PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Shrewsbury post match thoughts
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Shrewsbury post match thoughts  (Read 10702 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 01, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »

Thought we gave a decent Shrewsbury side a good game, they took advantage of us making six changes to score the winner within a minute of the mass change. Draw would probably have been about right. We look fit and ready to go and capable to ask questions of aldershot Lincoln and Bristol rovers next week. As for Shrewsbury, better side than accrington over all but we cut through them with ease on a number of occasions, and we missed 2 or 3 gilt edged chances. I feel they may be a bit frail at the back.You often wonder if your ready to go at this stage, and sometimes look a game short. However I think we looked quick, slick and pretty incisive going forward and reasonably composed at the back. Cavannagh had an outstanding 45 mins, reads the game so well.I think we are ready.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Shrewsbury post match thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »

how did gillespie play ?did cavanagh really look that good ?wonder if marshall starts next week ?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:58:13 PM by Timperley The Best »

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »

Gillespie played well in his 45 minutes, won the penalty, they had two men on him

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 10:34:47 PM »

One eyed match report
http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/shrewsbury-town-fc/2014/08/01/altrincham-1-shrewsbury-town-2/
I notice their star sports reporter was at Moss Road.....that might explain his rather wacky view of proceedings !

brian1925

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »

The first post in this thread was spot on. We are ready.

markecky

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »

Thought we gave a very good account of ourselves against a Shrewsbury team who were very much up for it.  Stuart had a great game and it could have been 3-3 but for good work by both keepers.

Good all round display and a pleasing final game.  We did a couple of 5-6 man attacking moves in the second half that were superb.

I watched Sean Williams closely in the second half, I think he only gave it away once, was an absolute terrier in midfield, I think we have got a gem there.

Pleased with the signings, now they all have to work their tripe off, we've got to get behind them and stay patient through some of the tougher times and I think we will have a good season.

It feels like a good time to be an Alty fan at the moment, bring on the new season.

markecky

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »

More balanced match report on the Shrewsbury official site:

http://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/article/1aug14-altrincham-away-1798711.aspx

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 12:08:16 AM »

My first viewing of the new look Alty .

Verdict. - very pleased with what I saw.  Thought the new lads on display look capable of doing well in the Conf Prem. Nicki Clee was superb Sean Williams Cavanagh, Crowther and Gillespie looked good.

Thought Shrews were a good test and they knocked it around well especially in the first half. Hoped we would snatch a draw in the second half.

Shrews Ryan Woods was a class act..

I am not going to bang on about it all season but I'm sorry KP is not going to be much use to us this season. Why the f**k he isn't fit at this stage of a season is simply not good enough and is disrespectful to the management. (IMO).

Looking fwd to seeing the lads establish themselves in the Conf Prem.

Jenga

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 08:31:29 AM »

KP will be used in a specific role this season we will need him and we should get behind him.

Or

We can continue to have a go at him all season and contribute in demoralising him from the terraces.

Don't expect goals from he will be used to ruffle feathers, to wind up the opposition and be a general pain in the ass with flick ones or to hold up the ball.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 09:04:33 AM »

Agree with this, Chris. We seem to have forgotton the important part he played in challenging the goalkeeper in the Guisley final. The keepers arse must have touched the floor when he saw Kyle bearing down on him, and I was'nt in the least surprised when the keeper fumbled and let the ball run free for Greg.

It came very close to my prediction earlier in the season, when talking about his own fan club amongst the supporters, that I felt he may score the winning goal! He came very close my vision, but it did lead to a goal; and don't forget he scored 14 goals last season. All this backs up what Chris said above, and we should now get off his back and get behind rather than against him. He will play an important part to next season, as will every single player, or Lee would not have signed him.

Really looking forward to this season; and to start with, Aldershot will have one hell of a game to kick off with!!

brian1925

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 09:53:25 AM »

I know it was a friendly, but it was actually a very very good game, with plenty of decent players on show for both sides. I'm glad somebody else mentioned their classy number 7 Ryan Woods - I think he's destined for much bigger and better things. However, I'm really excited about the possibility of pairing Cav with Sean Williams in midfield, we could be in for a pretty decent season if the manager gets things right. I was particularly pleased and relieved to see Mike Williams give a cool and composed display as centre half in the second half. I can see Mike and Luca forming a bit of a defensive force for us this season. The criticism of Kyle can sometimes be a little bizzare. I thought he came on at half time and instantly added something different to the mix, causing their slightly shorter centre halves a problem or two in the opening part of the half and surely that's the entire point of having him in the team. Good God, he's not a footballer, but he does provide something different when it's needed and just constantly slagging him off all the time is pointless. In short, Lee has got plenty to ponder, as we have an entire squad of players who seem up for the challenge of the Conference National and we should all be feeling pretty bullish.

Jimmy

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 10:06:19 AM »

as good as mike Williams may look id make use of leather at centre half because it will probably be his last season before a leauge club buys him

brian1925

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 10:21:22 AM »

I like Scott and I want him to be in the first team, but I think Lee's view is that he should be gently introduced to the new league in much the same way he was to Conference North. Scott has the potential to play in the league one day and I feel the manager's view is probably right.

Jimmy

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »

I can't comment on Williams i haven't seen enough of him but leather is a better player than Luca and that's nothing against Luca I rate him highly it is pleasing to hear Williams looks in good shape regardless
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team