PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 On the Verge of Insulting
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On the Verge of Insulting  (Read 4985 times)

The Fan

« on: September 20, 2007, 08:20:07 AM »

Once, just once, I would love someone involved within the Club to come out with something other than "Remember what so and so has done for the club in the past" and actually front up and say "that performance was unacceptable and the fans deserve better" etc etc

I dont believe that anyone is anti-Heathcote - we are all pro-Alty. We just want the best for this club, whatever we perceive that to be.

For Mr Goodwin to directly mention this forum is a bit of a joke. As are quotes like:

"People expressing their opinions is fine but I think we deserve some respect and should not be slagged off" - surely then he only wants opinions that are agreeable (and thus not opinions)?

"If they are that dissatisfied they don't have to come to Moss Lane" - as someone who made a 250 mile round trip on Tuesday, this is bordering on the offensive.

Of course then Mr Heatcote has to throw in:

"All the people who are giving me one or two games to turn things around can play football manager" - eg, we dont know sh1te when we see it. If I did play computer games and my team did play like that, I would still get the sack.

"There's not a fan out there who will detract from my self-belief" - maybe not. Seemingly though, there is the odd one that can distract Mr Heathcote from watching his own side so as to remonstrate with him?

Like I said, any comments on this forum all have one thing in common. The people making them do so in the belief that their opinions are whats best for this club. That is what a forum is for.

Oh for the management to actually appreciate our frustration.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 08:28:51 AM by The Fan »

Daycare Dan

Re: On the Verge of Insulting
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 08:42:02 AM »

I did not think the comments emanating from the club could get any worse after the Messenger article, but to say fans should stay away is madness!! We love this CLUB not any individual or group and are entitled to our opinions. Nobody at this club should be above criticism, but it appears to me to be sounding like "This is the way things are, accept them or go away"

:-[

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 08:57:58 AM »

To be fair to Graham, he started his programme notes on Tuesday with an apology to everyone for the perfomance (the teams) at Woking.

I think that all most of us want after 9 games without a win really is for someone to lead us. Perhaps something along the lines of, 'you know I thought we'd have done better than this, it's a poor league that we're well capable of surviving in this year. Perhaps I have been over cautious at times and we should attack teams more although I would like people to appreciate that it isn't as easy as it looks and what someitmes appears odd to fans masks a lot of detail taht is genuinely hard to see when you just come to watch the game'.

That's all. GH will disagree but I know we can't continue playing 2 midfielders on the flanks, RL has not got the craft to play there, we need a regular left back and 4-5-1 especially at home reduces our attacking threat and does no favours to joe O'Neill in particular. We also have better players on the bench i.e. Pottsy. I'm sorry but after seeing us relegated last year (no dissent then strangely), and only accruing 3 pts so far and playing far better when we have a go at teams I beleive I'm right to express concern. More importantly, I have to be able to do so otherwise we're heading into an Orwellian fantasy.

What we don't need is defeatism, attacking didn't work and niether does this so we're buggered. We're trying to keep the faith here.

Likewise, looking back at the achievements of the past 5 years off the field, whilst of great credit to us, does not mean that we can rest on those laurels.

Geoff and Graham are right in some respects though. GH deserves the chance to get us out of this situation, he's earned that. Neither do any viewpoints need to get personal. I for one would love to see Graham still as our manager at the end of this season with us finishing 5th from bottom to add to his already legendary status.

I do feel though, that to go forward, we need to act like a club again. I don't think it would do GH any harm to feel as though a change of manager could be made, likewise the board. I'm sure GH wants his players to feel they play for their places. Maybe with such limited funds some of the players don't feel under pressure and have stopped listening to GH, who knows. Either way, I'm going to make an extra special effort on Saturday to get behind Graham and the team. I just hope he and they understand that.

One final thought: We, as spectators, know little (really) about the game at this level. I'm sure there is stuff that goes on the pitch that we can't even comprehend. I won't even go there. i'm sure Gh and DS know what they're doing. However, when 90% of fans have exactly the same concerns (Players out of position, reluctance to play certain players, cautious formations particularly at home, seeming acceptance of fate) might I suggest that it is time to throw the peasants some bread, regardless of whether they're not as hungry as they think they are?

markecky

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 09:10:18 AM »

When I woke up this morning, I hoped I would look at the website today and the statements would have been just a bad dream...

I've just typed a page long response agreeing, and I've just deleted it.  Whats the point?

We know the situation.  The fans know nothing and if you don't like it don't come.

As I said earlier, the sooner someone with a bit of PR sense takes over press statements the better.

Where is the rallying call?  The call for unity?

