News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Guiseley

Author Topic: Guiseley  (Read 2904 times)

brian1925

Guiseley
« on: May 10, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »

I know it has probably been said on numerous other threads, but can I just say that all the fans, players and management that came from Guiseley today were a true credit to their club.
And how many times have we seen a team actually try and play football against us this season, without hoofing the ball into the clouds, or employing some dubious physical tactics? Until today I  hadn't seen it at all. They actually beat us at our game at times, counter attacking with 7 players at breakneck speed, which at times made us look pedestrian. We won because I think we had a bit more gas left in the tank in the last 10 minutes of the second period of extra time, plus some brilliant substitutions from our much beleagured manager.
In 25 years of following Alty I cannot remember seeing a game played between two such evenly matched teams, neither at all defensive, yet possessing some brilliant defenders capable of playing at a much higher level. If Luca was to leave (God forbid), I'd love Danny Ellis.

York Alty

Re: Guiseley
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:10 PM »

Is it heresy to suggest signing Drench? Stuart is a legend and yes I do feel guilty suggesing it!

congrats to Guiseley. Tough way to lose any match let alone a play off final.

Hulme Robin

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:26 PM »

Felt sorry for their fans stuck outside the ground after the game waiting for their coach. They must have waited in the rain for ages listening to us cheer like loons inside the ground.

brian1925

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »

Not heresy at all. Stu will be the first to admit that he can't go on for ever and Drench is a fabulous keeper. In fact there are a number a wonderful keepers in Conference North. Both the Hednesford and Harrogate keepers looked very decent.

York Alty

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 09:38:24 PM »

Think he is a Manchester lad? Anyway probably a bit cheeky talking about snaffling their players on a day like this.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »

surely luca wont leave unless he signs for a league club or cant make conf premiier travelling

Tinpot Lover from LPool

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:56:28 PM »

Cheers for comments. Had a terrific day out. It was great to see such a big crowd and then to get a game like we did. I didn't come away distraught, I thought you were probably the better team over the 120 mins altho' we perhaps had the clearer chances. Think we missed Bosh (but we have him all to ourselves next year) - Potts was a poor replacement - and Brooksby (Thank you NFU who kicked him out of this game!).
Thought your midfield was excellent (No 7 and 11 stand-outs for me) as were you fullbacks who were always available. Disappointed by Wally and Reeves tho' that probably reflects the play of Ellis and Hall.
Special mention to ar' Stu in goal who always joins in with the banter. If only there were more like him.
It's always a pleasure to play Alty - you're pleasing on the eye, have a proper non-league history, a proper ground and friendly fans. You clearly are deserving of another chance in the Premier and we hope to join you in 2015-6!

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »

Cheers for comments. Had a terrific day out. It was great to see such a big crowd and then to get a game like we did. I didn't come away distraught, I thought you were probably the better team over the 120 mins altho' we perhaps had the clearer chances. Think we missed Bosh (but we have him all to ourselves next year) - Potts was a poor replacement - and Brooksby (Thank you NFU who kicked him out of this game!).
Thought your midfield was excellent (No 7 and 11 stand-outs for me) as were you fullbacks who were always available. Disappointed by Wally and Reeves tho' that probably reflects the play of Ellis and Hall.
Special mention to ar' Stu in goal who always joins in with the banter. If only there were more like him.
It's always a pleasure to play Alty - you're pleasing on the eye, have a proper non-league history, a proper ground and friendly fans. You clearly are deserving of another chance in the Premier and we hope to join you in 2015-6!
Top post. You must be gutted at losing out again though. But if you can just get the momentum going at the start next season you must be a very good bet to win it outright at last. Best wishes for that campaign.

Tinpot Lover from LPool

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 10:16:21 PM »

Top post. You must be gutted at losing out again though. But if you can just get the momentum going at the start next season you must be a very good bet to win it outright at last. Best wishes for that campaign.
This year is not so bad. To just get a day like today is pretty amazing when you consider where we were when we last came over to Moss Road! We at least performed in the play-offs this year and on another day might have even snatched it. The last 2 seasons we just haven't turned up to either Nuneaton or Fax. Let's hope you follow their trends rather than do a Chesterl. For a start you're far better than both Telford and Southport. Anyway best of luck.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:18:28 PM by Tinpot Lover from LPool »

Hamilton

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »

With all the Alty adulation and cheer just a word of thought for the Guiseley fans & players. I know how I would have felt to lose like that, but by all accounts Guisley were a credit to their club and the conference and wish you well for next season.

WiganAlty

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 10:48:29 PM »

From the Guisely forum:

"I can't form sentences about the game itself yet but we can all be proud of our club today from directors, to staff, to players, to volunteers and to fans. We did ourselves proud and those scenes of the two sets of fans applauding each other after the final whistle will stay with me for many years to come. Well done to everyone who packed that end out and, alongside the Alty fans, and two well-reffed and ultra-committed teams of players, showed off non-league football at its very best."

Sums everything up about non-league. Both sets of supporters a credit to their clubs, and best of luck to Guiseley for next season.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Guiseley