PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 First game thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: First game thoughts?  (Read 12339 times)

oneedham

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
First game thoughts?
« on: August 06, 2016, 06:02:33 PM »

Pretty dire game.

Positives is in the first half we won the ball back a lot but negatives was when we got it up top we were very slow at catching up with play, hence why Lawrie had to play for free kicks.

Second half was not a great start but played better when Richman came on even though we conceded two but one being from a corner and the other a pen.

Impressed by Cyrus, Hannigan, Patterson, Lynch and Goodall.

Heathcote and Dawber are young but seem to be confidence players. We'll have to wait and see.

If we are to play that narrow without natural wide players then for me it has to be Goodall, Moult, Lynch and Richman.

Lawrie had a good game and normally does when he is up for it.

Clearly need a couple of quick, strong with good stamina wide players. Seriously consider Clee on what Guiseley have offered. Pay as you play deal. I am sure he won't be contracted to such a deal so defo worth a gamble.

Desperately need support for Reeves in a strong and quick forward who can get behind the defence. Doesn't have to be over 6ft tall - those days have gone unless you get someone like Parkin. We looked so slow going forward but the boys works hard.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 06:04:36 PM by oneedham »

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: First game thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 06:28:05 PM »

Agree with most of the above
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

TheGolfRoadView

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »

Also thought it was a generally low quality game.
For Alty i thought there were  too many long hopeful balls hit forward in hope rather than expectation.

Gutting to concede late pen but probably fair result with neither team creating to many chances, though we probably should have taken one of the chances we had in 2nd half at 1 0.

Definitely need another striker otherwise it could be  a tough season. Thought Dawber without being overly busy was solid though his kicking wasn't the greatest

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 07:21:46 PM »

Need some width, patterson at right back and a left footed left back for me.

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »

Dreadful..

No  width, no creativity. Back 4 were ok even though Heathcote isn't  a rb.

Playing 4-1-3-1-1 is never going to impress me.
Full time and proud of it

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 07:23:37 PM »

Dreadful..

Dreadful a touch harsh imo

taxi Phil

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 07:26:10 PM »

Miller was totally ineffective. Richman must start on Tuesday.

We'll need to keep very close tabs on Tom Denton who got a hat trick at Nuneaton today.

cheshire cat

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 07:31:33 PM »

Hopefully they're still finding their feet. No one of Clee's quality out there today. The goalie needs to stop waving and get on with it.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 07:55:29 PM »

I've slagged Dawber in pre season but I thought he had a very solid game today and wasn't at fault for either goal.

Cheadle Hulme Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 08:19:54 PM »

Dreadful..

Exactly how I saw it as well and to be honest, in comparison to the Conference National teams we've seen at Moss Lane over the last couple of years, Darlington were dreadful. I'd forgotten how bad the football is in the Northern league and how close it is to Sunday football! Defenders just whacking the ball aimlessly up the field and very little effort to actually build attacks from the back and through mid-field.

Sadly this looks like exactly how we are going to play as well. I fear it's going to be a long season.

ToffeeBlue

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 08:28:40 PM »

Discussion points:

Extra bulk or pace needed in central defence? Or Both?

No natural left footed service

Idiots on the pitch when the away team scored.  Dawber allegedly 'struck' and spat at....?

Won't know how good/bad this was until more games are played but note that Kiddy scored 6 at Curzon.

brinners

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 08:44:35 PM »

Kiddy signed up most of their young squad towards the end of last season in readiness for Conference North - will be the 'surprise' package I think.

AFC56

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 10:40:22 PM »

I don't think it was dreadful at all, thought there were some positives and some some obvious areas in which we will need to improve. The two centre halfs were superb, Paterson did well out of position and I think it's clear that Neil Young knows he needs to find a natural left back soon. Lots of energy and pressing in the middle of the park , but agreed we lacked some composure on the ball and we didn't keep hold of it well enough.  Alan Goodall will be just fine as a holding midfielder in this league and his positional play is good. Up top we were poor, desperately need a striker. As for the standard of the league it is what it is and it's where we are, I personally think this squad has more about it than last seasons (apart from Clee who I'd love back).

VofD

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 10:47:51 PM »

Dobson was absolutely awful. To take off Damian after 60 minutes (did not appear injured and had no decent service whatsoever) for that slow carthorse (even worse than Perry) does not bode well for the future imo.

ripleym

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 10:54:07 PM »

We lacked anyone who could run at opponents in the areas where it can hurt them (Lawrie aside, who I thought was superb).

I think Miller will do this eventually from what little I have seen of him.  I was somewhat bemused to see him start today, having only played one half of football for us this pre-season.  Billy Hasler-Cregg will also be able to do this, as will Harry Cain if not played as a left back (but even if played as a wing back will cause problems for teams).

I thought the formation was very defensive today, so presumably NY set us up to not give too much away against a team that has been watched, and who I think will do OK in this league.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 First game thoughts?