DarrenH

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 10:01:57 AM »

That to me is the particularly annoying bit. The attitude is definitely if you don't like it don't come. There has to be a wake up call here from someone. If people stay away, the attendences drop, the revenue drops, the playing budget drops etc etc.
As per my other posts if we are not permitted by the club to pass comment on the current situation what is the point of a forum like this.
The general comments always seem to be "look what we have done for the club" and "we are Altrincham". Whilst this is correct as many people have stated the club is bigger than the sum of its parts. The club is not there for the gratification of certain individuals.
I cannot accept this. Without the loyal and dedicated fan base that the club has there would be no club. Without the fundraising done by the fans there would be no club.
I think the manager and board would do well to remember that fact.
They would also do well to remember that payng customers have a right to an opinion.

louise1925

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 11:03:44 AM »

You know, for all the pessimism expressed on this forum over the past few weeks and all the heartache our present situation has caused, I have to say that some of the postings have been truly world class. This thread in particular is enough to bring tears to anyones eyes. I hope GH, GG, the players and as many fans as possible read it, because I think the vast majority of sentiments expressed would make everyone realise that our club has a lot of people who really care about it. Reading posts from fellas like Ballers would be the only incentive the players and management would need to raise their games. They have certainly raised my spirits! With that kind of support we can turn things around, we truly can. We just need to start communicating with one another and of course...get behind the lads on Saturday. That is all.

AltyG

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 11:16:06 AM »

Agree with Louise.  We all want one thing for this club and it is as much success as possible.  I usually find the forum entertaining, informative and sometimes controversial but it is all about opinions.  This week it has been dreadful and depressing comments like "On the verge of insulting" are totally wrong - we need to get positive.
I have always been a fan of GH (no one cares more about our club) and yes, like most on here, wonder about the current tactics but I am confident that he will get us further up the table.
So, as many others have said, let's get behind the whole team (that includes the board and management) on Saturday and for the rest of the season.   

markecky

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 11:33:37 AM »

You can't call peoples opinion wrong though Graham.  The lad who wrote the "verge of insulting" post was clearly insulted by what he had read.

In terms of the club you are spot on.  Nobody wants to see us fail as far as I can see. 

My point is that a statement from the club was needed that contained phrases like:

"we are in this together",
" lets get behind the lads",
"we will be doing everything we can to change this"
"we understand peoples frustrations but.."
" no is working harder than we are"
" our fans have been magnificent over the last five years and we really need them to get us through this difficult time"
"the board are committed to keeping this club in the Conference"
"we must all work together"

We didn't need the statements that we have got that have just fanned the flames of something people  already feel very strongly about.

That said, my support for Saturday will be as strong as ever.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 11:51:09 AM by markecky »

Sharp Street Alty

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 12:08:46 PM »

After having read Goodwin's diatribe I could stay silent no longer! I think both and Heathcote need reminding that it is the fans and ONLY the fans that make Altrincham FC what it is. Players, managers, board room members come and go all the time, we are there all the time.

To insult us by saying that if we don't like it, we shouldn't come is a stupid and idle threat because Goodwin knows that if we didn't, GH wouldn't have a job and Goodwin could go back to being an anonymous owner of a bus company - no plaudits, no acclaim, no nothing.
I am sure GH wants us to succeed but the fans, and especially season ticket holders, put their money in when they don't know what is going to be produced and WE ARE ENTITLED TO OUR OPINION and to critcise where we see fit.

Heathcote's recent tactics have left many baffled and the peformances are simply not good enough. As others have said, money and part time status is no excuse when you see teams like Farsely and Histon doing the biz. So come one, Goodwin and Heathcote give the fans respect and you in turn will be respected!

Frosty

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 12:11:09 PM »

AGREED

Chalkyj

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »

I have been an altrincham supportor for over thirty years and although I do not attend all the games, I was there on tuesday and feel that having read the many criticisms of the current Board/Chairman and Manager I feel that I would like to post my view and try to put my perspective on the situation.
The fact is that without a board and a manager of the commitmment of the current regime where would the club be? Could the fans on their own maintain the club at the level they are apparently expecting - I would suggest the answer is a deinite NO. It is easy to look at the league and quote clubs of the nature of Histon and Farsley and say we should be where they are, but ask yourselves where will they be in 12 months time and then judge us with them,  realistically it is actually those clubs like Northwich and stafford (clubs that like us have been at this standard for a long time, are part time and run on similar budgets) that we should be comparing ourselves to and yes they are struggling just like Alty. I have seen enough games to have seen that without being full time no club will ever win this league and every single game for the likes of Alty on low budgets and with parttime players will be a struggle, but I always leave Moss lane knowing that 110% effort from the players and management of the club has been given and that alone makes me return again.
It is obvious that both the chairman and the manager care deeply about this club and I would personally be disgusted if either of them were driven out by people who live in the short term and cannot see that the management are trying to ensure that the club has a long term existance and does not disappear into oblivion with the majority of clubs that were in the old Alliance Premier League. As Mr Goodwin alludes success can be bought (and I am sure that with a competitive budget GH would have success) but at what price!
Unfortunately in any league there has to be teams occupying positions at the bottom, all the statistics suggest that those occupying those positions currently will still be down there battling it out later on in the season and I think the majority realise this, but also realise that if the current management team and board continue there tenure that the club are in good hands and will come through stronger and more competitive in the long term
Message boards like these tend to be the residence of people who are full of extreme viewpoints and when people post negatively. these views seem to be held as the mojority view which in fact generally is not the case. And yes I know you pay your money you are welcome to you opinion - but so am I!
I stand 100% behind the current board and manager. They have my utmost respect in doing a job where for the minority - they will never be good enough.

