News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Captain's Log

Author Topic: Captain's Log  (Read 1727 times)

Dougals Dad

Captain's Log
« on: October 03, 2010, 01:18:26 PM »

Robbie Lawton's "Captain's Log" again makes interesting reading...  QUALITY ARTICLE INDEED!
"They say a week is a long time in politics, but it clearly applies to football, as well, after the way things have turned round for us over the past seven days or so.

The breakthrough win against Barrow last week had to be followed up with more of the same - or similar, at least - if it was to mean anything. We had to perform at the same level against Grimsby and Kettering, and also pick up points, if possible, and I'm delighted we managed both.

A lot of things have changed during the course of those three games, and the most noticeable is probably the level of belief running through the camp.

That was never more evident than when we went behind late on against Grimsby, here at Moss Lane last Saturday, and on no fewer than three occasions at Kettering on Tuesday night. Unlike the previous seven or eight games, there was no sign of any shoulders dropping, no body language that suggested we had given up and were resigned to our fate.

Losing had become a habit, a bad one, at that. There was almost an expectation that we were in for a difficult 90 minutes every time we stepped on the pitch, but that has gone now.

It's just a far better place to be, and while we can't lose sight of the fact that we are still bottom of the table, there is renewed hope that we can get ourselves out of it and safeguard our position in the Blue Square Bet Premier. It would have been totally unjust if we had ended up empty-handed against Grimsby, because we gave them a hard time for long periods, even if their manager chose not to see it that way.

Even when we went behind to a great strike, there was still a feeling among the lads that we could get something out of it, and the same applied at Kettering. Ken McKenna described Kettering as one of the best attacking sides he had seen this season, and it was another top-class finish that gave them a flying start.

We do seem to have had some quality goals put past us lately, but I think all our fans can see the one vital difference now. We may be conceding, but we are responding positively and always looking like we are going to score ourselves. So it proved, and it is highly encouraging the way Chris Denham has pulled out a bit of form, Shaun Densmore has chipped in with a couple of goals and Damian Reeves struck with a great header down at Kettering.

The way Kettering gambled by throwing men forward left them exposed at the back, and we caught them out once or twice to equalise three times and almost pinch a win at the end. Rockingham Road, as it always used to be known, has never been a particularly happy hunting ground for me, so it felt good to come away with a point.

I've been told that I've been referred to as Robinho Lawton in a post on the Fans' Forum, following the build-up to our last-minute leveller against Grimsby. All I can say to that is 'no comment', but I did think it was fantastic the way James Smith burst forward and crossed for Densy to head home. The three of us share transport, so that was a decent contribution from our car!

One thing I can confirm is that it was me in the background when Steven Gerrard was filmed visiting my school to promote an Adidas scheme for encouraging young people to become more active. Times like that are when you realise the difference in terms of media attention between the Conference and Premier League. He had press and television interviews to do and was followed everywhere by big burly security men.

I have met Stevie before, and I managed to have a word with him. He just said: 'Are you still kicking a ball about?' So I said: 'Yeah, sort of!'

We're all kicking a ball about with more of a smile on our faces now, and there is a strong feeling that Kenny has done enough to get the nod over the manager's job and be given the chance to get stuck into it and really do it his way. He has made a big difference, ably assisted by Stuart Bimson. Like Kenny, Bimmo is a very positive, highly motivated character, with an enthusiasm that rubs off on the players. One other thing I would say about Bimmo is that he ought to have a swear box next to him. We could take a couple of fines off him, no problem. In fact, if the club are looking for new investment, that could be the answer - he'd fill a swear box in no time!

Robbie".

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
Re: Captain's Log
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 01:23:19 PM »

Always is a good read. Always await it to be put on John's excellent official site.

Always honest and insightful from the captain.

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 01:49:02 PM »

what realy comes across is that the players share the fans belief and enjoyment in their football again...long may it continue....an excellent and articulate read......and Robbie is really beginning to shine as a driving captain both on and off the pitch.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 02:20:27 PM »

Easilythe best read in our programme and one of the first pages I turn to.

It is just something that Robbie considers an important part of his role, as captain of the finest semi pro nonleague side in the country.

Robbie always says what we wish to hear from players and this is a vatal two way thing.

An eye opener and shows how much the players do care, keep up the great work, Robbie and the lads.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 04:35:42 PM »

What was Marc Joseph doing with his head down the toilet?

He was looking for the captain's log!

I'll get my coat!

taxi Phil

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 07:19:25 PM »

Should have kept his head down the fkn toilet. And stayed in the dressing room at half time.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Captain's Log