News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Who REALLY won the War ?

Author Topic: Who REALLY won the War ?  (Read 1294 times)

taxi Phil

Who REALLY won the War ?
« on: April 13, 2013, 09:28:57 AM »

A favourite comment of my late father whenever he considered Germany's burgeoning economy in 80's.

So how many of you realise that Wigan Athletic are only a Premier League club today because we dumped them out of the FA Cup 18 years ago ?

The following is extracted from an excellent interview with Graham Barrow in today's Times.
"Barrow's personal comeback was replicated by the club itself in 1994/5 as his appointment as manager sparked a remarkable revival that led to Wigan finishing in mid table in the third division, having been without a point before his arrival. That escape laid the platform for everything that followed.

"I know quite a bit about the Conference, and had we gone down I'm not sure we'd have come back. It was the poorest squad of players I'd seen in a long time. The club allowed me to add four or five new faces, but THOSE players would not have played Conference football if we went down.....they'd have moved on to League clubs. There wasn't the finance here for us to bounce back."

It was during that campaign that Dave Whelan bought the club for £400,000 - ironically after an FA Cup defeat by Altrincham that Barrow believes changed history.

"Had we won that day, we would have been away to Spurs in the next round. The money THAT would have made for the club would probably have meant that the sale to Dave Whelan wouldn't have happened."

The rest, as they say, is history..........

Hamilton

Re: Who REALLY won the War ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »

Great stuff!

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »

Miserable stuff
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

York Alty

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 07:37:30 PM »

and to make it worse northwich vics got a mention on  5live 909 after the cup semi.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Who REALLY won the War ?