield_Alty

• Youth \ Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »

spot on^ - was no need.

Frosty

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2016, 04:10:45 PM »

I am glad the new man has been appointed swiftly, let's hope he can start to build a strong squad quickly and we hit the ground in conference north running

COME ON ALTY

GB Alty

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2016, 04:33:46 PM »

I can't help feeling that it was an error of judgment to include those paragraphs relating to the chairman's reported experience at Braintree within the press release that announced the appointment of Neil Young.

If the chairman wished to make an issue about any perceived incident(s) with some of the club's paying supporters, then I think it would have been more appropriate if he were to have submitted a separate statement for inclusion on the Altrincham FC website rather than shoehorn such comments into a piece which should have comprised nothing other than a entirely positive account of the advent of a new era for the club.

Another error of judgement? Will it ever end?

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2016, 04:55:54 PM »

I also thought this. What the appointment of a new manager has got to do with personal disagreements the chairman had with supporters on Saturday I don't understand. Two completely separate issues and to link the two in one official statement about our new boss is a poor show and reflects badly on the club. I also note from that statement the comments about Tolson getting unwarranted abuse, I heard the players get a fair bit too but ultimately the buck stops with the manager. Personally with no away league wins for nearly 6 months I think the management got off lightly compared to what they may have got elsewhere.

Anyway time to move on now and see what the new management team are about.

Jezza

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2016, 05:19:35 PM »

Sounds to me like John Edwards passed on a piece to John Laidlar in which he included a bit of personal chat with Grahame........

Could have been split into two separate articles but I think we'd be splitting hairs there....the official website is an appropriate forum for club officials to say how they feel surely?

Both sides need to move on now, everyone's vented their feelings....

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2016, 05:36:11 PM »

Sounds to me like John Edwards passed on a piece to John Laidlar in which he included a bit of personal chat with Grahame........

Could have been split into two separate articles but I think we'd be splitting hairs there....the official website is an appropriate forum for club officials to say how they feel surely?

Both sides need to move on now, everyone's vented their feelings....

If you read my original post, you will see that I don't dispute that.

But why include that entirely separate matter in a piece that is being so widely distributed?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:38:50 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Bath Alty

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2016, 05:47:15 PM »

...because he'd had a bad day (as had we all) and he wasn't able to review the press release with a completely dispassionate logical mind - not terribly surprising really.  If this was his only mistake I doubt it would have attracted comment.  No one's perfect and I doubt he has had extensive media training that would have helped him here (and I wouldn't want the club or GR to have to pay for that either) .

This was a crap season (barring Barnsley) but tomorrow is a new day, let's put the past behind, us accept the situation we are in and be grateful for the bits of that situation we like (we might win some games next year) and acknowledge we can't change the bits we don't like (2Q round of FA Cup) and move on together. 

Jezza

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2016, 06:48:08 PM »

Grahame didn't write that report.....John Edwards did and probably e-mailed it to John Laidlar who dutifully copied and pasted it.

Grahame probably asked to have the new manager announced and John added the interview/quotes with Neil Young and then added the personal comments from Grahame....bit of journalistic licence...

I'm guessing if a curt "Neil Young has been appointed, Neil Tolson has been relieved of his duties" message had appeared some would have complained about a lack of information!!....as happened when the curt "Altrincham fc have parted company with Lee Sinnott " piece appeared.....

I agree...it's two separate articles......I haven't fully checked the spelling yet  :) :)

Most important thing is the board have acted and bought in on the face of it a qualified manager.......and we have been informed.....as a bonus we get a supplementary piece about the chairman's feelings...the only downside being if that piece gets copied and pasted into the general media and we look a club in disarray with factions....which could have been picked up had it been a separate article under the headline "Club chairman hits back at fans"  :)

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2016, 08:53:56 PM »

Returning to the original thread, one thing I'd forgotten about Neil Young from the County forum is that he seems to have good contacts with Everton. He had a number of young players on loan from them and a couple of them early in the season were very highly rated on the forum. Wouldn't say no to a couple or so of their released youngsters, we didn't do too bad with our last one, Dens.

John Edwards

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2016, 10:10:05 PM »

Er, how was it an error of judgement? The chairman wanted his say on events at Braintree. That was entirely understandable, but I argued the headline for any piece should be the appointment of a new manager. A positive piece, and the one item of news every supporter wanted to hear about. He agreed with that, and, accordingly, Neil Young's quotes formed the main thrust of the article. Are you seriously suggesting it was wrong to then add the chairman's observations about Braintree on the end? Why? It all related to why Neil Tolson didn't get the job and why Neil Young did. At least, it was all part of the same subject. Don't forget, Grahame said, amidst it all, he fronted up Tols and Matt Doughty and told them they hadn't got the job. That's all part of the story. And let's not have any of this nonsense about anything negative in the main article being picked up by the media. It would have been picked up anyway. I know for a fact the Manchester Evening News monitor our website. It's in the public domain. If anything, a separate piece, with a headline along the lines of chairman having a go at fans, would have had an even greater chance of making it into the papers. The general response to the piece on the website yesterday was gratifyingly positive. What a shame then that you saw fit to pick fault with it. Even worse, you've provided ammunition for the usual suspects to come out with tiresomely predictable stuff like 'another error of judgement' etc, etc. There are times when I despair, and this is one of them.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2016, 10:34:10 PM »

Please dont despair John, the vast majority of Alty fans greatly appreciate the work you and many other genuine club volunteers do.
You always get a few rotten apples in every barrel and some of them post their tripe on here,... and when times get tough it often brings out the worst in some people.

And you know who you are.

bighairedmike

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2016, 10:39:22 PM »

Please dont despair John, the vast majority of Alty fans greatly appreciate the work you and many other genuine club volunteers do.
You always get a few rotten apples in every barrel and some of them post their tripe on here,... and when times get tough it often brings out the worst in some people.

Sorry, I can't hear you from way up there on that high horse.

VofD

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2016, 10:51:35 PM »

YOU SANCTIMONIOUS GIT

The person you are slagging off, as you well know, is the person who regularly writes articles for the Alty programme. ::)

taxi Phil

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2016, 10:54:02 PM »

Sorry, I can't hear you from way up there on that high horse.

Neigh lad.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 ALTY APPOINT NEIL YOUNG