PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Positives from tonight's news
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Positives from tonight's news  (Read 3667 times)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:40:41 PM »

We have provisionally retained the following players:

Stuart Coburn
James Smith
Greg Young
Shaun Densmore
Ryan Brown
Matt Doughty (inj)
Tom Kearney (inj)
Rob Williams
Chris Denham
Chris Senior
Nicky Clee
Anthony Danylyk
Robbie Lawton
Dale Johnson (recovering)
Russell Saunders

Apologies for any omissions. However, I believe we have the core of a decent Conference side there already. A fully fit Dale Johnson and Chris Senior will be a dangerous attacking partnership and if we can add one or two quality signings we are capable of holding our own again.

It's not all doom and gloom.
Come on Alty!

taxi Phil

Re: Positives from tonight's news
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »

I thought Ryan Brown was only on loan ?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:12:59 PM »

I thought Ryan Brown was only on loan ?

Yes, I think you're right. However, I reckon he's definitely worth another look and wouldn't be surprised if he's still here for pre-season.
Come on Alty!

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:23:05 PM »

Brown will almost certainly be here you would think. The fact we don't have a natural left back for the first couple of months (possibly longer,as Matty will not be 100% match fit in October I suspect), and only had 1 dreadful performance for us I would say, at Salisbury. A very solid player.

A very good retained list. It really showed in the last month of the season how much we missed Kearney,and a good start to the season again would build the foundations of a solid season again. So I hope GH and KMc can unearth another midfield gem, though seems may have to look at BSN/Unibond/Welsh League
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

bighairedmike

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 03:58:24 AM »

Brown will almost certainly be here you would think. The fact we don't have a natural left back for the first couple of months (possibly longer,as Matty will not be 100% match fit in October I suspect), and only had 1 dreadful performance for us I would say, at Salisbury. A very solid player.

A very good retained list. It really showed in the last month of the season how much we missed Kearney,and a good start to the season again would build the foundations of a solid season again. So I hope GH and KMc can unearth another midfield gem, though seems may have to look at BSN/Unibond/Welsh League

Geoff Kelloway, Aberystwyth Town. I don't doubt Cymru Alty will not disagree with me.  :)

EDIT: Just realised there a far too many double negatives in taht sentence for my liking...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:30:59 PM by Aberystwyth Alty »

Alex

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 05:46:02 AM »

Kellaway 4 Alty !!!

markecky

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:22:37 AM »

So is that our way of announcing we have managed to keep hold of Youngy and Smithy for next season? What about:

"Robins Delight as Star Men Commit Future"

"Greg Young and James Smith have given Altrincham a huge boost by agreeing to stay with the Robins next season.  Despite interest and offers from other clubs for the pair, who have been solid in defence all season, will stay with Altrincham as they look to improve on last seasons fourteenth finish.  Young England C right back Shaun Densmore has also agreed to stay...etc etc etc"

We do ourselves no favours at all.

fuertes

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »

So is that our way of announcing we have managed to keep hold of Youngy and Smithy for next season? What about:

"Robins Delight as Star Men Commit Future"

"Greg Young and James Smith have given Altrincham a huge boost by agreeing to stay with the Robins next season.  Despite interest and offers from other clubs for the pair, who have been solid in defence all season, will stay with Altrincham as they look to improve on last seasons fourteenth finish.  Young England C right back Shaun Densmore has also agreed to stay...etc etc etc"

We do ourselves no favours at all.

I know what you're saying, but I don't think it's anything to get your knickers in a twist about. The bottom line is that Alty fans (in the main) aren't stupid. It doesn't matter what slant the club puts on this news, we can all cut through the bullsh*t and realise that three have left, two squad players who were well short of fitness and one lad who joined us who played regularly at a stage where we barely won a game, and that our best performers are all still with us.

I trust Graham and Kenny to bring in three players who as a whole will be better for the squad than the three who've left. I'm still optimistic of repeating this year's league performance, but with a bit of a Cup/Trophy run thrown in to generate some cash.

Just out of interest, am I right in thinking that we're budgeting for no TV deal, but that there's still a chance of us getting one? If so that'll be an additional few grand to give us a boost...

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 08:58:16 AM »

I know what you're saying, but I don't think it's anything to get your knickers in a twist about. The bottom line is that Alty fans (in the main) aren't stupid.

The bottom line is that Alty fans already here aren't stupid. If we don't at least try and impress the people that aren't here then we'll just end up with the Alty fans we've currently got, which whilst great isn't enough to grow the club in the long term.

That said, we can't really announce anything as the 'retained' players haven'y actually signed new deals. The actual phrase used is that the players had all indicated that they would remain at Moss Lane - which whilst being a yes isn't concrete enough for press statements etc, indicating you want to say is like saying 'yeah I'm happy here and as far as things go I'd stay, I'm not planning on going to play in Australia or owt and I'm not pushing for a move anywhere' - but who knows, the players may recieve fantastic offers from somewhere that they would need to assess (I think Fleetwood paid £17,000 for that slimline McNulty fella, so God knows what his signing on fee, wages etc were. If that happened even the most loyal player would owe it to himself and his family to look carefully at it).

Jezza

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:19:25 AM »

I think the club are sensibly avoiding looking stupid by making a big announcement about our best players staying now and then having to annouce their departure to Fleetwood sometime over the summer....hence the words provisionally agreed to stay.

But hopefully the club will do themselves lots of favours and sell themselves properly as Ecky equally sensibly wishes them to do when the time is right.....it's always a waiting game with Alty.

Have to say if we could be more positive and send out a good message about players staying it would be extra incentive for incoming players to have a look at Alty? and also serve as a hands off warning to clubs wanting to poach our talented bunch.

JonnyKeen

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »

Right look at it this way. Who would you rather have? Peyton, Lane and O'Neil or Crowell, Clee and Williams. (Yes I know Crowell didn't stay but you can see the point I'm making.)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 02:11:05 PM »

Right look at it this way. Who would you rather have? Peyton, Lane and O'Neil or Crowell, Clee and Williams. (Yes I know Crowell didn't stay but you can see the point I'm making.)

I'd rather have Crowell, Clee and Williams as they're better which I presume is your point. But I'm not sure exactly what it's got to do with this news and the debate on this thread?

Jezza

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »

i don't understand the point you are making either....we all agree it's good news that the majority of the squad have indicated they want to stay......and we all agree these are better players than we've had for a few years.......

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 02:35:52 PM »

We have provisionally retained the following players:

Stuart Coburn
James Smith
Greg Young
Shaun Densmore
Ryan Brown
Matt Doughty (inj)
Tom Kearney (inj)
Rob Williams
Chris Denham
Chris Senior
Nicky Clee
Anthony Danylyk
Robbie Lawton
Dale Johnson (recovering)
Russell Saunders

Apologies for any omissions.

I'd presume that we can also add Adam Carden to this list?

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 03:11:28 PM »

I'd presume that we can also add Adam Carden to this list?

Certainly hope so!
Come on Alty!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team