PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Level playing field
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Level playing field  (Read 4442 times)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Level playing field
« on: February 26, 2009, 09:10:54 AM »

Whilst we're on the subject of Weymouth and Northwich, overspending etc I thought....

IF !! (it probably never will) the BSP was a level playing field and clubs spent only what they could afford, (transfers of players etc) and the teams that are in such dire mess were more prudent and realistic, where exactly would that leave Alty ?

If this seasons current achievements are anything to go by, we could probably well be in the play-offs, BUT we sure as hell are not ready for promotion to league 2, we probably wouldnt be able to stay part time neither. So where would that leave us, would we be able to say thanks but no thanks and continue in the BSP ?

fuertes

Re: Level playing field
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »

We'd have to accept our place the League, there would be much increased revenue to help cover the cost of going full-time. Plus, we'd be smart enough to keep the squad fairly small and accept that we'd be fighting relegation rather than go nuts and put the club into financial trouble.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:22:12 AM »

We'd have to accept our place the League, there would be much increased revenue to help cover the cost of going full-time. Plus, we'd be smart enough to keep the squad fairly small and accept that we'd be fighting relegation rather than go nuts and put the club into financial trouble.

But that's my point, most of our squad want to be PART TIME, they have other sources of income, and other careers lined up, so we would lose most of our first team. I'd rather stay in the BSP with players that want to play at Alty, or do we have a bunch of prima donnas who are 'happy to collect their wages' every week ?

I also think the club infrastructure is not ready for the league, our chairman (great as he is) just wouldn't have the time needed to be a 'chairman' of a league side, how much work would need doing on the ground ?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:30:47 AM »

Whilst this is interesting to muse over, I don't think we'll ever see Alty in Div 2 in my lifetime (and I've got another 30 years or so yet before you check out the fact I'm an old corger!) so we don't need to worry about it.

The only exception to this is if I (or one of several other on this forum) come up big on the rollover Euromillions ... then it's Choo choo all the way up the leagues!  ::) ;D
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:33:57 AM »

Whilst this is interesting to muse over, I don't think we'll ever see Alty in Div 2 in my lifetime (and I've got another 30 years or so yet before you check out the fact I'm an old corger!) so we don't need to worry about it.

The only exception to this is if I (or one of several other on this forum) come up big on the rollover Euromillions ... then it's Choo choo all the way up the leagues!  ::) ;D

I agree, and I would love to finish top half every season, but I just wondered what people's views were if everything was 'levelled out'

fuertes

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:35:33 AM »

I'm sure some would jump at the chance to go full-time (Densmore for one), others would not (Denham for example). But players can be replaced.

I think our ground would be acceptable to the League in the short term, we'd need to upgrade should we be in the League for three years or something (I'm not au fait with the regulations but it's something like that).

I take your point about GG though...

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 09:44:07 AM »

Getting into the spirit of the thing then, there's no reason why we'd have to go fully fulltime and could still accomodate the best part-timers - especially with the money you get as a league team for youth academies. The seven/eight fulltimers could train with the YTS lads we had on that part of the week and with the rest of the squad to or three times a week. I think 'natural wastage' would gravitate us to a full time squad in two or three years.
As for the ground, we've already got the grading for league 2 but, as Accy have just found out, you've got to have 2000 seats in after 3 years and a minimum 5000 capacity (they're getting a load of secondhand seats from some random Scottish League club and putting them behind one goal I think) All it would mean is that the centre of the popular side would probably need to be seated - as was the intention when the new roof was put on.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 11:03:17 AM »

back to my theory of the 4th Division SHOULDN'T be all full time anyway and clubs need to realise this before its yet again too late..

Narcissist

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 12:06:10 PM »

I cant see us averaging 2000 at home in league 2. Id just be happy with ave 1600-1800 and being a top 8 side in this league for 5 or 6 years first.

Im still made up we're in the conference again. It seemed a distant hope at one point.

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 12:16:12 PM »

What people dont seem to realise is that we are in the same situation as we were in the early 80's - the top Part-Time club in the country.
Back then the APL was all part-time clubs.
What scared players and clubs in Football League was that if we got promoted we would stay part time and still we would rise very quickly and set a presidence where other clubs in the FL would also go part-time.
Being a part-time club and a League club as well would attract the top non league players and also others that would be finacially better of having 2 jobs than one full time job as a low League club player. In the early 80's we already had a better side than any third or fourth division club - hence the reason their chairmen did not want us in the Football League.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 12:16:52 PM »

Frankly I'd settle for being in the black, not being afraid of relegation every year ... and the occasional cup run to liven things up!

Mid-tale mediocrity is fine for me for a few years  :D

Jenga

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 12:34:45 PM »

I hope that some day we will make the 2nd division in my lifetime i really do - 40 to 50 years to go then (damn i dont want to be 90 lol).

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 12:44:49 PM »

I basically agree with OGC's point above. I think it would be nice just to have a few consistent years of performing well in the league, having good cup runs and maybe getting to Wembley for the Trophy Final. This, in turn, would help build up our hardcore support and bring in more money through fa cup winnings and tv coverage.

I think we're playing at our natural level now and it is all we can ask for the team to be competitive and successful whilst playing in this league.
Come on Alty!

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 03:53:33 PM »

I basically agree with OGC's point above. I think it would be nice just to have a few consistent years of performing well in the league, having good cup runs and maybe getting to Wembley for the Trophy Final. This, in turn, would help build up our hardcore support and bring in more money through fa cup winnings and tv coverage.

I think we're playing at our natural level now and it is all we can ask for the team to be competitive and successful whilst playing in this league.

I think that's what I meant to say! Have a G

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 07:23:10 PM »

Spot on posts by many
A trip to Wembley in the FA Trophy final is a realistic dream, as is a 3rd round FA cup game away at somewhere winnable i.e Anfield ?
However, 'safe' for the last home game & CSC cup winners this season will be almost as good !

Nothing wrong with targets, but they must be realistic. Dave Pace entered the Conference last season with the aim of winning it. He said so in the NPL, however I am sure he really just wanted to stablisise at this level.
We must ensure that complacency does not set in and expections are not too high next season or we could be in for a shock.

Similarly fundraising efforts will still be much needed, despite some thinking the club is now awash with money after the car park sale etc
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Level playing field