News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Joe O'Neill Playing as a lone striker

Author Topic: Joe O'Neill Playing as a lone striker  (Read 2333 times)

Alty365

« on: September 18, 2007, 10:45:59 PM »

Just about sums up the way things have been of late. Absolutely and utterly unbelievable.

If we don't get three points on Saturday something MUST change. No if's and no but's, the time for being patient is over. Either produce the goods or hand over the baton to someone who can. Excuses about a lack of finance and part time status cannot mask over the mistakes which are now being made game after game. Try telling Farsley and Histon that part time status restricts you to the bottom four!

We have 36 games in which to turn things around and there is no time to waste. Sentiment must not be allowed to compromise our position any further - no individual is bigger than the club and in the coming days all at the club would do well to remember that fact. If the board of this football club has the stomach for a relegation fight they may well have some difficult decisions ahead of them. For the sake of all the people who forked out for season tickets and all the fans who pay their money week in, week out, I hope that they will make the right choice, whatever that shall be.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:09:10 PM by Alty365 »

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Joe O'Neill Playing as a lone striker
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 06:22:24 AM »

I think GH has now got into a habit of playing 1 up front,what with suspentions and injuries i think it forced his hand a bit.Yes i can understand playing that way away from home against the stronger teams,but at home we need to give it a go.
Harold

Jenga

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 08:51:30 AM »

So why do people slag Joe off when it is the formation that is WRONG.

Joe cant be expected to work wonders on his own up front against 4 defenders.

It is not Joe's fault but the formations fault.

Whilst you guys might go and watch football do you actually understand it?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 08:57:22 AM by Jenga »

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:04:11 AM »

Jenga,
I am 55 this week and have watch Alty since i was 10,ok living where i do i dont see Alty that much these days,but i do see them and I do understand.I for one am not Knocking Joe or anyone for that matter and would not start to do so.I would hate to see Graham leave and while people are saying he should go i am not one of them.Calling players and the management is all part and parcel of the game and always will be.I know my father has really given the Alty  players so much stick in the past for not performing(not the current team) that the Alty fans have had a go at him telling him to leave the players alone.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:09:39 AM by hsmith1 »
Harold

Alty365

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 09:05:35 AM »

So why do people slag Joe off when it is the formation that is WRONG.

Joe cant be expected to work wonders on his own up front against 4 defenders.

It is not Joe's fault but the formations fault.

Whilst you guys might go and watch football do you actually understand it?

Did I blame Joe? Please don't question my understanding of the game as I understand it perfectly well.

Joe, as we've seen mentioned on here countless times, is not a striker (lone or otherwise) but a forward who links up with the striker(s). Playing him as a lone striker was an appalling decision as I pointed out above. I never once said it was Joe's fault.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:09:44 AM by Alty365 »

andyc

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 09:29:15 AM »

Its simple, O'Neill is not a goalscorer. On Saturday Logan should rip Droylsdens full back apart and create crosses and opportunities in the box for the forwards. This needs to be TWO forwards, Little & Senior. If Potts is fit he needs to play from the start to supply from the right, if not fit someone else but NOT LAWTON. Droylsden are worse than us and without this attacking formation to start with a defeat or draw will be down to the tactics and nothing else. WE WANT TO SEE SOMETHING POSITIVE FROM 3PM SATURDAY, NOT 4.15!!

Jenga

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 11:17:29 AM »

In my post I did not say either of you slagged off Joe.

"I said so why do people slag off joe"

I support your posts, both of you, I just asked the question in view of your comments why do people slag him off.

Crossed purposes here I think  ;D

Alty365

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:20:05 AM »

It would appear so.   :)

I have to say I feel a lot of sympathy for Joe. To ask him to play as a lone striker is just one of the weirdest team selections I think I've ever seen.

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 11:24:57 AM »

Totally agree.

harv

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 11:49:05 AM »

as someone who ridiculed Joe o neil last night (not proud of but was extremly frustrated

All i can say is that he is clearly not up to this standard and does not seem to give us anything extra apart from a horendous touch.
He does get us however throwins and corners for his effort, but i cannot see how someone that can't score and someone who cant interact in a move forward why he plays.
We need to be running at any team with the pace of senior and the skill of little so why do we never start with them?
why are we playing a formation when no-one seems to know who is playing where in the 5 man midfield, why not keep it simple and have 4 4 2 where everyone knows where there playing and keep lawton away from thye wing.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team