PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The future of this forum
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The future of this forum  (Read 18744 times)

bighairedmike

Re: The future of this forum
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »

I don't understand the aversion to Facebook to be honest.

It's just a website. You put as little information about yourself as you want (as on here) but you use your real name, and a real photograph. You don't have to add anyone as a friend if you don't wish, you can use it solely as an Altrincham forum.  

A lot of Altrincham fans I have encountered that aren't in my group of friends always say it's nice to put a face to a forum name.

The forum has just descended into nastiness over the past 18 months and it isn't enjoyable anymore.

A move to a Facebook forum seems sensible to me, especially as there aren't many people willing to contribute financially to the upkeep of a forum or have the time to moderate it.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 01:25:47 PM »

I don't understand the aversion to Facebook to be honest.

It's just a website. You put as little information about yourself as you want (as on here) but you use your real name, and a real photograph. You don't have to add anyone as a friend if you don't wish, you can use it solely as an Altrincham forum.  

A lot of Altrincham fans I have encountered that aren't in my group of friends always say it's nice to put a face to a forum name.

The forum has just descended into nastiness over the past 18 months and it isn't enjoyable anymore.

A move to a Facebook forum seems sensible to me, especially as there aren't many people willing to contribute financially to the upkeep of a forum or have the time to moderate it.

Just to point out you do not need to use a photograph of yourself on Facebook (I never do). Also you do not have to use your real name to create an account. So the argument for using Facebook to force real names and identities is a non-starter.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »

I have no problems to keep paying for the forum.

My issue is I will not if it's hurting the club or tearing the fan base apart

This was created as a positive place and it seems that it's anything but that now.

I am all for freedom of speech but not for personal abuse that can only harm relationships within the club.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 01:36:10 PM »

This was created as a positive place and it seems that it's anything but that now.

I am all for freedom of speech but not for personal abuse that can only harm relationships within the club.

Well said Gary and many thanks for paying for the forum. Even though you find it difficult to attend games anymore like many old faces it's nice to know that you're still 'Alty'.

mortlakebob

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »

Well said Garry.
Personal abuse of the chairman on this site just hasn't been acceptable in the view of many of us. Plus some terrible stick given out to very young players after very little playing time. All for a platform for constructive debate, and that has definitely been needed over last 2 weeks! But slaughtering players who are 22 and younger which one or two have done on here is really poor form. For the record two 19 year olds Jon Moran and Sam Heathcote were superb yesterday.

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 01:57:56 PM »

The best post on here for a year or so. Well said Gary.

Its the constant negativity of some posters thats eroding this forum and why so many have stopped using it.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 03:00:10 PM »

If someone who works in IT is good enough to offer to keep it going than that has to be the answer

GB Alty

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »

who has complained Gary? The club, not much free speech about these days - thats whats damaging the club

You may as well shut this forum down, I know many who can't be bothered posting now

andrewflynn

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 05:18:59 PM »

who has complained Gary? The club, not much free speech about these days - thats whats damaging the club

You may as well shut this forum down, I know many who can't be bothered posting now

I also know many who can't be bothered posting, but that's because this forum is just full of old blokes moaning amongst themselves or about daft things like the club denying fans their freedom of speech.

The place is a ghost town when we're doing well. Positive, constructive ideas and threads get shot down, ignored or half heartedly read.

Only like three of our group post on here. Says a lot considering there's over a dozen us, who for the most part go home and away. Most of them read it but can't be arsed and its completely understandable to be honest.

Again, a Facebook group is the way forward should the forum meet its end. Its a way of engaging with the younger fans who will never post on here. They all live their lives through social media.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 05:34:33 PM »

I also know many who can't be bothered posting, but that's because this forum is just full of old blokes moaning amongst themselves or about daft things like the club denying fans their freedom of speech.

The place is a ghost town when we're doing well. Positive, constructive ideas and threads get shot down, ignored or half heartedly read.

Only like three of our group post on here. Says a lot considering there's over a dozen us, who for the most part go home and away. Most of them read it but can't be arsed and its completely understandable to be honest.

Again, a Facebook group is the way forward should the forum meet its end. Its a way of engaging with the younger fans who will never post on here. They all live their lives through social media.

No it's no about freedom of speech being revoked it's about respecting other users. It's not the club as this has nothing to do with it directly.

It's users who have reported links, which I get emailed on. This to me is worrying.

The forum is mainly run by users for users & I will be ruthless with banning people if it's at the request of the majority. (Something we rare,t do)

Let's all just have a think about others before posting

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 05:48:43 PM »

Serious question:

Apart from the cost implications of keeping the forum going (thank you Gary, didn't even realise you were still paying for this), what makes people think Facebook would be any different? You would have to set it up as a group that would still require moderation and is still open to people exhibiting the same posting behaviour they do on here. Also nothing stopping people from setting up anonymous Facebook accounts and joining the group.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 05:56:37 PM »

It would be a shame as I remember when this forum was used by about 5 people when first started in its original beginnings and it grew to this.

Reading through some of the posts it's embarrassing & surprised there is not fighting in the ground between everyone.

The only word needed is RESPECT. Have an opinion without personal abuse.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 06:04:02 PM »

It would be a shame as I remember when this forum was used by about 5 people when first started in its original beginnings and it grew to this.

Reading through some of the posts it's embarrassing & surprised there is not fighting in the ground between everyone.

The only word needed is RESPECT. Have an opinion without personal abuse.

All very true and I have been here from very early days. I can see how it would seem simpler to shut it all down and many have stopped posting for the reasons mentioned above. However, I don't see how a Facebook group would be any different. The truth is that on most large Facebook groups the moderators do not know many of the members and as such can be completely impartial in their actions (whether that be warnings, banning, etc).

Some of what has been posted on here would have resulted in bans on most Facebook groups as personal abuse is not tolerated (or indeed potentially libellous statements).

ToffeeBlue

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 06:10:25 PM »

As a rule of thumb, if you wouldn't express opinions to a person's face, don't hide on here and do it.  The Sale Sharks' fans went through such a bad spell about four years ago that it was commonly known as the 'negativity' board.  Common sense eventually ruled the day when the moderators took a couple of chaps to task.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 06:39:21 PM »

I'd happily run the forum, and I think there is life in the old dog yet, just think that some posts / posters should be deleted if they keep making a mockery of the site.  Also think a like button to like comments (not a Goodwin score) would make sense.
Gaz drop me a line if you'd like to,
Toffee Apple (Simon Ellis to those who don't like usernames)
Bernard Taylors barmy army
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The future of this forum