https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 crowds
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: crowds  (Read 4213 times)

thegazelle

crowds
« on: June 23, 2007, 09:02:34 AM »

The nostalgia bit below reminded me of how it used to be with crowds and how we lied about the attendance (think we might have done this topic before).

When we played grays in the trophy (promo year) the crowd was given as 1300 and i was amazed as when we was good we only got 1700/2000 and the ground was packed. i wonder what some of those crowds really were. particularly recall a matlock trophy replay in about 78 it may have been the year we got to wembley the golf road was solid and the crowd was given as 2,500 it must have been 5 plus. the winsford QF ??? (top right keeper he'll put it top right keeper told you he would 3 niland much hilarity) was given as 4000 i think and i felt there was more at the matlock game

southport in the FA Cup was another one prob 4000+pop side and golf road packed

any one else recall spurious attendance figures

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: crowds
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 09:10:36 AM »

Barnet.

3,000 there. Course there was.  :-X

thegazelle

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 09:23:32 AM »

nearly got locked out on that one i had to tell lies and blagged my way in through the players entrance cant imagine how i would have felt if i had missed it what a performance that was

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 11:12:14 AM »

I thought there were more at the Sheff Utd game (Att 5500) than there were at the orient match (Att 8892).

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 11:15:39 AM »

I love that. 8892 in Moss Lane. My young mind  :D boggles.

thegazelle

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 01:25:28 PM »

probably a dodgy 8892 at that The chequers end was packed that day but i think we could still have got plenty more in

sheff utd was a great night the sheer joy at what was probably my favourite alty goal , heathcotes third.has been unsurpassedBarry Howard skinned Stuart houston all night long

York Alty

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »

Orient was ace.

We're not the only club to make up crowds.

Have a look at Leigh RMI.  The number of times they have got 201 or 251 over the past couple of years is untrue.  They were probably boosting their figuers anyay...

The Chester cup game (Freeman Freeman Freeman) had a good gate too.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 02:55:12 PM »

southport fiddle their numbers so they don't have to pay the caterers FACT

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 05:42:10 PM »

I remember that Matlock game too, it was really hyped as well, Piccadilly Radio did pre match, easily well over the 2500 given. Same Trophy season, the replay v Weymouth, QF I reckon, again 2500. I think both gates around 1,000 or so light.

Who remembers the last NPL season before the Alliance, every week it was "todays gate is 1058, thanks for your support"?

I think the Orient crowd may be realistic, but as said Sheff Utd, also Sc**thorpe I think were understated.

Also Trophy semis v Scarborough and Runcorn..........mind you how many of the 800 or so Boro fans paid that day!?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

York Alty

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 05:45:06 PM »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 06:32:17 PM »

Flixton have a l;ot of games where the attendances are a round number like 50 or more often 40. Go check Tony Kempsters site.

Incidentally this has me thinking. All I know about our record crowd is that it's something like 10,025 for Altrincham Boys v Sunderland Boys in a bygone age. Now to me that's a) not Alty and b) That's all that's ever quoted.

So, I put it to you our dear Alty historians. The top ten attendances for Alty 'home' matches. What are they?

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 08:09:27 PM »

they always used to quote biggest home gate as 35,xxx home Everton - but of course that wasn't moss lane.

I well remember 77-78, SW, and sometimes I'm sure they inflated gates because we had 1002, 1004, 1007, 1009 against the likes of Gt Harwood and netherfield when the ground looked empty!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 10:03:14 PM »

So, I put it to you our dear Alty historians. The top ten attendances for Alty 'home' matches. What are they?

Has anyone got accurate attendance figures for the 1965/66 and 1966/67 seasons?

I'm sure there were some stunning attendances in those days (relative to today's standards), particularly when Macclesfield or Wigan Athletic were the visitors.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 04:38:34 AM »

My first full season was 70-71, crowds were not published then but with a view after many years I would say a normal gate then was in the regon of 1500. I have a small collection of old programmes from the 60's on and it seems that up to 69-70 gates of 5,000 were not unusual. So, where did they all go and why?
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Jezza

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 10:31:47 AM »

The Gazelle wrote
nearly got locked out on that one i had to tell lies and blagged my way in through the players entrance cant imagine how i would have felt if i had missed it what a performance that was

What a performance indeed!...I've now got this image of the gazelle in his usual match attire, shirt buttons straining, slightly red face and glazed eyes convincing someone he's a player.....well they did make 'em big and tough in them days didn't they?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 crowds