Alty365

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 01:36:04 PM »

I stand 100% behind the current board and manager. They have my utmost respect

Do you, as a paying customer, have theirs though?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 02:31:03 PM »

After having read Goodwin's diatribe I could stay silent no longer! I think both and Heathcote need reminding that it is the fans and ONLY the fans that make Altrincham FC what it is. Players, managers, board room members come and go all the time, we are there all the time.

I'm not sure how to do a double quote answer thing so I'll do 2 seperate ones. I understand what SSA feels here but I would say that he.she is wrong to say the fans and ONLY the fans make Altrincham FC what it is. Fans come and go like players, managers etc some quicker than others.

The point is that Alty is not about any one individual or part of the club. It's about Alty, the fans who come, the players who play, the ground, the red and white shirt, the history, representing the town, being a football side, being an afternoons entertainment, the poeple who work behind the scenes, the manager, past wins, draws, losses and lots of other aspects of what we do.

That sounds a bit When Saturday Comes/Fever Pitch ish, the type of sh*te FCCUM go on about the soul is one and all that bollox. What I mean is, it's no one thing. My views don't mean jack, you wouldn't miss me if I wasn't there nor anyone else, even if we moved from Moss Lane somewhere we'd still be Alty, no one thing is more important than any of the others. Never has been, never will be.

Doesn't translate itself too well onto a psot but youknow what I mean.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:53:08 PM by Ballers »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 02:52:22 PM »

The fact is that without a board and a manager of the commitmment of the current regime where would the club be? Could the fans on their own maintain the club at the level they are apparently expecting - I would suggest the answer is a deinite NO. It is easy to look at the league and quote clubs of the nature of Histon and Farsley and say we should be where they are, but ask yourselves where will they be in 12 months time and then judge us with them,  realistically it is actually those clubs like Northwich and stafford (clubs that like us have been at this standard for a long time, are part time and run on similar budgets) that we should be comparing ourselves to and yes they are struggling just like Alty. I have seen enough games to have seen that without being full time no club will ever win this league and every single game for the likes of Alty on low budgets and with parttime players will be a struggle, but I always leave Moss lane knowing that 110% effort from the players and management of the club has been given and that alone makes me return again.

It is obvious that both the chairman and the manager care deeply about this club and I would personally be disgusted if either of them were driven out by people who live in the short term and cannot see that the management are trying to ensure that the club has a long term existance and does not disappear into oblivion with the majority of clubs that were in the old Alliance Premier League. As Mr Goodwin alludes success can be bought (and I am sure that with a competitive budget GH would have success) but at what price!

Message boards like these tend to be the residence of people who are full of extreme viewpoints and when people post negatively. these views seem to be held as the mojority view which in fact generally is not the case. And yes I know you pay your money you are welcome to you opinion - but so am I!
I stand 100% behind the current board and manager. They have my utmost respect in doing a job where for the minority - they will never be good enough.

Chalky, you make some very good points here. The very best one being about looking at Farsley and Histon at the moment. Altho small clubs we aren't privy to what sort of resources they are throwing at it at the moment and whether it is detrimental in the long term. You're absolutely right, in 12 months time they might be in St Albans league position and who knows faced with a tax bill/loan repayment anything. And indeed we should be comparing ourselves more to Vics and Stafford than these clubs initially.

The club would obviously still be struggling without GH and GG and co. We know that but if they left tomorrow, someone else would for better or worse take it on. Mind you, the day when no one would nearly came 5 years ago so I'm not trying to be disrepectful. Who does know, maybe we'd end up with supporters doing it and be in the north west counties in 3 years, or some local businessmen will look at it with ambition. WHo's to say? Not sure I want to find out to be honest with you.

No one doubts that those at the club care about it deeply. But short ermism. I can't find one of my mates and no one on this forum either that appears to think we should be in the top half of the table. Moreover, I can't recall one single post where someone has said, for gods sake throw an extra £1000 in the weekly wage budget, spend what we haven't got merely to survive. Not one, lets not confuse this with long term supporters being bewildered by selections etc which imo is one of the main problems at the mo.

Also, you're right these sort of forums do have extreme views on them. What I would say though is that largely these people get shouted down somewhat. People have supported GH fully over the past couple of years.  I think the thing here is some of the people expressing opinions. I ignore hecklers and hotheads, and I know there are people out there who dislike Graham Heathcote, you can spot them a mile of but when people like Ecky, Hughesy, GW, Joe, Trucker and co are worried then clearly something is wrong. If you don't know these lads, they're sensible, follow us all over and are as more aware of the situation than most, real moderates really. I'm not saying they're like a Jedi council of Alty fans of anything but put it this way, if you came into the bar and Dennis Birch was pissed off you'd ignore him, when you see some of these lads aren't happy you think, wel...

Maybe the best thing to do is let it ride for a couple of days, the waters seem muddied enough as it is.

DarrenH

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 02:56:39 PM »

To me it seems the point is being missed by some.
It is not the lack of ambition or the lack of respect for the GH and GG and co it is the lack of respect that has been shown to the fans that has got peoples backs up.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team