PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Midfield
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Midfield  (Read 4139 times)

Stan Hibbert

Midfield
« on: July 26, 2009, 04:03:54 PM »

We've got ourselves a good midfiled and unfortunately for Robbie Lawton it's better with him not in it. Bet GH doesn't drop him though............ :'(

Stan Hibbert

Re: Midfield
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:07:16 PM »

Apologies, I didn't realise that this had been discussed in an earlier post. It's good however to see that a few of you agree.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »

We've got ourselves a good midfiled and unfortunately for Robbie Lawton it's better with him not in it. Bet GH doesn't drop him though............ :'(

hes going to be the peyton , oneill , aspinall of the coming season

The Red Baron

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 05:04:22 PM »

Let's not be too harsh on Robbie Lawton - a player who gives his all, and has been a good captain.

It is a positive development that he now has decent competition for his place in midfield.

Let him fight for his place and if he's not good enough then fair enough, but for me it's hard to say whether the new players are better or not before the season has actually begun.

fuertes

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 05:45:49 PM »

The early signs are that he is not worth a place in the starting XI when everyone is fit. He is, however, a very decent back-up at Conference level. Perhaps letting him retain the captaincy and making Youngy Vice Captain is fair. When Robbie doesn't start, the captaincy goes to Greg as a matter of course. Seems logical enough.

By the way, has Kevin Street left the club?

Longman

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 06:02:36 PM »

The early signs are that he is not worth a place in the starting XI when everyone is fit. He is, however, a very decent back-up at Conference level. Perhaps letting him retain the captaincy and making Youngy Vice Captain is fair. When Robbie doesn't start, the captaincy goes to Greg as a matter of course. Seems logical enough.

I think so, can't remember where he has gone though!?

Nonleaguer

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 06:38:13 PM »

He is currently supporting Peter Hall at Nantwich Town and they are amongst the expected applicants for the post vacated by Steve Davis who went to Crewe Alex recently. The fans seem to be quite happy about a Hall / Street management duo but other applicants include Dean Glover (former Port Vale manager) and Dave Brammer (ex Crewe, Stoke , Port Vale).

RocketDan

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 08:35:28 PM »

I think so, can't remember where he has gone though!?

he's gone to Jesus.

Jenga

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 10:26:36 PM »

Robbie has been very important for us and this season will remain important, but the difference this year is he has competition which is good for the team.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 10:31:37 PM »

Robbie Lawton is worth his place in the side as a central midfielder, he was very influential for us last season and was our only player who could mix it physically. His contribution, although not his effort, is somewhat diminished when played out on the right wing though.

The Red Baron

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »

Agreed. He should play in central midfield or arguably not at all. Has he been played on the right in the pre-season games so far?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 06:13:47 PM »

Robbie Lawton is worth his place in the side as a central midfielder, he was very influential for us last season and was our only player who could mix it physically. His contribution, although not his effort, is somewhat diminished when played out on the right wing though.

Ballers,

Lawton really does need to cut out all those unnecessary yellow cards though.

Wasn't it a ridiculous final tally of 10 bookings last season?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

joe

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 06:14:26 PM »

Agreed. He should play in central midfield or arguably not at all. Has he been played on the right in the pre-season games so far?

I have been to all the pre season games except Abbey Hey and he has played on the right in all of them except Colwyn Bay in which he didn't feature.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 07:01:10 PM »

personally i would play smith at right back at densmore right midfield

Lew Needham

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 07:17:15 PM »

personally i would play smith at right back at densmore right midfield

Spot on. I know Heathcote likes his wide men to provide some cover so this has to be the best option.

I have to agree with the majority and say that from what i saw on saturday Lawton should not get in that team especially if he plays on the right.

The only thing i'll say in Lawtons favour though is that there was a couple of times in the second half that they managed to get the ball from their defence through to our penalty area without a challenge in midefield. However, hopefully if Crowell and Kearney get a good understanding and one will sit whilst the other goes forward.It was just nice to see some short passes and 1 2's in the middle of the park.

Also Denham and Senior are great outlets for this team as they stretch the oppositions defence and this is something that we have missed for a few seasons now.

Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Midfield