PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Level playing field
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Level playing field  (Read 4443 times)

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Level playing field
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 07:47:25 PM »

surely the whole point is the club should see what it can afford and then try to do their best within those financial constraints. if we somehow found ourselves in the 4th division i believe we should do just that and if it means going down again so be it. you never know we might win the agm cup!

though i see bournmouth have caught up now - chester or grimbsby next year? pity really as i was looking forward to a weekend in bournmouth next year

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 10:21:34 PM »

surely the whole point is the club should see what it can afford and then try to do their best within those financial constraints. if we somehow found ourselves in the 4th division i believe we should do just that and if it means going down again so be it. you never know we might win the agm cup!

though i see bournmouth have caught up now - chester or grimbsby next year? pity really as i was looking forward to a weekend in bournmouth next year

I'm really hoping it's Chester - It's only 3 miles away from here!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Aussie Bob

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 10:45:56 PM »

When Alty won the Alliance back to back they always said they would stay part time if they got promoted...the full time wages paid by league clubs then were probably more realistic and a part time player with a reasonable job could match it or be on more money than the full timer. With the credit crunch i think that a well run part time club could compete with full timers and it could be considered a good career move for footballers in the lower leagues.
The way things are with clubs going into admin left right and center we could get promoted via the AGM cup ... 

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 10:49:09 PM »

Spot on posts by many
A trip to Wembley in the FA Trophy final is a realistic dream, as is a 3rd round FA cup game away at somewhere winnable i.e Anfield ?
However, 'safe' for the last home game & CSC cup winners this season will be almost as good !

Nothing wrong with targets, but they must be realistic. Dave Pace entered the Conference last season with the aim of winning it. He said so in the NPL, however I am sure he really just wanted to stablisise at this level.
We must ensure that complacency does not set in and expections are not too high next season or we could be in for a shock.

Similarly fundraising efforts will still be much needed, despite some thinking the club is now awash with money after the car park sale etc

Mick,

I'd settle for just winning one FA Trophy tie....!

We haven't won a game in that competition since February 2005.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 05:09:24 PM »

It's not all it's cracked (no pun intended) up to be. I lived there for a few years.

Boscombe...back of the net.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

jiminlondon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 08:33:03 PM »

]

It's not all it's cracked (no pun intended) up to be. I lived there for a few years.

but compared to grimbsby?

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »

]

but compared to grimbsby?

Indeed. After all it's not Grimsby, but the delights of Cleethorpes that would be on offer

"We piss on your fish, yes we do, yes we do"

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Jacko

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 05:18:07 PM »

Its a strange time as so many teams are administration-cutting budgets-deducted points-relegated situation but yet there are clubs like AFC Wimbledon that await also!!

its such a mad climate in football+ our vital experianced players careers are ending i doubt very much we will stay a mid table conferance side,

will swing either way IMO
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Level playing field