PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Boreham Wood Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Boreham Wood Match Thread  (Read 10307 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Boreham Wood Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2023, 07:54:11 PM »

We suffered the consequences of failing to capitalise on our first-half superiority. Conn-Clarke was guilty of squandering three excellent chances due to overplaying or taking unnecessary touches (our old chum, Mister Dinanga, would have been slaughtered for such profligacy!).

Splendid finish by Linney, but it all rather went downhill in the second half, especially after our two most effective attacking players were withdrawn.

Kosylo endured one of those afternoons when virtually nothing went right and I'm still waiting for Angus to offer me a glimmer of promise.

Boreham Wood deserved their point on a somewhat frustrating afternoon.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2023, 08:04:03 PM »

Thought CCC was having an off day today,  would have hooked him instead of Linney. Borehamwood are a physical team who have the knack of getting away with niggly fouls. We seemed to lose our way in the second half, and let them back into it. Isaac was MoM, Osbourne is better than he was last season but still has  silly errors and gives away fouls in dangerous positions. James Jones is not good at right back., he got skinned for their equaliser similar to the Halifax game last season.

A point was a fair result in the end,

Referee was abysmal at best.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2023, 08:07:42 PM »

Very fair and accurate summary imho. 👍
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2023, 08:47:00 PM »

I thought Osborne was excellent in the first half, but, once we allowed Boreham Wood to bully us into playing so deep that I expected Jacques Cousteau to appear in our penalty area, he became less effective and eventually gave away a free kick in a dangerous position. Fortunately it was wasted.

At half time I fancied us to win. By the hour mark I feared we would lose.

The tendency to substitute Linney puzzles me. He didn't look to be injured, and his performance levels looked OK. Instead we got Angus who is basically underwhelming.

CCC had the worst game I can remember seeing from him - even the "assist" to the goal was miscued. Hopefully it was a one-off.

If you'd told me we'd be unbeaten after 4 games, I'd probably have questioned your sanity - but there are still things that need fixing.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2023, 08:56:21 PM »

If we can fix them and remain unbeaten then we're in for a decent season! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2023, 09:54:20 PM »

If we can fix them and remain unbeaten then we're in for a decent season! 😉
That's the positive way to look at it, and there's no reason why not to. At least, having declined during the second half and allowing Boreham Wood to get their deserved point, we have maintained that unbeaten record.

Not for the first time, I have to regret us not taking full advantage of our period of dominance.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2023, 08:24:07 AM »

interesting that luke garrard in his interview thought both teams looked tired even at this stage of the season due to the extra 55 mins they've played. Maybe  training might need to start including an afternoon nap.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2023, 08:46:13 AM »

interesting that luke garrard in his interview thought both teams looked tired even at this stage of the season due to the extra 55 mins they've played. Maybe  training might need to start including an afternoon nap.
We wilted second half, Gerrard is correct, leggy, tired whatever, dont think 23c helped. Shame we couldn't get the 2nd goal in first half we deserved. Missing Donawa option. Bench was poor. Disappointed with Dior so far, showed promise at Lancaster, hopefully will improve with match time. Pleased with a point but still think 2 dropped based on 1st half.

Alty Bri

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2023, 10:10:37 AM »

I've been away so only seen the D&R game.

It's probably worth noting that some of our players e.g. Angus, Roscoe, Jones barely kicked a ball in anger pre-season so please give them time.

I've said since the Lancaster game that we are a LW short. Some bloke was on trial so Parky must also have thought this too. Hopefully this can be addressed soon.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2023, 11:39:27 AM »

I've been away so only seen the D&R game.

It's probably worth noting that some of our players e.g. Angus, Roscoe, Jones barely kicked a ball in anger pre-season so please give them time.

I've said since the Lancaster game that we are a LW short. Some bloke was on trial so Parky must also have thought this too. Hopefully this can be addressed soon.

I suspect that we'd dip into the loan market again once clubs have taken a good look at their squads a few more games in.

Ukrainian Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2023, 12:37:25 PM »

We really rocked first half and after Reggie scored I really thought that we might massacre them. It would have been smashing if we could have been out of sight by half time as I truly believe we deserved to be. They employed physical tactics from the beginning and these increased as the referee chose to allow them, time over time again to trip, push and kick our players openly and with impunity.  They were clearly a physically fit group of players and they sought to launch the ball in a variety of different forms towards the Alty penalty area.  As Parky pointed out in his after-match chat with Brian Flynn, we absorbed their high ball tactics and their physical manhandling only to come unstuck by a pulled back cross of the kind usually taken care of by us as a matter of routine.

I was disappointed to see our best two performing players of the day replaced and after they were gone Boreham looked as though they might steal it.  On reflection, I see the importance of protecting our assets to ensure that they will be fit and available to play against the Spirites next Saturday.

I thought #19, Sousa, was good for them.

Elliot continues to impress me but needs to be less reckless with some of his tackling.

ALTYFC are simply the best... and better than all the rest!     

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2023, 07:36:28 PM »

Just seen the highlights, couldn't go yesterday.

James Jones does seem to get skinned a bit too easily on occasion - there's absolutely no way the full back should be allowed to get to the byline from where he started.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Boreham Wood Match Thread