Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mick Woodward should be given the red carpet treatment on Tuesday....

Author Topic: Mick Woodward should be given the red carpet treatment on Tuesday....  (Read 1848 times)

markecky

So much seems to have happened since the 18 point deduction last season and its easy to forget what he did for us, I'm sure the club won't.

For our younger fans or those that have joined the rollercoaster this season, I'm sure you won't need reminding all about the 18 points deduction.

However when we got the decision and decided to rightly appeal we had no money for the expensve barristers or lawyers that you need to advise on points of law etc. 

Out of the blue Mick Woodward (Grays Chairman) rang the club and said that he was so outraged by the decision he would pay the costs of a top London QC to advise and represent us on the day. 

Estimates put the cost at £25 - £30,000.

At a time when most other clubs were plotting to ensure we went down this gesture was quite unbelievable.

Although we lost the appeal (an appeal it turns out we could never have won) this should not be forgotten.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Mick Woodward should be given the red carpet treatment on Tuesday....
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 12:28:26 PM »

110% agree with this.
Couldn't we give him a standing ovation at the start of the match (before, unfortunately, we take the three much-needed points).

If there're one other team apart from us I would hate to see relegated its Grays.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:11:46 PM »

I found it quite ironic really because a few people, myself included, had quite a negative outlook on Grays when we first came up together and thought they were a bit arrogant etc. However, since our first visit to their place when we had a really good laugh with their fans in the bar my view has changed completely.

I would never have guessed that out of all the clubs in this league it would be they who offered us such generous assistance in our hour of need. Their fans and Chairman are a credit to football.

GAFC

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:18:46 PM »

Some great remarks there about our chairman who got critised at stevenage on saturday,in all fairness he has done wonders for Grays,look forward to seeing you guys tomorrow.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Mick Woodward should be given the red carpet treatment on Tuesday....