Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The greatest match performance by an alty player ever?
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The greatest match performance by an alty player ever?  (Read 4804 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The greatest match performance by an alty player ever?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 03:46:24 PM »

Barry Howard's scintillating performance in that memorable 3-0 FA Cup First Round Replay victory over Sheffield United at Moss Lane back in November 1981 was something to behold.

And I seem to recall Ian Craney baling us out almost single-handedly on a few occasions during the Unibond League Dark Ages.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 03:53:48 PM »

Barry Howard's scintillating performance in that memorable 3-0 FA Cup First Round Replay victory over Sheffield United at Moss Lane back in November 1981 was something to behold.

And I seem to recall Ian Craney baling us out almost single-handedly on a few occasions during the Unibond League Dark Ages.
Scintillating indeed, but part of an outstanding team performance.

Stu practically got us past Nuneaton unaided.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »

Indeed Cult, none more so than this iirc.

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/040420wn.htm

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 04:12:20 PM »

Dear God, that was a harrowing and nervous evening!

I still have occasional nightmares about Jamie Baguley's ludicrous 25 yards backpass to Stuart...
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Robins Retweet

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 05:26:49 PM »

Its interesting no one has metioned many recent outfield players for this  ???

thegazelle

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 09:01:35 PM »

jeff johnston at home against southport in the 4-3 cup game and at the end of his career in the trophy semi second leg away at boston either was outstanding. but incredible how many nominations stuart gets in this for different games, what a legend he is

altyf

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »

Dear God, that was a harrowing and nervous evening!

I still have occasional nightmares about Jamie Baguley's ludicrous 25 yards backpass to Stuart...

Never have I come so close to actually sh*tting my pants as that moment. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Coburn against Nuneaton for me, we should have been a few down when Rod scored, I've never seen a keeper make so many acrobatic saves in 90 minutes.

Speaking of strikers scoring 4 in one game, Leroy away at Whitby, the night he wore his tights.

Incidentally, here is their match report from that game, very odd hearing us described as 'big-spending Altrincham'!

Whitby Town 1- 4 Altrincham

23rd January - Whitby Town faced their toughest test at home today against high flying and big spending Altrincham. With a decent crowd inside the Turnbull, it was Altrincham who drew first blood, when Chambers tapped in after a cross from the left was flicked on. Whitby started to get themselves back into the game and finally equalised when Paul Pitman struck in the 30th after some neat football from the Blues. Whitby appeared to be holding their own, but with the behind Altrincham in the second half the Cheshire side played their aces. On 55 minutes Chambers burst from what looked like an offside position to make the score 2-1, and he claimed his hattrick in the 78th when he scored after being a clear 2 yards offside. Chambers made it 4-1 to the robins in the 87th with a fine solo effort to compound the Seasiders misery. Overall, Altrincham showed that they have the class and the toughness for promotion, exposing Whitby's poor home form. They are the best team to play at the Turnbull this season, but Whitby can take heart from the fact that we are new this level, and we'll be there one day.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:09:11 PM by Niall Flynn (La Paz Alty) »

Randy Konk

• Reserve Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »

Can't disagree with everyone nominating Stuart Coburn's performance against Nuneaton - terrific.

Also mentioned further up - Val Owen at Kettering but the game swung a bit earlier for me when Jamie Paterson went off injured for them....
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The greatest match performance by an alty player ever?